996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upsolute Turbo, Stage 2 Turbo, Stage 4gt GT2, Sportec RS6, MB E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:41 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Upsolute Turbo, Stage 2 Turbo, Stage 4gt GT2, Sportec RS6, MB E55 AMG

Last night StephenTI, Shank, and I got together and did some fun blasts. Shank was driving his Stage 4GT Gt2, I had my Stage 2 Turbo, Stephen had his Upsolute Turbo. Shank's friend was driving his sportec RS6 and my buddy came with his E55 AMG. Let me tell you, Shank's GT2 is the best looking Porsche I have seen in a long time. It didn't even look like it was related to my car. It looked like an exotic car among standard cars. Unbelievable. Leaving the city, Stephen and I lined up and went from about 60-140. Shank and I and Shank and Stephen and Stephen and I lined up several more times as well. I would say we had at least 4-5 runs against each other. (Porsche only participation on the way out of the city)

Upsolute Vs Stage 2-- I would say these cars were closely matched. I could not pull on Stephen when I started first. When he took off first, I could not catch up but rather stayed the same distance away from him. EDGE: Upsolute (****, he only paid $500 and we were even) s

As far as the GT2, there really isn't much to say. Awesome car with awesome power. It was hard to really gauge anything as the car is rear wheel drive, not broken in, and has new tires. It was like 20 degrees out and it was obvious Shank was having traction problems. The Porsches were all pretty even, however, I believe the only reason they were is because of the above. Once broken in, with warmer temps, I am sure Shank's car will roast mine.

The E55 and RS6 were happy just watching on the way out of the city, however, on the way back to the city, I asked Shank's friend to line up so we can compare the Sportec RS6(520hp) to my car. We had 3 or 4 runs. Let me preface by saying the RS6 is a fantastic machine, shank's mods look great. We raced from probably 60-125. We lined up, and I pulled pretty far ahead every time. We would line up, each mash our acceleraters, and within a second all I saw were Audi lights in my rear view. I kept pulling farther and farther ahead each time. Within seconds, the RS6 would be 5-6 car lengths behind. To be honest, it really wasn't close and I still have to ask Shank if his friend was giving it all he had. All indications were that he was, however, it wasn't really even close so I wondered. Not trying to flame, but, whoever thinks the RS6 is even close to the speed of the turbo is sadly mistaken. Although, maybe Shank's friend wasn't giving everything the car had.

All in all, I had a really great time. I can't wait until this weather clears a little. Stephen and I were commenting on how all you guys have these meets and arein shorts, and there we were, huge jackets, 15 degrees, I can't wait for spring. Thanks Stephen and Shank for a great night.

Lou

Old 02-09-2004, 09:50 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Lou, first of all you are incorrect - It was Negative 15 degrees - sure felt like it.

The GT2 in 3rd squiggled its tail everytime at the lower RPM range.

The RS6 pretty much gave it all its got. It is no comparison. These modern day turbos 911's are as mysterious as the supras were, with incredible power down low, and high. It was just fun to see a bunch of Porsches from different visual perspectives. Pretty damn cool looking!

When we all pulled over, the tires were Hard. I remember in my awd turbo, during the summer, I had rocks and pebbles stuck to the tires from how sticky it was.

I am curious to see what boost Stephen is running. That is one fast upsolute.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
The RS6 will suffer at high speeds due to automatic, quattro and not so good aerodynamics.
There are benefits and drawbacks with everyting.

From other tuned RS6's I've driven, my best guess is that 100-200 km/h (62-124 mph) would be in the region of 11 seconds
for that car.

Compared with a tuned Porsche Turbo that is SLOW!

Old 02-09-2004, 09:55 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Lou and Shank, how would the e55 stack up against your modded RS6?

Old 02-09-2004, 09:57 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Erik
The RS6 will suffer at high speeds due to automatic, quattro and not so good aerodynamics.
There are benefits and drawbacks with everyting.

From other tuned RS6's I've driven, my best guess is that 100-200 km/h (62-124 mph) would be in the region of 11 seconds
for that car.

Compared with a tuned Porsche Turbo that is SLOW!
I don't know if it is slow, I am just stating what happened. We lined up floored it and I was way ahead right away and kept increasing my distance significantly as speed increased. That is what happened, I really don't know what else to say. I only needed to confirm that he was giving it his all and I got confirmation above from Shank. It is what it is. I am not trying to say it's slow, just on this day, 4 different times with the same result. No flame intended, like I said, the RS6 is an amazing machine.

Lou

Old 02-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts

lol

Old 02-09-2004, 09:59 AM
LSM
Originally posted by ColorChange
Lou and Shank, how would the e55 stack up against your modded RS6?
It is hard to say. My friend drives like a pu_ _ y. He never really engaged anyone. The E55 is scary fast though, I can tell you that. The RS6 seems to be right there, and a modded one should be faster. I think the mags test the E55's straight line performance as slightly better?

Lou

Old 02-09-2004, 10:00 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Lou , it would be very informative for this board if you could switch cars with the Upsoluted one for an hour of mixed driving and compare part throttle response , seat of the pants TQ vs RPM range , reaction time of turbo boost , etc between your Stg 2 and the Upsolute.
So the Upsolute that ran even vs your car had the stock exhaust vs your aftermarket one ?

Old 02-09-2004, 10:01 AM
LSM
Originally posted by mehrabani1

lol
Yea, I agree, but, you try standing outside in freezing weather snapping pics

Old 02-09-2004, 10:02 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally posted by mehrabani1

lol
pretty cool, how did u do that

Old 02-09-2004, 10:03 AM
LSM
Originally posted by MKW
Lou , it would be very informative for this board if you could switch cars with the Upsoluted one for an hour of mixed driving and compare part throttle response , seat of the pants TQ vs RPM range , reaction time of turbo boost , etc between your Stg 2 and the Upsolute.
So the Upsolute that ran even vs your car had the stock exhaust vs your aftermarket one ?
If stephen wil do it, I will switch cars with him, no problem. Stephen car has an aftermarket exhaust as well. As far as your other questions, in my eyes they are pretty even in all the above as we had quite a few runs, with the edge going to the upsolute because it is only $500.00

Lou

Old 02-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Banned
Originally posted by LSM
Yea, I agree, but, you try standing outside in freezing weather snapping pics
Yeah, negative 15 is cold, lol, it would have been awsome to see a group shoot though, as all those cars are awsome!!!

Old 02-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by LSM
I am not trying to say it's slow, just on this day, 4 different times with the same result. No flame intended, like I said, the RS6 is an amazing machine.
No flamed taken at all Just trying to reason why and let you know what times you can expect.

A tuned RS6 is slow compared to a tuned Porsche Turbo, or even stock. But it's pretty damn quick for a family car...
In the rest of the world (outside US that is ) you can get it as a station wagon with enough room for 4-5 people and perform a ~15-16 second time to 124 mph. Not bad, and it would certainly scare any 996 n/a in a straight line!
I had 300 km/h on the odo in the RS6 Avant below not long time ago. Scary!

RS6 vs. 996 TT (sport auto times)
0 - 200 Km/h 18,7 s 14,6 s

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...r1=53%26Car2=4

When you travel at 50 m/s (=112 mph) 2 seconds is an awful long distance...

Above: RS6 with friends

Last edited by Erik; 02-09-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:09 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Erik
No flamed taken at all Just trying to reason why and let you know what times you can expect.

A tuned RS6 is slow compared to a tuned Porsche Turbo, or even stock. But it's pretty damn quick for a family car...
In the rest of the world (outside US that is ) you can get it as a station wagon with enough room for 4-5 people and perform a ~15-16 second time to 124 mph. Not bad, and it would certainly scare any 996 n/a in a straight line!

RS6 vs. 996 TT (sport auto times)
0 - 200 Km/h 18,7 s 14,6 s

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...r1=53%26Car2=4

When you travel at 50 m/s (=112 mph) 2 seconds is an awful long distance...

My bad. Sorry. It is difficult sometimes to read what someone writes and interpret what they are saying. I just wanted to be clear my purpose wasn't to say my is bigger than yours, just to let members know what happened. I agree with all your above assessments. I would be hard pressed to fit 4 or 5 people in my turbo

Old 02-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned
Originally posted by ShankGT2
pretty cool, how did u do that
I found it on another forum, here is a direct link to the GIF file (it always come in handy when you want pics ): http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/cus...s/needpics.gif

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upsolute Turbo, Stage 2 Turbo, Stage 4gt GT2, Sportec RS6, MB E55 AMG