996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Connecting rods on 996/GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Connecting rods on 996/GT2

Hello again,

First, pardon my ignorance because I am brand new to the Porsche community.

Are the connecting rods on the 2002 GT2 engine the same as the connecting rods on the 2002 996TT? I ask because I read on the EVO website that the 996TT rods are good for about 750 hp. I assume they mean flywheel, which means about 620 to the rear wheels.

I ask because (as mentioned in other threads) I am preparing to purchase a modified GT2 (Garret 700 turbos) that puts a dyno confirmed 600 to the wheels on high boost (500 on low where I will most likely do much of my driving). Nonetheless, I am PARANOID about throwing a rod and blowing an engine (comes from my background in VQ land...the home of pencil thin rods although an otherwise excellent motor).

Again, please excuse my ignorance.....so tell me, is the GT2 motor different internally from the 996TT?

I know that the GT2 motor I am looking to purchase is the stock motor internally, w/ only 2800....I have also heard that the motor is quite bullitproof...have many 500whp plus engines (and I know the pool of modified GT2's is quite small) blown? In the VQ world, a stock motor w/ 500 to the wheels, unless it is re-built by my friends at SGP racing, will eventually bend a rod.

What are the chances of blowing a GT2 w/ 600 to the wheels? I know that the key is the tune. I am definately going to reasearch the tune/tuner for this car.

Thanks in adavnce, the people here are great!

Old 11-13-2006, 08:39 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Hello again,

First, pardon my ignorance because I am brand new to the Porsche community.

Are the connecting rods on the 2002 GT2 engine the same as the connecting rods on the 2002 996TT? I ask because I read on the EVO website that the 996TT rods are good for about 750 hp. I assume they mean flywheel, which means about 620 to the rear wheels.

I ask because (as mentioned in other threads) I am preparing to purchase a modified GT2 (Garret 700 turbos) that puts a dyno confirmed 600 to the wheels on high boost (500 on low where I will most likely do much of my driving). Nonetheless, I am PARANOID about throwing a rod and blowing an engine (comes from my background in VQ land...the home of pencil thin rods although an otherwise excellent motor).

Again, please excuse my ignorance.....so tell me, is the GT2 motor different internally from the 996TT?

I know that the GT2 motor I am looking to purchase is the stock motor internally, w/ only 2800....I have also heard that the motor is quite bullitproof...have many 500whp plus engines (and I know the pool of modified GT2's is quite small) blown? In the VQ world, a stock motor w/ 500 to the wheels, unless it is re-built by my friends at SGP racing, will eventually bend a rod.

What are the chances of blowing a GT2 w/ 600 to the wheels? I know that the key is the tune. I am definately going to reasearch the tune/tuner for this car.

Thanks in adavnce, the people here are great!
The rods are the same.

Power wise the car is on the borderline. I wouldn't raise the redline as with this much power it will cause trouble.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
There are so many factors involved as Chad is pointing out. Where one will fail is not necessarily where the other will. Just depends. Personally past the 700 kit I throw every caution available to owners that you can have issues.

If you drive the car 100 miles a year you probably will not have that issue, but if you use it daily then you could have problems quickly.

The rods are junk and have almost always been the weak link in these motors.

Confirmed, the rods are the same. I have had over 50 of these motors apart and confirm this.

Here is the factory rod compared to what I use.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 11-13-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
There are so many factors involved as Chad is pointing out. Where one will fail is not necessarily where the other will. Just depends. Personally past the 700 kit I throw every caution available to owners that you can have issues.

If you drive the car 100 miles a year you probably will not have that issue, but if you use it daily then you could have problems quickly.

The rods are junk and have almost always been the weak link in these motors.

Confirmed, the rods are the same. I have had over 50 of these motors apart and confirm this.

Here is the factory rod compared to what I use.
Well said Stephen. For those of you who don't know, Stephen (Imagine Auto) has probably had more of these 996tt's apart than anyone in North America.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Chad...Now if I wasn't having so much fun in my 997 I would start tearing that motor apart....

Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Thanks Chad...Now if I wasn't having so much fun in my 997 I would start tearing that motor apart....
Stephen..what is that rod you use? Thanks,kevin

Ken,

That is a Carrillo rod. www.carrilloind.com These are very good rods. I used different rod which is made by Pauter.

Last edited by cjv; 11-13-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
LOL I am trying to answer this from my phone.

I use Carillo and Pauder.I use both since I build motors as far back as the 356 to present.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
LOL I am trying to answer this from my phone.

I use Carillo and Pauder.I use both since I build motors as far back as the 356 to present.
Ha...I just figured out how to use my phone to surf the web and its like crack!. Thanks, you dont have to reply..save your fingers. Kevin

Old 11-13-2006, 02:55 PM
cjv
Ken, here is the Pauter rod I used on KA's motor. It is made of a titanium material for weight savings. They are more likely than not usually made in a 4340 chrome moly material.

Last edited by cjv; 11-13-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:45 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Dr jitsu, if you are "paraniod" why are you taking a chance on a "modded" GT2? Get a stock GT2 they are really quite fast!! Minor mods (ECU, exhaust) and you will have a VERY reliable beast! Just my 2 cents! tom

Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Phoenix, thanks, I didnt notice that thread, thanks for bringing me up to speed. Certainly if that car had documented work at a reputable shop the car is an obvious "steal"
Thanks for the help!!!!! tom

Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
If you dont want it ill buy the damm GT2 for that deal LOL! These cars bring a new meaning to the word bulletproof, especially modified. You would be very very surprised! Goodluck

Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by iLLM3
If you dont want it ill buy the damm GT2 for that deal LOL! These cars bring a new meaning to the word bulletproof, especially modified. You would be very very surprised! Goodluck
Bulletproof? Wasnt yours on a ramp truck last week Kevin

Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Bulletproof? Wasnt yours on a ramp truck last week Kevin
Ive had my modified car for a year with not one issue, tracked it and so on so yes its "bulletproof" , just a freak thing that my coolant hose blew off, ask mark, happened to his turbo twice and his evo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Connecting rods on 996/GT2