996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 AM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome

If there is a thread(s) on this subject, Please just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

With all the choices for an ECU Remap for the OEM 996TT (mines a 2002), there have to be some differences in resulting horsepower, torque, reliability, addressability (setting adjustment), price, convenience (ECU in vs shipped) etc,

I've read about as much as I can and am getting ready to start a comparative table - but some "real world" experiences would be of great value. Let me hear from you guys on:
Who did yours? Where?
How satisfied are you? Why?
How much did it cost?
Can you address the settings?

Old 11-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
"Best" is a relative term... I say there are some good packages out there...
different tuners have different philosophies and approach to tuning and HP kits.
Some use smaller turbos and run more boost foe example, meanwhile others run slightly larger turbos but less boost. Efficiency is very important as well.
Proper cooling and air flow should not be forgotten.
My point is: most decent tuners make good 600HP kits.... they all seem to be within the same range as far as 1/4 times and trap speeds... Its when you go beyond that point is where some tuners shine more then others... like I said "different philosophies and approach to tuning and HP kits".
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 11-13-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:21 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by g8rbob
If there is a thread(s) on this subject, Please just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

With all the choices for an ECU Remap for the OEM 996TT (mines a 2002), there have to be some differences in resulting horsepower, torque, reliability, addressability (setting adjustment), price, convenience (ECU in vs shipped) etc,

I've read about as much as I can and am getting ready to start a comparative table - but some "real world" experiences would be of great value. Let me hear from you guys on:
Who did yours? Where?
How satisfied are you? Why?
How much did it cost?
Can you address the settings?
There are too many variables to say least. Remember, the 996tt motor is like a chain. Yet in our case the weak links are restrictions in air and fuel. Every time you make a certain weak link (exhaust, intake, splitter, Y pipe, throttle body, heads, valves etc.) better, you create another weak link. Unless you go through all the parts and match the air/fuel flows, the process is can be never ending.

You can't even say, "who has the best ecu mod", because the tuners change different parts, ie exhaust, etc., along with the ecu mod. The most cost efficient mod would be an ecu mod that obtained the most power with anything but the ecu being changed, but I'm afraid the power gains wouldn't be too very impressive.

I hope this simplistic explantion helps in your understanding of what is really involved. On another note, it may help your pocket book if you first decided how much power you really want and then looked at the costs to obtain that power. Even here there are issues. By this I mean, look at the boost used to obtain power desired. Example take two motors, each one producing 600 hp. The motor that produces the 600 hp at the lower boost is the better motor (more responsive). It tells you the builder has better breathing or less restrictions. It will probably also be the more expensive package because more things had to be done to acomplish this.

Any way have fun, it's the journey not the destination, where all the fun really is.

Last edited by cjv; 11-13-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:13 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv

Example take two motors, each one producing 600 hp. The motor that produces the 600 hp at the lower boost is the better motor (more responsive). It tells you the builder has better breathing or less restrictions. It will probably also be the more expensive package because more things had to be done to acomplish this.
so you're recommending protomotive then?

Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
so you're recommending protomotive then?
Promotive is a good one. This is not to say they are the only one. Stephen at IA would be another. Do you need any more?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:36 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Bob, many of us (most) have already done this drill and you can learn a great deal from prior history. The three guys above combined probably have more knowledge and experience about these cars than anyone in the universe!
But each gives a different response based on their experiences.
Obviously, the bottom line is it really depends on what you want and your own personal goals.
Entry level and as basic as it gets is the Upsolute way. Best "bang for the buck" but the initial bang is it. Any other "bolt ons" would require further levels of tuning.
The next level of tuning to the level of 600hp I think are all in the same ball park. They all cost about the same and all are very experienced and reliable. I think it is hard to go wrong with a "name brand" tuner (ie one on this board)
Above all that you are talking internal changes.........that would be another thread, hope some of this may help.
tom

Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Go with the one that will give you the best support. Even the most well thought out, popular setups have hiccups from time to time.... It's nice to be able to get someone on the phone who can immediately sort your problem out when you need it.

Right Tom? cough, Revo, cough...

Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 PM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Pretty Interesting.

But if you read ALL the responses - NOT ONE reccomendationUnless - you call what seems to be a left hand shot a Revo a direct response.

I'm not sure if I even stated the question correctly.
I am not after 600hp. I was simply looking to attempt to undo what seems to be a factory de-tune of the performance of the package - as it came from the factory. Not looking to change out a bunch of parts - just a re-map.

BUT - IF you are telling me that an ECU remap is not the right FIRST MOD - and that Intake and Exhaust are the better entry point - then so be it. I am listening.

Am I completely off the mark with a question like this?

Thanks for the responses

Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 PM
If you're just looking for a simple remap, then EVO is the way to go. You can't go wrong with giac programming. There's a million people on here running that software and EVO's service is excellent. I think you'd be happier with a combination ECU, exhaust, and intake combo though. Beyond that it gets way more complicated with a ton more options (turbos, fuel pressure regulators, wastegate springs, boost controllers, etc..). If I'm not mistaken, stage 2 is what i'm recommending.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
I think you should get ECU + exhaust + air filter. I chose Protomotive and couldn't be happier! I took it a few steps further and got his turbo upgrade with WG's, plugs, 5 bar FPR, and Greddy boost controller to allow me to adjust the boost output. My car idles and runs like it did stock with the exception of it being ALOT FASTER! In my opinion with just a ECU you won't gain very much. I think it boils down to any performance increase to get the most you need to put air in , air out, and something (ECU) telling it how to do it and when. Just my .02. Hey to answer you questions:
1. Promotive
2. I sent the ECU to him.
3. Very very satisfied.
4 Because now the car has the power I was looking for with complete drivability that I didn't want to lose.
5. Total cost for everything was $5,612.00.
6. Yes, with a boost controller you can turn up or down the boost; up and down the power output.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
The further I get in the shopping process, the more I come to the point that local support plays a bigger role than I previously thought. If you have a name brand tuner locally, see what they recommend and go for it.

At the very least, do the exhaust at the same time. The air box benefits are still pretty hit and miss. The cheapest way to get into an exhaust is buy a modified X-50 system. Thats what I'm running now. Sandoval had one for sale. Otherwise, a used Fabspeed can be had for $1500 or so, then you really start the slippery slope to big $$.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks has worked well for me. Underpromised and overdelivered. Great power for very little outlay. Kevin G

Old 11-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I love U-POD!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I second Kevin at UMW...I did the GIAC and it just was not enough for me and not flexible enough for the changes I wanted to make (although it was fine for "stage 2")

Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
DD, guess ya know about the recent coughing with my car, but I think the cold is over and it is off to Sebring this weekend!!!! you and you know who should come on down!!
I also second the local tuner thing. I would expect some minor initial problems? and being able to drive in and have it checked immediately is mandatory.
Thus my choice of REVO. (My ONLY local choice).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who Does the BEST ECU Remapping - Opinions and Sales Pitches Welcome