996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2WD conversions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't half the fun of 2wd to be able to paint 100 yards of black lines and drift the car - the 2nd half better balance (using a good setup of suspension and swaybars) on track. Do think a diff would be mandatory almost... interested in some place in LA where the installation job can be done at decent cost.

Can someone confirm the weight saving to be only about 75lbs??

Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrWhite
Isn't half the fun of 2wd to be able to paint 100 yards of black lines and drift the car - the 2nd half better balance (using a good setup of suspension and swaybars) on track. Do think a diff would be mandatory almost... interested in some place in LA where the installation job can be done at decent cost.

Can someone confirm the weight saving to be only about 75lbs??
Just did mine. 70lbs for dif, 2 axles, and a driveshaft and all misc nuts and bolts. If you have tools and know how to use them, this is a very easy conversion. Took me 2 hours with a lift (and a friend WITH the lift)because I never did it, and wasn't in a hurry. You need no material to take it apart and only grease to put it back together. I know for a fact it would take about an hour or so to put it all back.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
HUH? 2 hours? How did you get the CV's broken from the stub axles. That's several hours and the worst part about the whole ordeal by itself. At least with a dremel it is.

Serious PITB. The rest of the conversion is cake.

But yeah, I got 71lbs when I tried it.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
HUH? 2 hours? How did you get the CV's broken from the stub axles. That's several hours and the worst part about the whole ordeal by itself. At least with a dremel it is.

Serious PITB. The rest of the conversion is cake.

But yeah, I got 71lbs when I tried it.

We figured out the "trick"...

Old 09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
We figured out the "trick"...
What is that, buy some new stub axles?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
No dremel or "breaking" anything needed. Simple, from what my tech tells me.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
No dremel or "breaking" anything needed. Simple, from what my tech tells me.

From all the hoo ha thats been said about this, I feel I should charge people...oh, what the hell...you just have to spread the little round clip and pull the stub axle off. It helps to take some brake clean and clean ALL the grease out so you can see. Take a small screwdirver and spread the clip just a smidge and take a hammer and lightly pound the stub axle off the axle...it will fall on the floor...done. Should take about 30 seconds...Then move the cage around and remove all the ball bearings one at a time, cleaning them for the re-install at a later date. Clean out the "cave" inside the stub axles so as not to sling grease around and re-install them. Takes a little time, but seemingly WAYYY less than ruining them.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 PM
In the words of Eric Cartman:

Screw you guys! Seriously. Screw you guys.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM

love you too man...

Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future

Sorry man, this gives me a chuckle!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
my last p car was an 86 turbo, modded. had to always remember no matter what don't take your foot of the gas on turns if your to hot , your done... had a friend that ran off the road in a 911 and was left hanging upside down in his seat belts.he was a driver but just this once he let off in the corner... it is so nice not to have that thought don't let off don;t let off . now i can forget it let off and the front end grabs and all is safe .. ok i'm gettin old. i'd keep the awd

Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
If I did a lot of drag racing I would go RWD too. I had a highly modded 86 930 turbo like Steve. Even knowing how to drive it, it could still induce a huge pucker factor. So, for now, I'm leaving mine awd.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Just did this mod yesterday. Have not done any other suspension mods yet and the tires are OEM sized PS2s.

The car is undrivable at WOT in first and second gear. No traction and some wheel hop. The car hooks reasonably in third with only some tire spin at 62-65mph. The most disconcerting part is it kind of floats back and forth on the road looking for traction even in third gear! Once Iam past the torque bulge in third the traction issues cease.

The car is marginally faster perhaps 2-5% depending on where you punch it in terms of gear and rpm.

The car seems to turn in faster but I really have not evaluated handling yet since Iam putting in coilovers next week.

The handling under power is frankly frightening. God help you if its the least bit wet. Iam hoping the combination of lowering and stiffening suspension as well as adding larger R compoud tires will tame this beast enough to use second gear again. If this does not work to my satisfaction I will be looking at going back to AWD.

If you are considering this mod be aware that you will also have to at least buy coilovers (and probably tires if your car has more than about 500-550 whp) before the car is safe at WOT on the street, imo. If you track the car you will need to spend much more including a LSD, Iam told.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:04 PM
I am also a 930 turbo veteran and not a huge fan of the RWD conversion for this car, although the perceived performance gains are noticeable. I am only RWD for the mile and then hoipefully back to AWD for the winter. I am currently hunting for info on the front Diff as far as rebuild or new with core?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Vandit has a spectacular aura aboutVandit has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Red 9
Originally Posted by sharkster
I think unless done properly the car feels pretty unsafe with over 500hp. Basically you need to change the uprights, suspension, braking et al to reflect the geometery and balance imho. Just pulling the driveshaft is fun for burnouts and it might feel fast but it's not exactly safe...
Can you elaborate on doing "properly" . You mention numerous things( besides camels) earlier in thread--- what is total list of "need to do" to change satisfactorily to 2WD?
+1 x 1000. Please elaborate.

What do you guys think causes the Turbo to feel so unstable and traction limited (in a straight line at least) in RWD format when there's plenty of RWD cars out there that are pushing comparable #s running comparable rubber, for example, a C6 Z06?

Is it a personal perception thing, going from the safe feeling of AWD to the lively feeling of RWD, or is the car really that bad? Do you all have experience driving other fast RWD cars that in your experience, comparatively, feel much more planted?

I would think the Porsche's rear engine layout would be a big advantage, in straight line scenarios at least, versus a traditional front engine, rear drive, layout.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2WD conversions....