996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Buying a car out of state?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Buying a car out of state?

If I purchase a turbo from Pittsburgh and get it shipped to where I live in Irvine California , will there be any problems getting the car registered? Are all 2005 996 porsche turbo's regardless of origin state, california certifed to meet california emission laws?

Thanks again guys!

Old 11-19-2006, 10:28 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
no problem as long as the car is stock that will pass smog. having said that, when the car arrives u need to smog it first then go to pay the sales tax at DMV. car will be registered once the tax is paid. u need certain type of title though make sure u have that.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:04 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Lucent. The car also has under 7500 miles, Jeremy sent me this link.. I guess the car is considered "new" ...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf

Old 11-20-2006, 01:08 AM
BYO FUN is infamous around these parts
I just bought mine from Birmingham, AL a month ago and had it shipped to SoCal. Smog was no problem, as apparently all 04 TT are 50 state emission compliant. My car passed as super clean. Since your vehicle would be a new car to the state, it has to get 'inspected.' This is nothing more than a walk around, making sure that it's got four tires and a steering wheel. The Auto Club said they could do the inspection and registration, until I told them I had bought it from a dealer - then I had to physically go to the DMV. You've got 20 days from when you take possession of the car to get it registered. There was a nifty fee calculator on the DMV website that tells you how much the fees/taxes will be. Hope that helps.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 AM
acf
wow perfect. The car is an 05 tt so im sure it is 50 state compliant as well. It's a private purchase too so maybe I can get it all done at the Auto Club.

Very big help, thanks again BYO and Lucent.
I'll keep you posted on how this works out.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Ohuh done deal?? just register it on my name

Old 11-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I did the same thing. FL car to So Cal...

As if there aren't enough running around here.

Originally Posted by BYO FUN
I just bought mine from Birmingham, AL a month ago and had it shipped to SoCal. Smog was no problem, as apparently all 04 TT are 50 state emission compliant. My car passed as super clean. Since your vehicle would be a new car to the state, it has to get 'inspected.' This is nothing more than a walk around, making sure that it's got four tires and a steering wheel. The Auto Club said they could do the inspection and registration, until I told them I had bought it from a dealer - then I had to physically go to the DMV. You've got 20 days from when you take possession of the car to get it registered. There was a nifty fee calculator on the DMV website that tells you how much the fees/taxes will be. Hope that helps.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:35 PM
acf
let's do this! lol

Old 11-21-2006, 11:53 PM
acf
Hello again everyone, we've agreed on a price and im ready to go. I can't believe this is finally happening this week! I was wondering if maybe you guys could share your insight regarding the best way to do the swap of money for title and car. The seller seems trustworthy and I dont think there will be any problems, but he's 2300 miles away and it feels kind of weird to just send him a nice big check! You think if we just write up a little contract, both sign it and get it all going that should be enough?

Old 11-22-2006, 01:50 AM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
When I purchased a car out of state, I flew out to meet the seller and paid thim then, took car of the pink slip stuff, then drove it back (wanted to drive it across the country). If you're at all concerned with sending the guy a cashier's check or wiring him money, maybe fly out to take care of the paperwork, then fly back?

Congrats!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:39 AM
ronny ghazal is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Hello again everyone, we've agreed on a price and im ready to go. I can't believe this is finally happening this week! I was wondering if maybe you guys could share your insight regarding the best way to do the swap of money for title and car. The seller seems trustworthy and I dont think there will be any problems, but he's 2300 miles away and it feels kind of weird to just send him a nice big check! You think if we just write up a little contract, both sign it and get it all going that should be enough?

This is a big problem. I am sure that the seller is a great guy, but can you trust someone you don't know with 100K plus. What if he never sends the car, how will you get your money back ???????????

I had the same problem a few months ago on an 05 TurboS as well. The car was leased, so I just sent the check to the leasing co, he sent in the rest of the money and I took the car after we had it SMOGed at the dealer who also did a PPI.

That was an easy transaction, as he didn't own the car, the leasing co did, and I did not give him any money I sent it to the Lien holder. I suppose if the check had bounced, I would have had a free ride for a couple of weeks. I didn't have anything to worry about, as I had nothing at risk. The bank isn't going to steal my money.

I would not send a check to the guy without getting the car and the pink slip signed right there on the spot.

RG

Old 11-22-2006, 02:48 AM
acf
hmm.. yeah that's what im worried about. The seller is going to take the Turbo S to the local porsche dealership in Pittsburgh for a PPI in the next couple days just to confirm the clean bill of health. Hopefully I can figure out a solution by then...

Old 11-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Westwood is infamous around these parts
My suggestion would be to ask the dealer to "handle the closing" on the transaction. I did that when I bought my cer from a guy in Boston a year ago. It was worth paying the fee since they made sure the lienholder was paid, and they also had to deal with a mistaken mileage on the title and were able to get it corrected.

Piece of mind....Priceless!

Roger

Old 11-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Or fly out and arrange the shipping yourself. For a $100K plus car, is another $1k for plane tickets and a hotel really that much of an expense? Plus, you'll get to see the car and inspect it before you buy it.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:08 AM
GossettPorsche is infamous around these parts
Yes, I would second that reccomendation, go thru the local dealer, have them do a "pass thru" sale, If the seller originally bought it from that dealer they should not have a problem. one other options is to use an escrow service, which would protect both parties involved.

Oh and Congrats, now we need some pics!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of state?