996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interesting post on the M3 board...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:45 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
Interesting post on the M3 board...

Someone posted a seemingly innocent question asking if a 996 Turbo is "twice the car" of an E46 M3, since it is about twice as expensive. I don't know if the guy was trying to start something or what, but the M3 owners sure say some crazy stuff trying to defend their "mighty M3". Thought it was interesting reading...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...4650568-1.html

Old 02-15-2004, 12:51 AM
LexdiamonNYC is infamous around these parts
i'm an M3 owner and i respect and admire all P-cars, you'll notice that only the uneducated would make such a comparison. It's apples and pears man!!........

Old 02-15-2004, 12:53 AM
LOL, apples and pears? Obviously the M3 has full size back seats, but performance wise I'm not sure they are "apples and pears", or are they? I've actually never driven an E46 M3. But they both weight about the same, and supposedly those M3s handle pretty darn well. Granted the 996 Turbo has more power that's for sure ...

Old 02-15-2004, 01:39 AM
apples.....4 seater/ front engine/ rear drive
pears......2(maybe you can fit a midget in the backseat of a 996)/ rear engine/awd
M3's handle very well, imo, the reason you'll see more M3's out there is because they're easier to drive fast, especially the E46's with their "save your ***" technology......the car is perfectly balanced and predictable, hence it's a good choice for a novice.

I've only driven one 996(not a turbo) at a track and the difference was like night and day, i didn't feel entirely comfortable, and the extra weight in the rear was very noticeable........needless to say i was faster in my M3. eventually i will jump into a 996 but not a turbo, most likely a GT3(as i favor the rear engine/rear drive layout) and turn it into my little "track ****"........

i'll go ahead and say that the 996 turbo is a better car all around (at the track), but requires a more skilled driver.......
for everyday use i'd rather have the M3......

Old 02-15-2004, 02:15 AM
Interesting. I'm curious why you'd rather have an M3 for every day use over a 996 turbo ... just because of the back seats?

Old 02-15-2004, 02:28 AM
not just the back seat, but......
first it's cheaper/ cheaper to maintain and parts would be cheaper(not that that matter cuz it'd most likely be covered but the factory warranty)/ a full size trunk, less aggressive suspension set up, so it would be easier around town/ has SMG as an option, which would be a dream in traffic! and has it's shinning moments at the track in sport mode/ .........mmm, that most of the reasons........more than anything for the convenience factor.
i know lots of people who use their Turbo's as daily drivers, but just ask some of the people who live in big cities the kind of beatings they take on poorly maintained roads. Or those who have highly modded Turbo's who feel every little bump on the road.......yes it's fun to drive a high performance car, but somedays a nice comfortable ride is a good thing!

Old 02-15-2004, 02:45 AM
I hear you. My daily driver is a 740iL. =)

Old 02-15-2004, 04:28 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Comparing an M3 to a Turbo isn't right anyway you slice it other than they are both nice cars. The same comparison could easily be done by saying is an M3 twice the car an Evo or Sti is. Drive what you like and can afford and try to be happy with it and not worry about the other guy.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:33 AM
jasonc32amg is infamous around these parts
I don't think there's any comparison. A more reasonable comparison would be a 996 versus m3...or better yet a CSL versus a gt3... Can you even get a CSL here?

Old 02-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Mark M is infamous around these parts
jason,
Technically no, you can't get a CSL here in the US. They can probably be imported for track use only. (not registered for street use)

Old 02-15-2004, 08:09 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"I've only driven one 996(not a turbo) at a track and the difference was like night and day, i didn't feel entirely comfortable, and the extra weight in the rear was very noticeable........needless to say i was faster in my M3"

first of all, yes until you learn how to drive worth a crap, the M3 is an easier car to drive fast (than the C2 w/out PSM that is, any moron can drive the AWD TT fast) though the rear weight bias will outbrake the 50/50 car even when the most noviced driver is at the controls. second, the turbo is AWD and unless the 996 you drove was AWD, they are completely different. third, there isn't ANYTHING an M3 can do better than a turbo besides maybe haul groceries. but yes, the M3 is much more fun to drive sideways.

we also have an E46 M3 to go with a C2 996 (which CREAMS the M3 in handling).

Last edited by ben, lj; 02-15-2004 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:29 AM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
I love the E46 M3 with SMG, handles great, and the transmission is great - only thing I'd change is add another 150 hp. I'd love to have one for commuting around southern california in traffic, but I'd almost feel silly driving it as the general perception is that 3-series BMW's are for people in their 20's (even $50,000+ M3's)

Old 02-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Did you see what Evan did to his car, it looks amazing!!

http://www.kozmanautos.com/02996turbo.htm

Last edited by Chordate; 02-15-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
This guys is full of little gems. I'm sensing extreme denial or extreme ignorance. I'm not sure which.
Ben addressed one of his funnier quotes above. I'll add to that, that not in one place can you find the same driver driving and M3 faster by any credible journal or group. That is just insane. And that's just the NA 996. The Turbo is just plain silly to compare.
(I'm talking road course) 0-60 it's a virtual tie. BUT NOT W/ THE TT.

Originally posted by LexdiamonNYC
not just the back seat, but......
yes it's fun to drive a high performance car, but somedays a nice comfortable ride is a good thing!

No kidding. That's why everyone on this board that I know of has other vehicles... Cayennes, LX470's, Hummers, Benzes, BMW (non-M3, but M5 or something similar).

M3's handle very well, imo, the reason you'll see more M3's out there is because they're easier to drive fast, especially the E46's with their "save your ***" technology......the car is perfectly balanced and predictable, hence it's a good choice for a novice.
How about they're cheaper... duh. They are not easier to drive fast. BMW's traction control (DSC) SUCKS compared to PSM. My 330i blew when you really wanted to have fun. You definitely needed to turn it off. True save your *** technology is PSM. It's 100x of times better.
Not to mention the TT is AWD... which is so easy to control. You've obviously never driven both. I know you love your M3 and it's great, but don't be blinded by your bias from the obvious.
A true good choice for a novice is something like a 325 or a Miata or even a Boxster.

i'll go ahead and say that the 996 turbo is a better car all around (at the track), but requires a more skilled driver.......
Wow... that's quite hard to admit huh? That the TT is a better car? Whoa... hard to imagine. The last part about the skilled driver is pure idiocy. You are clueless about the track and the cars obviously.

The bias and denial in this thread by you is amazing.

I'll admit immediately that the M3 is a great car. I love them actually, but to even put it in the same comparison to a TT is silly. It's much better compared to a C2.