996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

don't buy a used car, part 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
don't buy a used car, part 2

So a few weeks ago, I picked up an 01 Turbo w/ about 19k miles. 1 owner, CPO and had new brakes and tires. Paint job looked factory and there were no signs of accident. While I *****ed and whined about some minor issues, in all honesty, the novelty of the turbo easily outweighed the little quirks of the car.

One of my gripes was the shifter. I was thinking that I may be coming up with a 2nd gear pop out issue since i am having a really hard time getting the shifter into the gate even with the clutch fully depressed.

While pulling the driveshaft over the weekend, my friend/porsche tech told me that he noticed that my engine was not covered with the salt protecting layer that they spray under the car before shipping it from Germany. Puzzled, I went to the dealership to find that the car's previous owner was from the East Coast, and only recently moved to southern california prior to trading in the car, which explains why the service records I found earlier contain very few work entries.

To make things worse, the dealer did some digging and pulled a HUGE LIST of repairs done a few months after the original owner took delivery. The list included numerous 'blown hoses', 'engine mechanical', 'towed-in' and other alarming work codes. At this point, I'm about to stab my sales guy in the eye for not disclosing all this information that i'm more than certain he was aware of.

Anyways, I'm going to call the dealership from the east coast to get a better description of what happened that repair day. My guess is he MAY have mis-shifted into 2nd, and blown the engine which would explain my shifting troubles and new engine. I can only blame myself for not doing my homework and assumed that the CPO inspection was much more thorough than I can ever be. Strange thing is that the CPO cannot be passed w/ any mechanical over-revs, so I'm interested to see what I find tomorrorw.

Wish me luck

Last edited by notquitefob; 11-14-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:44 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by notquitefob
Strange thing is that the CPO cannot be passed w/ any mechanical over-revs, so I'm interested to see what I find tomorrorw.

Wish me luck
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the car can be a CPO with overrevs 1 and 2. This site is littered with claims being denied due to previous abuse even though the car still has factory warranty or a CPO. My CPO had overrevs...the 3rd hour it was running! At least you have a new motor if there is no cosmoline on it. Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
Kevin,

can you explain the RPM range of over-rev 1, 2 and 3? Where does the rev limiter kick in with the fuel cutoff?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM
lol... thanks whoever gave me a negative rep. point for my thread, I thought my day could not get any worse.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Kevin,

can you explain the RPM range of over-rev 1, 2 and 3? Where does the rev limiter kick in with the fuel cutoff?
There is only type 1 and 2 as far as I know. Type 1 is when you bump against the rev limiter..around 6800rpms. The ECU will track how many ignitions occurred in that range and display them to the service tool and when the last event occured. Type 2 is a forced overev from a missed downshift or a downshift into the wrong gear. The ECU counts ignitions in this range...these are the ones that can cause trouble with engine and valvetrain issues. At the end of the day..a good relationship with your dealer is the best chance at getting CPO items covered. I have had several issues covered without question so far, but they have not been big ticket items to PCNA. Here is the latest PCNA denial https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=61871 Good Luck, Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 PM
KPG
I'll give you a pos rep....cheer up.Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
wow that's rotten luck indeed!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:01 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
WOW man wtf, i feel your pain Get them to buy the car back ASAP!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 PM
oneflystud is infamous around these parts
what a shame, sorry bud

Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
I dont know if Id be so alarmed to tell you the truth.

There are "operation codes" in which ADP is the computer system the repair order is writen with. These codes are used to create the type of repair, not necessarily what happened. example 'engine mechanical' is very basic for something mechanical/engine, from no start/battery to anything. 'towed-in' could be from lack of maintenance to the battery due to sitting..Its a 2001 with 19k miles, the car obviously isnt driven daily. Or it had a flat tire. 'blown hoses' if the car has been modded, this happens sometimes. Not to take sides, but see what the repair orders actually say, lemme know if I can shed some light for ya.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:07 PM
yellowturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KPG
There is only type 1 and 2 as far as I know. Type 1 is when you bump against the rev limiter..around 6800rpms. The ECU will track how many ignitions occurred in that range and display them to the service tool and when the last event occured. Type 2 is a forced overev from a missed downshift or a downshift into the wrong gear. The ECU counts ignitions in this range...these are the ones that can cause trouble with engine and valvetrain issues. At the end of the day..a good relationship with your dealer is the best chance at getting CPO items covered. I have had several issues covered without question so far, but they have not been big ticket items to PCNA. Here is the latest PCNA denial https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=61871 Good Luck, Kevin
Keep in mind that if the car was chipped and the redline moved higher than factory, you will have a lot more Type 2 revs...

Old 11-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate the kind words and thoughful inputs. I'm going to call the dealer on the East Coast tomorrow morning to get the rundown on that gigantic repair order. Afterwards, I'm going to go back to my dealer and ask for a rev-range read out.

If there are any range2s being reported, I'm going to speak with the sales manager about the balant lies that were fed to me by the salesman who sold me my car. I was planning on doing a PPI to check the rev read out until I was told specifically prior to purchasing that any violation of range2 would make the car uneligible for CPO warranty.

thanks again, I will keep everyone updated on the situation.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate the kind words and thoughful inputs. I'm going to call the dealer on the East Coast tomorrow morning to get the rundown on that gigantic repair order. Afterwards, I'm going to go back to my dealer and ask for a rev-range read out.

If there are any range2s being reported, I'm going to speak with the sales manager about the balant lies that were fed to me by the salesman who sold me my car. I was planning on doing a PPI to check the rev read out until I was told specifically prior to purchasing that any violation of range2 would make the car uneligible for CPO warranty.

thanks again, I will keep everyone updated on the situation.
what dealership on the east coast originally sold the car?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
http://rietzl.porschedealer.com/

ps. brian, thanks for the info, unfortunately, the fact that there are no cosmoline on the engine suggests that either they missed when they sprayed, or my engine didn't ship with the car... so i'm hoping that one of 'engine mechanical' is for the engine, or else I'm going to freak out because someone OTHER than porsche either replaced or repaired my engine if so, chances are it's not a new engine...

Old 11-14-2006, 10:38 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
hope you can get to the bottom of this!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: don't buy a used car, part 2