996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

don't buy a used car, part 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:46 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
turbo187, thank you for the support.

By tomorrow morning, I hope to at the very least, obtain a detailed description of every work order done on the car and go from there..

Last edited by notquitefob; 11-14-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
Keep in mind that if the car was chipped and the redline moved higher than factory, you will have a lot more Type 2 revs...
think ya mean type 1 over revs??

Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 AM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom kerr
think ya mean type 1 over revs??
I actually meant both!

I think the ECU just records revs past a certain RPM. If the car was chipped with a program that moves the redline up, any time you get to the rpms higher than the stock redline, it tags it as a Type 2. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear your troubles. Have you run a carfax on your car? I think you have a serious case for returning the car, especially if you bought it from a dealer. They won't WANT to take it back, but with enough effort they will.

Here is the website for CA consumer affairs website in case you want to file a complaint: http://www.dca.ca.gov/complainthelp/

Buying a used sports car, especially a supercar, requires a lot of homework and some faith. Generally, people don't buy Turbos unless they are really into speed and you can bet the car was driven. Luckily, these cars (unlike many other brands) are designed to be driven hard on a racetrack. As such, a conscientious driver can not really hurt them on the street without going to jail first. It is however, entirely possible to end up with someone's track toy. Having bought the car from a dealer, you do not have luxury of knowing who owned the car before you, but you do have many rights, especially in CA.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 11-15-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t=61871&page=2

Read some old the posts. Especially the ones by Lexpro. The are fundamentally sound arguments that should stand up in court.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 11-16-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
was that neg rep the only rep you received on this thread or did you receive a positive rep anonymously as well????

i saw you were having a bad day so i repped you positively without saying anything.....however, i've screwed up in the past when i hit the tab button and it switches to neg rep when i hit enter. i hope i didn't do this again though - sorry

Old 11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
I actually meant both!

I think the ECU just records revs past a certain RPM. If the car was chipped with a program that moves the redline up, any time you get to the rpms higher than the stock redline, it tags it as a Type 2. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

your correct

Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 AM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
I think you should take the car back, the constant worry of what may have happened to your prized possession would ruin it for me at least and it is a horrible feeling.

I got screwed over on a purchase of a mustang gt back in 2003 and the car had been t-boned and i didn't know about it due to being naive and young. Suffice to say, i hated that car and was filled with a range of unhappy emotions each time i got in it.

The best thing i did was to sell it, that gave me the emotion the car should have had all along - elation!

Good luck mate!

Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 AM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brian Haske
your correct
Thanks. Considering how many of these cars are chipped, I think it would probably unfairly narrow down your selection if you were looking at Type 1/2 overrevs.

By the way, some track cars are better maintained than some street cars...

Old 11-15-2006, 01:07 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
***UPDATE***

So I just got off the phone with Rietzl Porsche of Massachusetts and this is what I found out.

10/20/2000 @ 759miles Piston-Ring Set Replacement

3/16/2001 @ 3597 Internal Engine Failure of Piston Rings / Cylinder / Pistons, car was towed to the dealership. Engine was replaced with a new unit from Germany under Porsche Warranty as factory defect.

6/26/2001 @ 6525 Coolant hose leak, replaced under warranty.

---car moved from East Coast to San Diego---

10/30/2001 @ 8292 CD Player Electrical
9/19/2002 @ 12338 Fuel Cap Recall Campaign, 15000 mile maintenance

30,000 mile maintenance done prior to trade in. new brakes and new tires replaced as part of CPO certification.

----------------------------

So from what it looks like, this was a factory failure not caused by driver error. My original guess of a money shift into 2nd gear and blowing the engine was wrong since Porsche would never warranty an engine replacement for driver mis-shift.

I'm going to go back to the dealer today to get a read out for over-rev, but from what it seems, other than the engine failure when the car was new, no other major problems with the car. Underbody inspection showed no signs of collision repair.

All this information could've been researched, but really should've been disclosed by the dealer making the sale. Lesson learned. At least with Porsche Warranty, there's no chance that I could've gotten a used/refurbished engine as replacement. Thanks for all the support, I will post the results of the over-rev readings later today.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:39 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
I bet your "new" engine is a remanufactured engine.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:42 PM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Cool

Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
I bet your "new" engine is a remanufactured engine.
At those miles and in that year... I really doubt it. Most likely a truly new engine.

So it all seems fine then. Stop worrying and drive the thing. Be glad you did not have to deal with cleaning all the cosmoline out of the engine .

Best of luck!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:15 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
More often than not, CPO means nothing more than a guy circled a bunch of letters on a piece of paper...and there is nothing about reading overrevs from the ECU printed on that piece of paper.

EDIT: I'd be happy with a new engine in my car.

Not that there's anything wrong with mine...

...that I know about.

Last edited by justdumb; 11-15-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Lizard, no worries eitherway and thanks for the support.

LAbrit, I was thinking the same thing the past few days after realizing that i may have had a blown engine repaired by some independent shop because the previous owner couldn't drive and blew it up. Had Rietzl Porsche not show any records of an engine replacement, my car would now be up for sale on ebay, but in my case, all the records seem to point to a factory defect that was taken cared of by the dealer. I guess I'm just not that much in shock with all the M3 engines blowing back when I owned one.

*** UPDATE ***

I spoke with Porsche NA and they told me that because the Turbo engine is hand built in Germany, porsche techs in the US are not authorized to make any repairs on the engine. All failed engines are directly swapped with a replacement from Germany. The rep also said because of the intricacy of the turbo engine, parts are not reused for fear of having to put the user through another engine replacement. Both my friend who use to work at a porsche dealer, and PCNA, agree that having an engine replaced through Porsche warranty is not as bad as most may think.

Regarding the CPO warranty, a car with an engine replacement is still eligible for CPO, which means I have very little case against the dealer making the sale. The car also did not show any range 2 over-revs, which is inline with what the salesperson said. There were only 2 cases of range 1 over-rev and one of them was caused by me not realizing how fast second glear climbs to redline = )

My only gripe is having to go through all the hassle after only owning the car for a few weeks. I guess I should be thankful that at least Porsche is not denying claim for a blown engine/tranny like they are for other members on this board.

The car is still under the 2 year CPO warranty, you can trust that I will milk it to the last drop. In fact, while the car was in the air doing the driveshaft pull, we noticed some rust coming down from the battery tray, so later this week, i'm getting the entire tray removed, the area sanded and repainted under the Porsche rust/corrosion 10 year protection.

*** Hopefully some closure to pre-sale problems ***

This has not been the ideal experience for owning my first porsche, but all in all, I'm still fairly happy with my correspondences with my dealer's service department, which by the way is Pioneer Centres on Miramar Rd in San Diego, CA. I'd also recommend my service advisor to anyone who's also down here, his name is Shawn Puno.

The tech that brought my attention to the new engine and the rust is Ryan from Mind Over Motorsport down here in San Diego. I also want to thank Tim the shop owner for taking care of my M3's Moton setup and now the Porsche. Finally, thanks to Kat for putting up with my phone calls the past few days.

Thank you all for your inputs, and I hope my experiences help to prevent other members from falling victim in the future.

Last edited by notquitefob; 11-15-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by notquitefob
porsche techs in the US are not authorized to make any repairs on the engine. All failed engines are directly swapped with a replacement from Germany. .
But isn't that a lie? Your records indicate a piston ring set was installed over a year before the ultimate failure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: don't buy a used car, part 2