996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock and GIAC Redline Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM
No SubstiTTute is infamous around these parts
Check out this thread

Originally Posted by dreamtripper
That's interesting ... so some folks purposely lower the redline as well??

If say when accerating hard in first, you bump the limiter, is there ANY chance of a type 2 happening? i.e. can the force of accelerating up through the gears carry it through the 6750 limit (say to 6751), even though the rev-limiter cuts in. Not sure if this even makes sense, but was thinking about it and figured I'd ask ...
Check out this thread
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...highlight=type

Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by john rice
My research indicates that your red line remains stock unless you request it be raised when you get a ECU upgrade.

The Factory limiter/redline is 6750-period. First I have heard of a lower cut in with 1st gear. My GT2 definitely goes to the Factory 6750 in 1st.

The ECU records ANYTIME you touch 6750 rpm as a Type 1 and ANYTHING over 6750 rpm as a Type 2. 6751 rpm will give you the same Type 2 hit as 7500 rpm. [we are talking the 996 series ecu here].

As quickly as these spool in 1st a 6k cut off would save you from a lot of Type 1 & 2s and I imagine the real world performance would only be minimally affected.... hummm...
JR
John, I don't think the ECU records an over rev as long as the clutch disengagement (rev limiter) does not occur. So if your rev limiter is now 7k and it was 6750 stock, it would not record the over rev until the rev limiter disengaged the clutch for that split second at 7001. So if you ran it to 6900, no recorded over rev because the limiter did not kick in. This is just a hypothetical though.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
back to Type 1 and 2s

Guys,

I WISH it weren't true. [Again, I am talking 996 ECUs not 997].

I read all this stuff in the Factory Service Manual. It required a LOT of digging but there is a considerable info that is good to know.

The ECU is a very simple thing in terms of Type 1 and Type 2s. It simply records when your RPM hits 6750 RPM and notes it as a Type 1. ANYTHING at all over that is recorded as a Type 2. It only understands that at least 6751 RPM has been attained and records it with no understanding of how much higher the revs may or may not have been.

My GT2 bangs so hard against the limiter if I am not careful in 1st/2nd that I get a Type 2 without doing anything stupid like a missed shift. The full power traction is such that a wheel spin derived T2 is almost guaranteed in 1st and sometimes 2nd also. Remember I don't have awd to help get the power down so an awd car may not have this problem.

There are a lot of guys here who are tuning these cars and know vastly more than me [I started a thing a while ago relating to the T1/T2 as there was so much misinformation and a lot of the info was verified from these same gents.

I am wondering out loud.. Any tuners present? If you can program the ECU would it be a good idea of put a slightly lower limiter in at least 1st? That might help people who worry about getting hit for T1/2s. I usually hear the term "abuse" mentioned when a car has Type 2s but I also KNOW any car with the redline raised is going to have a ton of Type 2s ...... unless someone special waves his magic wand over that ECU....

JR