996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Connecting rods on 996/GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
well what does everyone think now that Dr jitsu throws in that the car has been "previously wrecked". My feelings are this thing has a guy who cant control his boost or his driving and I dont trust the car. We are still talking about ALOT of someones money.
I would take the best late model car Sean can afford and pass on this car.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tom kerr
well what does everyone think now that Dr jitsu throws in that the car has been "previously wrecked". My feelings are this thing has a guy who cant control his boost or his driving and I dont trust the car. We are still talking about ALOT of someones money.
I would take the best late model car Sean can afford and pass on this car.
I don't know Tom. I am 50/50 on this.

The Doc said his friend said the car had no frame damage. Its his friend so there is trust in between them.

If the repairs on the body were performed to OEM or better standards, I would still think the price of $100K is very good.

But I personally would never buy a damaged car.

Last edited by Phoenix; 11-13-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Are the connecting rods on the 2002 GT2 engine the same as the connecting rods on the 2002 996TT? I ask because I read on the EVO website that the 996TT rods are good for about 750 hp. I assume they mean flywheel, which means about 620 to the rear wheels.
EVO or anyone else are just estimating that 600hp or so to the rear wheels number. I'm sure that it is at least a +/-10% estimate...so anytime the car is modded to higher hp levels, the chances become higher that something will give.

It sounds like you have a lot of concern about this car. If you're worrying about the car and you don't have any money into it yet, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to purchase it. I always believe that if you are getting a bad feeling about the car, that it's probably best to avoid it.

The facts seem to be that the car is seemingly priced well(and I'm not even sure of that statement - any sort of accident in the car will cause it to lose value).

The stock GT2 is also known as "Widowmaker" in some circles. Modified, it's even harder to control/drive. Whichever way you go - make sure you start learning how to drive a car of this nature. It is NOT forgiving, especially at 700HP level...and by the way, it's probably not the best car to LEARN how to drive for the first time.

Have you or your friend checked how much a dealer will take it in trade? At least you can establish a low value point and determine what kind of penalty the accident is going to give the car.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
EVO or anyone else are just estimating that 600hp or so to the rear wheels number. I'm sure that it is at least a +/-10% estimate...so anytime the car is modded to higher hp levels, the chances become higher that something will give.

It sounds like you have a lot of concern about this car. If you're worrying about the car and you don't have any money into it yet, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to purchase it. I always believe that if you are getting a bad feeling about the car, that it's probably best to avoid it.

The facts seem to be that the car is seemingly priced well(and I'm not even sure of that statement - any sort of accident in the car will cause it to lose value).

The stock GT2 is also known as "Widowmaker" in some circles. Modified, it's even harder to control/drive. Whichever way you go - make sure you start learning how to drive a car of this nature. It is NOT forgiving, especially at 700HP level...and by the way, it's probably not the best car to LEARN how to drive for the first time.

Have you or your friend checked how much a dealer will take it in trade? At least you can establish a low value point and determine what kind of penalty the accident is going to give the car.
Excellent post and i agree. Good idea with taking it to a dealer, i would be very curious to know its value after an accident!

Martin

Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
is this car in Houston?

btw, ILLM3, which coolant hoses blew?..did it have to do with new bumper install?

Joe

Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drjoe
is this car in Houston?

btw, ILLM3, which coolant hoses blew?..did it have to do with new bumper install?

Joe
Joe it had nothing to do with the bumper, had the bumper on since the beginning of the summer, no issues. I believe it was from the drastic change in weather when i took it out from a warm garage to 37 degree temps. It was the hose above the transmission i believe if this makes any sense, dont know how exactly to describe where it was, nothing you can get to from underneath or see visually :/

Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Joe it had nothing to do with the bumper, had the bumper on since the beginning of the summer, no issues. I believe it was from the drastic change in weather when i took it out from a warm garage to 37 degree temps. It was the hose above the transmission i believe if this makes any sense, dont know how exactly to describe where it was, nothing you can get to from underneath or see visually :/
Just wanted to know so I can make sure it's ok on my ride. I was having some issues with my radiator leaking and had it fixed under warranty. These kind of issues can spoil a track event.

Last edited by drjoe; 11-14-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
I am somewhat concerned about potential problems with this GT2 that he could have if he buys it, but MUCH more concerned with the comments on here from Stephen and others that they were reading 6speed on their phones! If that is possible, I do NOT want to know about it! Like I don't spend way too much time on here already . . .

Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have a problem, I um....ok. I have it bad.