996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock and GIAC Redline Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Stock and GIAC Redline Question

It seems my car (and every other TT I've driven) hits the rev limiter at 6K RPM in first gear.

1. Does anyone know where the factory redline is set in a 2002 K24 car (probably the same in K16 cars)? Is this redline different based on which gear is selected?

2. I have a GIAC K24 flash performed by Lucent. Is the redline any different than stock? If so what is the setting in different gears?

Finally, does GIAC allow for custom redline programming?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
In my '02 GT2, the rev limiter doesn't kick in until almost 7K RPM, even in 1st gear. I'm thinking the limiter is set pretty close to 6700-6800 on the K24 cars (at least on the GT2).

My 993TT had a GIAC flash and the rev limiter was raised approximately 500 RPM beyond stock.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:50 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bodybag
In my '02 GT2, the rev limiter doesn't kick in until almost 7K RPM, even in 1st gear. I'm thinking the limiter is set pretty close to 6700-6800 on the K24 cars (at least on the GT2).

My 993TT had a GIAC flash and the rev limiter was raised approximately 500 RPM beyond stock.
On my 03 GT2 with GIAC it is 7k in all gears. Prior to GIAC it was 6500

Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 PM
J.Moss is infamous around these parts
Hi Ari,

The redline is 7k. Your engine speed may be slightly ahead of the tach in first gear.

If you want we can check it with the scan tool and log some first gear runs and see what the ecu samples.

Send me a pm or email and we can set up a time.

Take care.

Jeff Moss

Old 11-23-2006, 01:04 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by grussell
On my 03 GT2 with GIAC it is 7k in all gears. Prior to GIAC it was 6500
Same with my car, except i have FVD's tuning!

Old 11-23-2006, 09:27 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I thought stock REDLINE == 6750 rpm

can someone tell me different ??

MK

Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 PM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
GIAC Flash and K16s

Just curious, is the redline raised from stock in the standard GIAC flash for K16 cars?

If so, by how much? If it's raised, it seems like it could potentially record 1000s of incorrect type 2s on a "spirited drive" eveytime the stock redline is exceeded.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
for the minimal performance gains in uping the redline I personally would avoid it. Each 500rpm more on the engine really takes its toll on the engine overall.
Look how often the Cup engines need rebuilds.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Agreed, but does a regular GIAC flash on a K16 car raise the redline by default or is raising the redline something that is custom tuned?

Originally Posted by tom kerr
for the minimal performance gains in uping the redline I personally would avoid it. Each 500rpm more on the engine really takes its toll on the engine overall.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
Just curious, is the redline raised from stock in the standard GIAC flash for K16 cars?

If so, by how much? If it's raised, it seems like it could potentially record 1000s of incorrect type 2s on a "spirited drive" eveytime the stock redline is exceeded.
I don't think that the type 2's are recorded unless the engine hits the actual limiter and disengages the clutch for that split second.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
With GIAC my understanding is the red line is not raised unless you ask for it.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
I thought so also (that the limiter is not raised with the GIAC flash), but I also read somewhere that the flash raises the redline 500 RPM by default. Wasn't sure which was accurate ...

Originally Posted by MBailey
With GIAC my understanding is the red line is not raised unless you ask for it.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
On the track i only run to 6k because of the extreme wear up near redline repeatedly, what about you?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
My research indicates that your red line remains stock unless you request it be raised when you get a ECU upgrade.

The Factory limiter/redline is 6750-period. First I have heard of a lower cut in with 1st gear. My GT2 definitely goes to the Factory 6750 in 1st.

The ECU records ANYTIME you touch 6750 rpm as a Type 1 and ANYTHING over 6750 rpm as a Type 2. 6751 rpm will give you the same Type 2 hit as 7500 rpm. [we are talking the 996 series ecu here].

As quickly as these spool in 1st a 6k cut off would save you from a lot of Type 1 & 2s and I imagine the real world performance would only be minimally affected.... hummm...
JR

Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
That's interesting ... so some folks purposely lower the redline as well??

If say when accerating hard in first, you bump the limiter, is there ANY chance of a type 2 happening? i.e. can the force of accelerating up through the gears carry it through the 6750 limit (say to 6751), even though the rev-limiter cuts in. Not sure if this even makes sense, but was thinking about it and figured I'd ask ...

Originally Posted by john rice
My research indicates that your red line remains stock unless you request it be raised when you get a ECU upgrade.

The Factory limiter/redline is 6750-period. First I have heard of a lower cut in with 1st gear. My GT2 definitely goes to the Factory 6750 in 1st.

The ECU records ANYTIME you touch 6750 rpm as a Type 1 and ANYTHING over 6750 rpm as a Type 2. 6751 rpm will give you the same Type 2 hit as 7500 rpm. [we are talking the 996 series ecu here].

As quickly as these spool in 1st a 6k cut off would save you from a lot of Type 1 & 2s and I imagine the real world performance would only be minimally affected.... hummm...
JR

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock and GIAC Redline Question