996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upsolute Turbo, Stage 2 Turbo, Stage 4gt GT2, Sportec RS6, MB E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Shank, you need to get your smileys updated.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:47 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Maybe some of us Bay Area guys should get together and do the same thing. Lets get a few 996TTs with different stage mods from different tuners and do some side-by-side runs on the freeway .....safely of course. It would be fun!

Old 02-09-2004, 11:11 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Actually...i want to run a stage III and compare the results.

Any stageIII guys in the NJ/NY/CT area?

At the last Dyno event at AWE, there was a FVD StageIII that had numbers (HP/Torque) less than my ecu/exhaust combo.

Im wondering performance wise how I would stack up against that car (especially with the K24 turbos). I would guess that as we're in the 100+mph range, it would slowly start to walk away.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by John in Norcal
Maybe some of us Bay Area guys should get together and do the same thing. Lets get a few 996TTs with different stage mods from different tuners and do some side-by-side runs on the freeway .....safely of course. It would be fun!
There was a bay area meet on the 31st of Janurary. Here are some pics: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...?threadid=5070

Old 02-09-2004, 11:46 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Cool thread and sounds like it was a fun night!!
Good FX there mehrabani

Old 02-09-2004, 12:18 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by mehrabani1
There was a bay area meet on the 31st of Janurary. Here are some pics: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...?threadid=5070
I was there at that meet but with 90 cars of all P-models caravaning down Hwy 1, it's hard to get side-by-side runs to compare performance.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by John in Norcal
I'm down..

Old 02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by LSM
It is hard to say. My friend drives like a pu_ _ y. He never really engaged anyone. The E55 is scary fast though, I can tell you that. The RS6 seems to be right there, and a modded one should be faster. I think the mags test the E55's straight line performance as slightly better?

Lou

Apparently the E55 is king of 60-100 in the tests they ran (all sedans - M5, E55, RS6, S-type R) but is not the best at standing acceleration likely due to weight and rear wheel drive. The RS6 beat it to 60 but from what I remember it SPANKED all the other cars at high speeds, just kept getting faster and faster.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:19 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by teutonictrio
Apparently the E55 is king of 60-100 in the tests they ran (all sedans - M5, E55, RS6, S-type R) but is not the best at standing acceleration likely due to weight and rear wheel drive. The RS6 beat it to 60 but from what I remember it SPANKED all the other cars at high speeds, just kept getting faster and faster.
A car mag ( I think it was Car and Driver or R&T ) did this a few months ago to simulate real world passing on a two lane road : steady state 60 mph in third gear , then nailed the throttle and timed to 90 mph. M5 and E55 were 4.4secs, RS6 4.6 secs.
My Turbo did it in 4.2 secs stock, now 3.6 secs after Upsolute ECU reflash.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
It was definitely great to be driving in such good company. The winters here are long and cold, and the fact that we were able to put together a mini-mini-meet was refreshing. Heck, I barely got my car out of the driveway, and actually couldn't get it back in... ended up driving to my other home to park it.

Aside from the usual deviations and variables (who got the jump, upcoming traffic, etc), all three cars seemed pretty even from 3rd through 4th and partially into 5th. As Lou had mentioned, it very well could be that the GT2 was simply not broken yet, and/or had traction problems. It sure looked fast as hell standing still.

It was cool meeting you and your buddy, Lou, we definitely will be doing this again once Chicago thaws out... Gingerman, Rt. 66, cruises, etc... now, I need to go shovel my f'kn driveway. *sigh*

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
1stephen1.com

Old 02-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Lou, first of all you are incorrect - It was Negative 15 degrees - sure felt like it.

The GT2 in 3rd squiggled its tail everytime at the lower RPM range.

The RS6 pretty much gave it all its got. It is no comparison. These modern day turbos 911's are as mysterious as the supras were, with incredible power down low, and high. It was just fun to see a bunch of Porsches from different visual perspectives. Pretty damn cool looking!

When we all pulled over, the tires were Hard. I remember in my awd turbo, during the summer, I had rocks and pebbles stuck to the tires from how sticky it was.

I am curious to see what boost Stephen is running. That is one fast upsolute.
Upsolute: 1.0 BAR

How much boost were you guys' setups pull'n?

Also, the smaller stock turbos may have benefited from the artic-like air more than (relatively speaking) your larger hairdryers. At a given boost pressure, the higher flowing compressor/turbine wheels of the larger turbos naturally transfer less heat to the compressed air. During very cold conditions, the change in the smaller turbos' "temp delta" could potentially be reduced more than the change in the larger turbos of the Stage IVGT.

Last edited by StephenTi; 02-09-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:55 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by StephenTi
It was definitely great to be driving in such good company. The winters here are long and cold, and the fact that we were able to put together a mini-mini-meet was refreshing. Heck, I barely got my car out of the driveway, and actually couldn't get it back in... ended up driving to my other home to park it.

Aside from the usual deviations and variables (who got the jump, upcoming traffic, etc), all three cars seemed pretty even from 3rd through 4th and partially into 5th. As Lou had mentioned, it very well could be that the GT2 was simply not broken yet, and/or had traction problems. It sure looked fast as hell standing still.

It was cool meeting you and your buddy, Lou, we definitely will be doing this again once Chicago thaws out... Gingerman, Rt. 66, cruises, etc... now, I need to go shovel my f'kn driveway. *sigh*

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
1stephen1.com
Believe it or not, I never looked at my boost. Could have been the smile on my face got in the way Honestly, I had so much fun, I hadn't driven my turbo in a couple weeks. It was so nice driving it again and not in bumper to bumber traffic as I usually am. I can't wait to do it again, so much fun. It was great meeting everyone.

Lou

Old 02-09-2004, 05:29 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by teutonictrio
The E55 is also king of every other straight line performance number.

Motortrend:
1st Place: Audi---0-60 4.3, 1/4 mile 12.63@109
2nd Place: MBE55---0-60 4.2, 1/4 mile 12.39@116

RoadandTrack
1st Place MBE55---0-60 4.2, 1/4 mile 12.4@116.4
2nd Place Audi---0-60 4.6, 1/4 mile 13.1@??
3rd Place BMWM5--0-60 4.8, 1/4 mile 13.3@??

CarandDriver:
1st Place: Audi---0-60 4.4, 0-100 10.7, 1/4mile12.8@108
2nd Place: BMWM5--0-60 4.9, 0-100 ??, 1/4 mile 13.4@108
3rd Place: MBE55---0-60 4.3, 0-100 9.9, 1/4mile 12.5@116

Evo Magazine (europe)
1st Place: BMWM5--0-60 4.9, 0-100 11.5
2nd Place: MBE55--0-60 4.8, 0-100 10.2
3rd Place: Audi---0-60 4.8, 0-100 11.6

-Lou

Old 02-09-2004, 08:18 PM
RastaManMax is infamous around these parts
I'd love to see an E55AMG vs. a stock or chipped 996 911TT. I got 2 vids of it beating up on a modded 03' Cobra that dynoed at 453rwhp, i think the first vid with no mods and the second with BFG Drags. I believe it is rated at the crank at ~476HP and 512TQ or something? Pretty amazing! Anybody got dynos? The new M5 is supposed to be upping the ante with a rumored 550HP V10. I've also heard about a new AMG Benz coming out with something along the lines of 612HP and 737TQ!

LEMAR

Old 02-09-2004, 09:05 PM
LSM
Originally posted by RastaManMax
I'd love to see an E55AMG vs. a stock or chipped 996 911TT. I got 2 vids of it beating up on a modded 03' Cobra that dynoed at 453rwhp, i think the first vid with no mods and the second with BFG Drags. I believe it is rated at the crank at ~476HP and 512TQ or something? Pretty amazing! Anybody got dynos? The new M5 is supposed to be upping the ante with a rumored 550HP V10. I've also heard about a new AMG Benz coming out with something along the lines of 612HP and 737TQ!

LEMAR
The E55 is fast, but no match for the turbo. Like I said in the post, my friend has an E55 and drives like a you know what. Anyway, when he first got the car, he bought used, had 1200 miles on it. We lined up on the highway twice and I beat him pretty convincingly. I'll do it again and let you know, next time we go out.

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upsolute Turbo, Stage 2 Turbo, Stage 4gt GT2, Sportec RS6, MB E55 AMG