996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

don't buy a used car, part 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:47 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Lie or not, I'd rather have a new crate motor than a defective motor that was rebuilt by some dudes at a dealership.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Sounds you are ok and that you may have the tranny issue which should be a CPO covered repair.

Hopefully you can put this out of your mind. Personally having a new factory motor would not be a problem for me.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
I think what she meant by failed engine is something more catastrophic like when the car came back on a flatbed 3000 miles after the initial piston ring replacement.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:06 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
good thing everything turned out fine. while i was reading this thread, i never thought there is anything alarming. new model year always have higher drive train failures and manufacturer often replaces the whole assembly if there is any doubt to avoid dissatisfaction and get as much defect data as possible.

you have a 2 yr warranty so there is nothing to worry about. use it to work out all the kinks such as rattle and stuff. enjoy it and stop worrying about it. research is part of the pre sale experience in buying a used car. remember to do this earlier next time.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
djantlive, yup, lesson learned and just so everyone knows, CPO warranty does NOT cover rattles and squeeks. It's mainly for covering catastrophic failures such as engine/tranny/eletrical.

i just returned from the dealer and it looks like the rust will take 3-5 days to get taken cared of. sucks to have to part with the car for so long after only had it for a few weeks. I just hope they don't put me in a corolla again : (

Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by notquitefob
This has not been the ideal experience for owning my first porsche, but all in all, I'm still fairly happy with my correspondences with my dealer's service department, which by the way is Pioneer Centres on Miramar Rd in San Diego, CA. I'd also recommend my service advisor to anyone who's also down here, his name is Shawn Puno.

The tech that brought my attention to the new engine and the rust is Ryan from Mind Over Motorsport down here in San Diego. I also want to thank Tim the shop owner for taking care of my M3's Moton setup and now the Porsche. Finally, thanks to Kat for putting up with my phone calls the past few days.

Thank you all for your inputs, and I hope my experiences help to prevent other members from falling victim in the future.
For what it's worth my '03 TT also had new engine fitted by Pioneers at about 7600 miles for a porus casting they discovered during its 1st annual service (Shawn was the SA). You've probably got the 'made in spain' engine castings with extra ribbings around the bearings. I swear the new engine seemed stronger - might just be wishful thinking though ;-)

They also discovered a type 2 over rev - but I have no idea how that could have happen because I know for sure that I have never selected a wrong gear which could cause that problem.

However they did jerk me around a little with a defective clutch issue which was slipping in 2nd gear under full load (not 5th or 6th as you might expect) - opted to pay for the repair myself and have an uprated clutch installed.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You're good man. Enjoy your new car!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
ECB
ECB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yellowturbo
I actually meant both!

I think the ECU just records revs past a certain RPM. If the car was chipped with a program that moves the redline up, any time you get to the rpms higher than the stock redline, it tags it as a Type 2. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Not sure here but dont some ECU programs reprogram the range I/II limits?

I had a similar prob w/ my car when I first got it. Lots of I/IIs and a rough engine and a flashing CEL when I "caned it".They did a $17k repair (inspected and replaced valvetrain). All they found were scoring around the valve guides. It initially was not covered by CPO - but I complained w/ the dealer and THEY paid for it!! (Thanks Hoehn) as Porsche's tech claimed it was "overuse".

The point was that the car was sold w/ CPO and the sales guys claimed that the car had a clean history. Good thing the dealer did the right thing. The funny part was that the CEL came back after all the work. The master tech decided to replace the ($400) #5 ignition coil...fixed the prob.

However, the engine runs so smooth now, that I'm sure there was a valve issue as well.

Anyway, hope you get your prob cleared! Just be pleasant, patient and firm with the Stealer er Dealer.