996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KPG
Well, I guess you are wrong. Kevin
Care to explain? I wasn't aware your file was TUNED/CREATED on your car. Sure, you have some customized options applied to a genaric file (as do I), but neither of us have a custom tune.

Last edited by Zippy; 11-14-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
Care to explain?
What would you like me to do with my programming to define "custom". I can call Kevin today and say..I have too much wheel spin below 3K rpm, get rid of it. He would send my programmer back the next day, and the car wouldnt be able to get out of its own way under 3K. My wife doesnt like the mid range punch... fine, send it back and lowered mid range TQ. You know Kevin I am starting to get concerned about my rods...lets lower peak TQ across the board 10% but take 20% out at 5K rpm just for good measure. Kevin, my Durametric is telling me the car is too rich...lean it out a bit.Fine. All I have to do is send my programmer back and he will do it... free. Anything else? Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 05:07 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Care to explain? I wasn't aware your file was TUNED/CREATED on your car. Sure, you have some customized options applied to a genaric file (as do I), but neither of us have a custom tune.
Every file starts with a generic file.... is a custom built house not custom because it has a foundation like every other home?

Old 11-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get me wrong. I am considering blowing out my GT700 kit and switching to Kevin's stage 3 or something from Protomotive if Garrett @ GIAC can't get this MAF thing figured out. I like Kevin.

Out of repect to him, I'm not going any further with this.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM
KPG
Don't get me wrong. I am considering blowing out my GT700 kit and switching to Kevin's stage 3 or something from Protomotive if Garrett @ GIAC can't get this MAF thing figured out. I like Kevin.

Out of repect to him, I'm not going any further with this.
No problem...just a difference of opinion. Take care ,Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 05:21 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I have nothing further to add, your honor...

Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
No problem...just a difference of opinion. Take care ,Kevin
I agree. Symantics.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KPG
What would you like me to do with my programming to define "custom". I can call Kevin today and say..I have too much wheel spin below 3K rpm, get rid of it. He would send my programmer back the next day, and the car wouldnt be able to get out of its own way under 3K. My wife doesnt like the mid range punch... fine, send it back and lowered mid range TQ. You know Kevin I am starting to get concerned about my rods...lets lower peak TQ across the board 10% but take 20% out at 5K rpm just for good measure. Kevin, my Durametric is telling me the car is too rich...lean it out a bit.Fine. All I have to do is send my programmer back and he will do it... free. Anything else? Kevin
Definitely 'custom' to what you are looking for, but not in the strict sense of actually tuning the car on a dyno as the changes are being made.

Now what would be cool is if a tuner can do some remote tuning - i.e. have the car at a dyno, make the changes (perhaps through remote download) based on the results of whatever meters are attached (AFR, boost, TQ, HP, etc.), and then re-dyno. Of course, it would also be great if the fuel type was a known quantity (was pump gas REALLY 93 octane?..). Then again, all that trouble may not be worth the incremental improvements you may gain.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
Definitely 'custom' to what you are looking for, but not in the strict sense of actually tuning the car on a dyno as the changes are being made.

Now what would be cool is if a tuner can do some remote tuning - i.e. have the car at a dyno, make the changes (perhaps through remote download) based on the results of whatever meters are attached (AFR, boost, TQ, HP, etc.), and then re-dyno. Of course, it would also be great if the fuel type was a known quantity (was pump gas REALLY 93 octane?..). Then again, all that trouble may not be worth the incremental improvements you may gain.
The only truly custom file is Markski's. Todd writing a ground up file on a GT3 ECU and writing ABS and PSM in to use on a 996TT is the definition of custom... Not my style though, would you really want 1200HP.. Yes...Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
What do you call a file that is extracted from your ECU, e-mailed to Germany, the values of the file are then deciphered and the ECU is remapped based on the values of the original program. Is this not a "custom" program written based on your particular ECU map values? Aren't most of the other programs just generic maps that over write your original program?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
What do you call a file that is extracted from your ECU, e-mailed to Germany, the values of the file are then deciphered and the ECU is remapped based on the values of the original program. Is this not a "custom" program written based on your particular ECU map values? Aren't most of the other programs just generic maps that over write your original program?
GIAC uses multipliers off the stock code I believe. Most of the Euro tuners use Bosch code. I think . Kevin

Old 11-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Another thumbs up to Speed Gallery.

Depends how crazy you want to get. I chose an X50 and am very happy with the simple flash and bolt on results.

GIAC K24 Flash, Exhaust, EVO Intake, DV, Modified wastegate springs and driveshaft removal. Nothing more or less and I'm pumping 500-520 at the wheels on 91. That's very close to 600 HP and enough to keep the tires fighting for grip. I really don't know if I want any more. It's already too fast for the steet IMO.

For me, and the goal is different for everyone, the car is close enough to stock that it runs well and in case of problems is a (back to stock) flash away from not losing the extended warranty.

Markski: While I agree with you on 99% of topics. I woudl have to say that off the shelf flashes are designed for simple uprades and work admirably at the intended purpose on 99% of cars. Most have enough latidude to safely adjust for quicker spooling turbos and even upgraded turbos (just run K24 flash for modded or hybrid turbos of similar size) while maintaining a good safety margin. When you start to step away from the usual mods, then you may need custom tuning.

KPG: do you have a dyno to share?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 11-16-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
I would like to see KPG dyno sheet too...

Old 11-16-2006, 01:22 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
I would like to see KPG dyno sheet too...
Sure..been posted for quite some time.. Kevin

ARI...Ummm, you posted on my dyno thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=62092

Last edited by KPG; 11-16-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:42 PM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Wow 44 replies and over 1200 views - but I got to say - I was hoping for - More along the lines of:

EVO this . . . GIAC That . . . . REVO the Other . . . . GMPperformance, RUF, AWE, Powerchip, FVD, Sharkwerks, DNA, Imagine, VF, GMG, Powertech, ACR, . . . etc . . . etc. . . . etc.

I am not feeling very much smarter . . . YET?

By the way, I am strictly a daily driver / Frequent agressive track day user. No street Drags. No 1/4 mile runs.

Last edited by g8rbob; 11-16-2006 at 06:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome