996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Bob,

I will offer my experience. If all you are after is a stage 2 set-up, I had the FVD stage 2 (exhaust, ECU) for almost 4 years with no issues. Just change the exhaust, install the ECU and drive (I did DV's because everyone said to change them out - back then Baily was the DV of choice and based on my 1/4 mile times this year they must still be operating fairly well). Very reliable, solid performance. FVD was conservative on the boost (mine only boosted .9), but the car ran strong.

I have since upgraded to low clearance K16/24's, ported headers, etc. from The Speed Gallery and have another very good performing package (about 10K miles on this set-up). I would recommend SG, as well. No problems. I have not required post sale support from either vendor (other than initial adjustment of the SG billet waste gates, which was simple) and I drive a lot, i.e. 65,000 miles in 4.5 years - mostly all modded. Based on my experience, I would consider the above two suppliers "safe bets" for the packages I have utilized.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM
woolyg is infamous around these partswoolyg is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom kerr
You and you know who should come on down!!
Hmm... I wonder who your talking about...

Old 11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by woolyg
Hmm... I wonder who your talking about...
he knows that we're a couple big pussies when it comes to the track though

Old 11-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by g8rbob
If there is a thread(s) on this subject, Please just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

With all the choices for an ECU Remap for the OEM 996TT (mines a 2002), there have to be some differences in resulting horsepower, torque, reliability, addressability (setting adjustment), price, convenience (ECU in vs shipped) etc,

I've read about as much as I can and am getting ready to start a comparative table - but some "real world" experiences would be of great value. Let me hear from you guys on:
Who did yours? Where?
How satisfied are you? Why?
How much did it cost?
Can you address the settings?
g8rbob-

Please call me when you have a moment. I would like to discuss software by G.I.A.C.

Industry leader in Porsche/Bentley/VW/Audi software.

I will discuss the difference between good and bad programming. I will discuss the shortcuts some programmers take to achieve the desired results.

You can read more about G.I.A.C. here:
www.giacusa.com

You can read more about the company that I work for here:
www.awe-tuning.com

We were the first G.I.A.C dealer ever. I can give you a history lesson on it's founder and how the company started.

I look forward to speaking with you.

I can be reached at 1-888-565-2257.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
depends on what you are looking for. type of driving , drag, course, street? what type of torque power and where do you want it?

Old 11-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
The one shortcoming that most tuners have is that they do not custom tune or better yet fine tune an ecu for a particular customer. they use third party programmers and or companies that refuse to do it. Thus stage xxx is what it is without having the ability to put the car on the dyno and or road with a laptop and fine tune the car...
I have a feeling that some companies would like to do it but are bound by contracts.
just my opinion- not picking on anyone.

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-14-2006, 02:45 PM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
g8rbob-

Please call me when you have a moment. I would like to discuss software by G.I.A.C.

Industry leader in Porsche/Bentley/VW/Audi software.

I will discuss the difference between good and bad programming. I will discuss the shortcuts some programmers take to achieve the desired results.

You can read more about G.I.A.C. here:
www.giacusa.com

You can read more about the company that I work for here:
www.awe-tuning.com

We were the first G.I.A.C dealer ever. I can give you a history lesson on it's founder and how the company started.

I look forward to speaking with you.

I can be reached at 1-888-565-2257.
Thanks Mike, In the middle of a bit of a family issue today - but I will call - eventually.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
The one shortcoming that most tuners have is that they do not custom tune or better yet fine tune an ecu for a particular customer. they use third party programmers and or companies that refuse to do it. Thus stage xxx is what it is without having the ability to put the car on the dyno and or road with a laptop and fine tune the car...
I have a feeling that some companies would like to do it but are bound by contracts.
just my opinion- not picking on anyone.

markski
I have a custom file for just me...actually 4 or 5 . Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 03:56 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KPG
I have a custom file for just me...actually 4 or 5 . Kevin
There are so many definitions of 'custom'. I think you are describing custom-based on set-up, but no real feedback loop. Also, what parameters were really changed for each of the custom files?

Custom can mean that you have a low-boost file vs quarter-mile, high octane program...but is this program really tuned for your particular car? How are the programmers getting the feedback on the impact of the changes?

Also, what parameters or really changing? Are they changing timing, etc. for each custom-tune?

Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
There are so many definitions of 'custom'. I think you are describing custom-based on set-up, but no real feedback loop. Also, what parameters were really changed for each of the custom files?

Custom can mean that you have a low-boost file vs quarter-mile, high octane program...but is this program really tuned for your particular car? How are the programmers getting the feedback on the impact of the changes?

Also, what parameters or really changing? Are they changing timing, etc. for each custom-tune?
File is written for my altitude...roughly sea level. Written to my specific fuel. Peak torque is tapered off at rpms we discussed based on rod protection issues. My file was written for my driving choices..I could care less about HP.. I wanted low to mid range grunt at the cost of peak HP.Lots of low end timing for quick spool. Rain file written with very little tq down low.. all moved to the midrange. File written specifically for my custom wastegate springs and the measurements off the actuator rod. 510AWHP/565AWTQ on a Mustang Dyno.File written for my wife when she tracks the car.1/4 mile file written for me...no one else at UMW has it.The programmer was sent back to be tweaked several times based on indicated boost levels, and some data logging. He offered to write a "winter" file if I was going to drive in temps below 40 to take advantage of the cold air....didnt get that one though.Anything else? Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 11-14-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:43 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KPG
File is written for my altitude...roughly sea level. Written to my specific fuel. Peak torque is tapered off at rpms we discussed based on rod protection issues. My file was written for my driving choices..I could care less about HP.. I wanted low to mid range grunt at the cost of peak HP.Lots of low end timing for quick spool. Rain file written with very little tq down low.. all moved to the midrange. File written specifically for my custom wastegate springs and the measurements off the actuator rod. 510AWHP/565AWTQ on a Mustang Dyno.File written for my wife when she tracks the car.1/4 mile file written for me...no one else at UMW has it.The programmer was sent back to be tweaked several times based on indicated boost levels, and some data logging. He offered to write a "winter" file if I was going to drive in temps below 40 to take advantage of the cold air....didnt get that one though.Anything else? Kevin
This is all great info! Do you happen to have dyno charts for each program so we can clearly see the differences?

What is the cost of each of these custom programs?

I'm curious now, for example, whether programs can be written for each racetrack...and what inputs are required. Also, is the tuning differences and results between each program so dramatic that the custom programs are actually 'worth it'?

Old 11-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
My comment went even further then what KPG meant... but all in all Kevin at UMW is doing something very nice- offering custom maps even though they are not tuned on the car.
My whole point was that most tuners do not take ur car... install the bolt ons.. and take the car on the dyno and or street for calibration...
If I knew what I know now I would save myself $35K.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Custom File means only 1 thing - a file that is tuned specifically for your car. By tuned, I mean Air/Fuel ratios and timing are specifically optomized on your vehicle. This can only be done by reading your data log numbers, making adjustments and then taking more datalogs. After several repititions, you then have a file custom made for your car. Anything else is a generic file that is made to apply to your general hardware configuration.

The only tuner I am aware of that offers true custom tuning is Todd @ Protomotive. Others, like Garrett @ GIAC are capable, but I'm not aware of anyone with a custom file.

As far as who is best, that's a difficult question. Perhaps answering it with a question will cause others with more experience to explain: 1) who has made a "software" adjustment for the 1.3 throttle body shut down? 2) Who can write a file to work with an aftermarket MAF? I'm not sure if this truly indicates who is best, but it sure indacates to me who is a strong candidate.

Last edited by Zippy; 11-14-2006 at 04:56 PM.
KPG
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
This is all great info! Do you happen to have dyno charts for each program so we can clearly see the differences?

What is the cost of each of these custom programs?

I'm curious now, for example, whether programs can be written for each racetrack...and what inputs are required. Also, is the tuning differences and results between each program so dramatic that the custom programs are actually 'worth it'?
The only file I dynoed was the street 1.25+ bar file. I did not have the 1/4 mile file for the dyno and that is a 100 octane only file anyway, I will dyno that before the car gets put away. The other files are reductions of timing and/or boost.As for is it worth it? I guess so since he didnt charge me for any of the files, although I was racked with guilt and sent him payment for his time. I think the results paid off... great power and a stunning TQ curve from relativley small turbos. As for the racetrack... you would have to ask him on that one.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:54 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by Zippy
Custom File means only 1 thing - a file that is tuned specifically for your car. By tuned, I mean Air/Fuel ratios and timing are specifically optomized on your vehicle. This can only be done by reading your data log numbers, making adjustments and then taking more datalogs. After several repititions, you then have a file custom made for your car. Anything else is a generic file that is made to apply to your general hardware configuration.

The only tuner I am aware of that offers true custom tuning is Todd @ Protomotive. Others, like Garrett @ GIAC are capable, but I'm not aware of anyone with a custom file.
Well, I guess you are wrong. Kevin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome