996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Check out Cargraphic as well. www.cargraphic.com

RS Tuning (www.rs-tuning.de) & Cargraphic are developmental partners. RS Tuning does all the ECU mapping for them and plays a big part in the development of all their products for Porsche vehicles.

Juergen Alzen Motorsport (www.juergen-alzen-motorsport.de) and many other Porsche race teams run cars that are RS tuned. Alzen Motorsport is a serious competitor in the Nordschleife VLN Endurance Racing series and the infamous 24 Hours of Nurburgring. A race that takes a car and driver to their limit.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=alzen+porsche

Board sponsor RSS (www.roadsportsupply.com) is Cargraphic's US distributor.

Last edited by Phoenix; 04-07-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by g8rbob
Wow 44 replies and over 1200 views - but I got to say - I was hoping for - More along the lines of:

EVO this . . . GIAC That . . . . REVO the Other . . . . GMPperformance, RUF, AWE, Powerchip, FVD, Sharkwerks, DNA, Imagine, VF, GMG, Powertech, ACR, . . . etc . . . etc. . . . etc.

I am not feeling very much smarter . . . YET?

By the way, I am strictly a daily driver / Frequent agressive track day user. No street Drags. No 1/4 mile runs.
Since you're in Florida try hook up with a couple of local 6speeders who have different kits etc... and see what you like? I'd say "sure ship your ECU here etc..." but in all honesty there are good places where you are locally that can take great care of you etc... and you could try stuff out. I'll always be on here for any help/support though

Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Since you're in Florida try hook up with a couple of local 6speeders who have different kits etc... and see what you like? I'd say "sure ship your ECU here etc..." but in all honesty there are good places where you are locally that can take great care of you etc... and you could try stuff out. I'll always be on here for any help/support though
Sharky, youre the man! now thats what the forum community needs.Honesty!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:06 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Wow 44 replies and over 1200 views - but I got to say - I was hoping for - More along the lines of:

EVO this . . . GIAC That . . . . REVO the Other . . . . GMPperformance, RUF, AWE, Powerchip, FVD, Sharkwerks, DNA, Imagine, VF, GMG, Powertech, ACR, . . . etc . . . etc. . . . etc.

By the way, I am strictly a daily driver / Frequent agressive track day user. No street Drags. No 1/4 mile runs.
Well, if roadcourse is what you want... my setup put down 465 crank TQ at 3K rpm and 584 crank TQ at 3.5K rpm...with a peak of 694 crank TQ as run on a Mustang. Very flexible power curve.The TQ curve is very broad and strong at all RPMs with practically no lag. Works well at the track , street and the 1/4 if so inclined.Kevin

Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts

Is anyone's ECU tuning that much different in terms of real world performance?

If boost level, type of turbo, exhaust, intercoolers, intakes, etc. are held constant and only the ECU is changed, how much does each tuner's ECU flash differ from the next person? Is this difference within the statistical variance expected from the normal manufacturing process? While some tuners truly customize based on specific setups, is the real difference the customer service and support provided by each company? Also, are all these companies ECU tuners or dealers? (tuner being defined as a company that has it's own in-house, exclusive programming - not reselling another company's product).

The OP was specific about ECU remapping...not the overall kit.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yellowturbo

If boost level, type of turbo, exhaust, intercoolers, intakes, etc. are held constant and only the ECU is changed, how much does each tuner's ECU flash differ from the next person? Is this difference within the statistical variance expected from the normal manufacturing process? While some tuners truly customize based on specific setups, is the real difference the customer service and support provided by each company? Also, are all these companies ECU tuners or dealers? (tuner being defined as a company that has it's own in-house, exclusive programming - not reselling another company's product).

Tuning alone is just one part of the larger package. Do not buy piecemeal ..buy a kit from a vendor that they have engineered to work as a system. Just my 2 cents. Kevin

Old 11-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Tuning alone is just one part of the larger package. Do not buy piecemeal ..buy a kit from a vendor that they have engineered to work as a system. Just my 2 cents. Kevin
I also agree with this approach. The ECU programming alone is not as significant as the sum total of the parts that become the 'system'. Determine the end goal and the tuning philosophy you subscribe to, along with the customer service (which is sometimes easier if the tuner/dealer is local) and go with that.

Most of the respective tuners' packages are very close to each other, especially at the 600HP or below level. However, since each car is different (even completely bone stock cars are different from the factory due to mfg tolerances), this probably cancels out the differences in the end state.

All this stuff is really 'art' in my opinion because the 'science' portion is so close. Again, I'll maintain that at 600HP or below levels (which have been repeatedly proven as something these cars can do reliably), I think that customer service is what sets each one apart from the other!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:01 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
If boost level, type of turbo, exhaust, intercoolers, intakes, etc. are held constant and only the ECU is changed, how much does each tuner's ECU flash differ from the next person?
This question misses the point as a tuner's ECU programming may or may not be dependent on the hardware. For example, you can get an Upsolute chip, somewhat off the shelf, and it is not dependent on any other modifications. Other tuners need to know every component of your system to tune it appropriately.
Is this difference within the statistical variance expected from the normal manufacturing process?
Why does the variance from the manufaturing process(es) to have to do with the differences between the outputs of the chips? This would be an incorrect statistical test (comparing the means of populations of unequeal variance).

While some tuners truly customize based on specific setups, is the real difference the customer service and support provided by each company? Also, are all these companies ECU tuners or dealers? (tuner being defined as a company that has it's own in-house, exclusive programming - not reselling another company's product).
Not sure exactly what the poster wants, but I imagine it is more than a list of companies that can chip/flash the ECU. Perhaps the biggest difference is whether the ECU programming is a function of the hardware or is it unrelated. I agree that service is definately a differentiating point.

cheers

Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
Sharky, youre the man! now thats what the forum community needs.Honesty!
Heh much appreciated I really think gone are the days when we _have_ to rely on "he said/she said". There are plenty of flavors of modded TT's to chose from with all sorts of set ups, especially in Cali or Florida. My advice is to ALWAYS ride/try/listen to another car before doing anything... That way you know what to expect, have the right expectation levels and KNOW what you're going to get or at least aiming for. Otherwise it's like shooting in the dark. Such and such said that this and that was really fast but not laggy etc... More often than not the he/she said stuff doesn't pan out

Old 11-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
This question misses the point as a tuner's ECU programming may or may not be dependent on the hardware. For example, you can get an Upsolute chip, somewhat off the shelf, and it is not dependent on any other modifications. Other tuners need to know every component of your system to tune it appropriately.
The OP was asking specifically about ECU remapping so I tried to address it. The results of the ECU programming is definitely dependent on hardware. It's just that some packages likely leave more 'allowance' for conditions that may not be specifically defined. A clear example would be the type of fuel - don't some tuners specifically have a program for high octane 'race' fuel? Some are more conservative and can safely be utilized for 91 octane or higher. Also, each tuner has a very subjective definition of what 'safe' is.

Why does the variance from the manufaturing process(es) to have to do with the differences between the outputs of the chips? This would be an incorrect statistical test (comparing the means of populations of unequeal variance).
Strictly speaking, they do not have a relationship. However, if the manufacturing process produces an engine that has a slightly higher compression ratio or has a little bit more volume - then comparing that to another car which came from the factory with less compression may have enough of a variation such that a 600HP kit from UMW is pretty much about the same as a 600HP kit from EVOMS/GIAC. Just like the cars come from the factory different, the kits all come a little different (or the combination results in something a little different) each time...but the differences are small enough not to matter for practical purposes.

Not sure exactly what the poster wants, but I imagine it is more than a list of companies that can chip/flash the ECU. Perhaps the biggest difference is whether the ECU programming is a function of the hardware or is it unrelated. I agree that service is definately a differentiating point.

cheers
The OP was asking who had the best ECU re-map. It all just depends on what 'best' means. Does it mean 'most optimized to a specific car's potential' or does it mean ' most optimized to a specific users needs'? That's just two potential interpretations.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 AM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Sounds like the best advice I have been given is to get out and investigate the local shops and their customers.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Smile

Bob,

You track your car and I can tell you from my experience that K-16's,
with a simple ECU upgrade, DV's, a good free flowing exhuast, suspension
change out, and properly set-up corner balance and alignment, good track
tires and you will have years to learn to maximize that set-up before you need more power. (Unless you are Timo Bernhard, Marc Lieb, or Hurley...)
What I am saying is that my next group of engine mods (I get a "tune-up"
this winter ), will not help my tracking at all because my current K-16's
combined with Programming designed to bring in boost early (read: Torque),
will be comprimised and therefore more difficult to drive out of corners,
and overcome late braking mistakes, etc.)
K-16 based turbos (which would include Kevin's Hybrids) I think would be the best track set-up.

MY $ .02

Old 11-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Completely stock, the turbo has more than enough horsepower and TQ for track driving so let's put this upgrade thing in perspective

Personally, the best track mods on the turbos would be a better suspension and better tires, some weight reduction (dump the power seats) along with increased driver expertise. Any modification to add more HP is probably a little bit more fun, but isn't necessarily a track setup. It's not like the stock turbos have all that much lag right?

The turbo isn't really built to be a track car - that's what the GT2 is for...so just bringing the turbo closer to the GT2 specs moves it closer to being a better track car - but there are inherent differences between the 2 that will never really get bridged.

We're just all insane and attempt to justify our HP and mods somehow...