996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 PM
rad
rad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by steve harris
rad have evo air box no probs at all get the paper filter alex has em (sharkwerks) also have 01europipe loud is great you will love it...
What turbo upgrades have you done? Do you use headers?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
cpu when and where does this "lag" give you the most problem. Then maybe an answer can be tailored more to your specific needs in driving your car.

As for me at the track I have a hard time noticing any lag.

I do have a LWFW and no cats or exhaust, which certainly make may car spool and accelerate faster?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
Okay, I asked a similar header question a few weeks ago. Are we saying that a car with k16/24 turbos with out headers makes as much power respectfully as a k24 car with headers to account for the lag?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
Hmmm... Not sure what you mean. Anyhow car is say at 3200rpm I stab the gas, play with the radio, Call my wife, and cenck my voicemail and bang I have boost It is horribly laggy. If I can keep the RPMs way up around 5k it's not so bad. So no cats, headers and highflow exhaust may help the issue alot or a little?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
Time for some exhaust!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by cpu77
Hmmm... Not sure what you mean. Anyhow car is say at 3200rpm I stab the gas, play with the radio, Call my wife, and cenck my voicemail and bang I have boost It is horribly laggy. If I can keep the RPMs way up around 5k it's not so bad. So no cats, headers and highflow exhaust may help the issue alot or a little?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:49 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
I think on any K16 based turbo it's a moot point but certainly on the K24 based GT2s and X50s I've seen a good gain on dynos and even just driving. Those suckers are laggy and you do get back a couple of hundred RPMs of lag which is nice. The dynos show no loss in torque down low (if they were longer tube then they would loose) and from the mid-to-top end a decent 20-30hp gain on a stage IV.
sharkster,

It wasn't so many years ago that most of the board was laughing at me saying headers didn't produce power Ported stock headers were the rage.

It took awhile for most to realize that if they didn't have a certain amount of power to start with, they just wouldn't understand. My how perceptions have changed.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 AM
devious996TT is infamous around these parts
Sorry guys, quick question about headers, if I do install the headers, do I need to reprogram the ECU to stage 4?.. Is that neccessary? Thanks!

ryan

Old 12-02-2006, 04:44 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
sharkster,

It wasn't so many years ago that most of the board was laughing at me saying headers didn't produce power Ported stock headers were the rage.

It took awhile for most to realize that if they didn't have a certain amount of power to start with, they just wouldn't understand. My how perceptions have changed.
Chad I'm the first to admit that I wasn't a believer of them either- at least on the 996TTs. I hadn't really gone into the "medium or large" sized turbos (at least for the 996TT) at that point. I've seen, felt, dynod etc... the difference and there are some very nice specimens out there that do work. You helped change a lot of our perceptions Even at the K24 level there is a significant gain in power and reduction in lag. I just recently did some dabbling on the 997TT which in my mind has nifty technology for the VTG but in stock form with the large hot side still induces lag- especially when I realized that Porsche had SLAPPED on the same darned 996TT headers lol! Swapped those out and viola quicker spool

Old 12-02-2006, 04:44 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by devious996TT
Sorry guys, quick question about headers, if I do install the headers, do I need to reprogram the ECU to stage 4?.. Is that neccessary? Thanks!

ryan
Ryan no you have the stage IV software. You are good

Old 12-02-2006, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by Indykid
Okay, I asked a similar header question a few weeks ago. Are we saying that a car with k16/24 turbos with out headers makes as much power respectfully as a k24 car with headers to account for the lag?
No the curves will be different. A K16/24 will have more grunt down low and a K24 more power up top. I think the K24s benefit more from better header design than do the K16/24s but even they can make good use from superior flow...

Old 12-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Ryan no you have the stage IV software. You are good
thanks for the reply sharky.. i'm still a newb at this.. so i don't need to reflash my ecu to stage 4?.. technically i've only flashed my ecu once.. which was stage 1.. but it doesn't need any reflashing when i installed the exhaust sytem... but i was looking at the EVOMS site before, it indicated that i will need to reflash once i install headers.. i think the cost of reflashing to stage 4 was approximately $500US.. but if you say i don't need it, that would be perfect!.. means less cost!. yay!

ryan

Old 12-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by devious996TT
thanks for the reply sharky.. i'm still a newb at this.. so i don't need to reflash my ecu to stage 4?.. technically i've only flashed my ecu once.. which was stage 1.. but it doesn't need any reflashing when i installed the exhaust sytem... but i was looking at the EVOMS site before, it indicated that i will need to reflash once i install headers.. i think the cost of reflashing to stage 4 was approximately $500US.. but if you say i don't need it, that would be perfect!.. means less cost!. yay!

ryan
Hey Ryan no worries at all actually I think I missed something... So if you have K16s now and the K16 software but are considering going to the 600 with K24 turbost from there then yes you would need to upgrade from the K16 to K24 software. If you have K24 turbos and are adding the exhaust and headers no you don't need to reflash

Old 12-03-2006, 02:07 AM
oh if that's the case, that is good news since my car came with the x50 package running the k24s when i flashed it... again thanks for the reply sharky and this is indeed amazing news!.. I guess the $500 will be spent towards other upgrades now!.. yay!

ryan

Old 12-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Hey Ryan, no worries! Nab some headers from any of us guys since the prices are pretty low right now and maybe the modified waste gates and you'll be set. If you have access to 100 octane you might want to get the upgraded file for that too!

Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Billystang is infamous around these parts
i just got a pair of k24s
and thinking when i replace the turbos mine is well replace the headers with a pair i found online.$799 buy it now
Are they good?
Any comments (good or bad)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ZR40_W0QQfviZ1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headers?