996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Please provide your 60-130 times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean

I agree, if what we want to see only is who does the fastest time, however if we are trying to establish how cars compare HP-wise or compare vs. magazine tests etc. then there needs to be consistency, all Porsche cars will go through 2 gear changes from 60-130mph if they start from zero like a quartermile (996TT will be 2nd-3rd-4th, 993TT will be 3rd, 4th, 5th)
I think as long as it is known, it is no issue, however the times will not be comparable to magazines
Just curious.... If I went to the Drag strip and was brave enough(stupid enough?) to dump my clutch at 6K in a 2nd gear start and posted a better time than I have.... would I have to disclose it was a 3 shift run?Would I have a question mark near my time? Heck, one less shift is .4-.5 tenths reduction. The point I am trying to make is these times are for reference only- legislating all the variables would be difficult if not impossible. Should we all buy sequential boxes like Jean- he has a substantial advantage shifting over us mortals with stock transmissions. Lowest time should stand. Like Jean said, a graph will show every shift anyway... you cannot hide that fact. Just my thoughts, but I will defer to Jean, Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 10-31-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:25 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KPG
Lowest time should stand. Like Jean said, a graph will show every shift anyway... you cannot hide that fact. Just my thoughts, but I will defer to Jean, Kevin
I guess this pretty much covers it.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, not trying to set rules on anyone. I am only listing the differences and my perspective. It (shifts) just needs to be disclosed for transparency purposes and in any case no time should be posted without the moderator having checked/seen the numbers, graph or file. It already sounds like a pain and we have not started posting times!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Alright...so to clarify:

-Drivers will start the acceleration runs anywhere from 0-45 mph, to ensure everyone has attained full boost before they hit 60 mph (earlier the better for the guys with big turbos).

-Only fastest times will be posted. Not # of shifts.

-All graphs will be reviewed, as well as posted...so that everyone can see what was happening during the run. If people want to break down the amount of shifts from the posted graphs for discussion purposes, that's fine. But the list will stand as fastest to slowest....regardless of shifts.

Easy!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
I'd like to see some standardized measurment of lag and low end torque.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ebaker
I'd like to see some standardized measurment of lag and low end torque.
An extrapolation from 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile Trap Speeds will give you a very good idea how much a lag a car has.

I can verify HP from Trap Speed and weight....but I'm not sure how to measure torque other on a dyno.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:45 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Are we going with a 0 to 100 mph list too?

Old 10-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Are we going with a 0 to 100 mph list too?
Short distances like that are mostly dependent on launch, and since it only show's E.T./Elapsed Time (since 100 mph is always the Trap Speed), I don't think it is much of a benefit.

Also...due to the increased distance, I think the 1/4 mile is a much better measurement of E.T. than 0-100 is (for cars like ours that can go well over 100 mph in the 1/4 mile, that is).

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-31-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
An extrapolation from 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile Trap Speeds will give you a very good idea how much a lag a car has.

I can verify HP from Trap Speed and weight....but I'm not sure how to measure torque other on a dyno.
Scott,

When you reach the 1/8th you are most likely at the end of third gear on a stock 996TT gearing and RPM. Then when you change to 4th gear (from redline) your RPM drops to about 5500RPMs in 4th and then to about 5800RPMs when you shift to 5th to go through traps. I therefore think that lag will not be there at all since you will be on almost full boost everytime you shift. Does it make sense? That is why I don't think lag has much to do with the quartermile, except in 1st-2nd gear where you drop to about 3900RPMs and therefore you might encounter some limited lag, but I would think almost none. The larger turbos you have the faster you will do the quartermile it seems. Lag will be there when the car is under load starting in third gear for example at 2k RPMS or a 60-130mph run if you start in third.

As far as measuring real torque on the ground, with a datalogger you can see precisely the long Gs under which your car is accelerating, from that data you can work backwards to get to thrust, then torque at the wheels, and finally through the gear ratios, to the real engine torque dyno. It is not for the faint of heart but can be done with some work.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:00 PM
I have doine this chart that shows the gearing for a 996TT with the RPM drops (sorry it is in KPH), maybe this will make more sense. The thick redline is where the RPs will drop between gears. 1/8th would be somewhere close to redline in 3rd. on a rather fast 996.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Jean; 10-31-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9.grand
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. If you punch it at 60mph then you'll need to brake boost or you'll lose some time while the turbos spool, even on a car without much lag. If you punch it at say 30mph and come blasting by 60mph with full boost and a lot of momentum already built up it'll cut way down on your result times.
Exactly, but the way i first did it i originally thought shows your cars TRUE performance, guess not

Started using the driftbox today in my G35 just messing around with it trying to learn it, its extremely confusing, especially since i live in Dix Hills/Huntingon NY, hardly any roads are FLAT besides major roads, where there is traffic, cops and so on. So bottom line is, this thing will have to be done late, late night! I have a spot in mine where its flat for miles, a parkway and usually no cars on it, cops scare me but i really want to test this thing with my car, i might just drive around today/tonight and see what spots are best, i was messing around and getting SO MAD because there was literally nowhere to use it. I got 2 0-60 times and one was 6.1 with me and friend in car other 18 seconds which was bogus, it bugged out!

Old 10-31-2006, 02:58 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Whatever makes you go faster by 60mph to each his own I guess. I have not tried different ways, I typically get to about 50mph and then slam the throttle.

Videos and stop watches can be all over the place, the accurate way to measure this as a benchmark is through a GPS datalogger. We have seen very often 1 second or more differences between our stop watch/video times and a GPS datalogger.

What does matter is whether it was done with one shift or two and it should be disclosed (it can be seen on the datalogs anyway).
Yea your right, but videos can certainly give a general idea, just not pinpoint, stay tuned!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:01 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Exactly, but the way i first did it i originally thought shows your cars TRUE performance, guess not

Started using the driftbox today in my G35 just messing around with it trying to learn it, its extremely confusing, especially since i live in Dix Hills/Huntingon NY, hardly any roads are FLAT besides major roads, where there is traffic, cops and so on. So bottom line is, this thing will have to be done late, late night! I have a spot in mine where its flat for miles, a parkway and usually no cars on it, cops scare me but i really want to test this thing with my car, i might just drive around today/tonight and see what spots are best, i was messing around and getting SO MAD because there was literally nowhere to use it. I got 2 0-60 times and one was 6.1 with me and friend in car other 18 seconds which was bogus, it bugged out!
Martin, if properly setup it doesnt "bug out".... If you thought you made it to 60 and stopped short of the 60mph it will just keep the timer running until you get to 60 again. Do not use the cars speedo. Everytime you stop... it will reset its 0-60.If I followed the my cars speedo my 60-130 runs would be 2 minutes becasue at 130 I was only going 125. Kevin

Old 10-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Martin, if properly setup it doesnt "bug out".... If you thought you made it to 60 and stopped short of the 60mph it will just keep the timer running until you get to 60 again. Do not use the cars speedo. Everytime you stop... it will reset its 0-60.If I followed the my cars speedo my 60-130 runs would be 2 minutes becasue at 130 I was only going 125. Kevin
OHHHHHHH yea you could be right, i hit the brakes right at the 60mph, so that .x could have made the whole difference wow, its pretty accuarte though with a few things i tested.

Question though, for the 35-75, 50-100 or w/e tests, does it do this automatically if i just go all out in acceleration 1 mode, or do i have to click through the menu and set everything up like i had to check off the 1 foot rollout?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by iLLM3
OHHHHHHH yea you could be right, i hit the brakes right at the 60mph, so that .x could have made the whole difference wow, its pretty accuarte though with a few things i tested.

Question though, for the 35-75, 50-100 or w/e tests, does it do this automatically if i just go all out in acceleration 1 mode, or do i have to click through the menu and set everything up like i had to check off the 1 foot rollout?
Martin it will log everything... there should be no check mark on 1 ft roll out.... that just simulates the rollout at the 1/4 mile. Kevin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please provide your 60-130 times