996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2WD conversions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Just did this mod yesterday. Have not done any other suspension mods yet and the tires are OEM sized PS2s.

The car is undrivable at WOT in first and second gear. No traction and some wheel hop. The car hooks reasonably in third with only some tire spin at 62-65mph. The most disconcerting part is it kind of floats back and forth on the road looking for traction even in third gear! Once Iam past the torque bulge in third the traction issues cease.

The car is marginally faster perhaps 2-5% depending on where you punch it in terms of gear and rpm.

The car seems to turn in faster but I really have not evaluated handling yet since Iam putting in coilovers next week.

The handling under power is frankly frightening. God help you if its the least bit wet. Iam hoping the combination of lowering and stiffening suspension as well as adding larger R compoud tires will tame this beast enough to use second gear again. If this does not work to my satisfaction I will be looking at going back to AWD.

If you are considering this mod be aware that you will also have to at least buy coilovers (and probably tires if your car has more than about 500-550 whp) before the car is safe at WOT on the street, imo. If you track the car you will need to spend much more including a LSD, Iam told.

The only thing that will give you more traction is the R-comps, both lowering and stiffening the car will give you less traction because the car can't squat on the rear wheels under acceleration. Did you get an alignment? You significantly changed the balance and rake of the car, if you didn't, you hurt the alignment some and that may be costing you some traction.

Ultimately the handling is not better at the limit in RWD, the car pushes awefully. LSD is a necessity for tracking in RWD, but again will add more push.

Doing the conversion on a stock suspension is not a good idea.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:43 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Doing the conversion on a stock suspension is not a good idea.
Fully agree.

I just could not get everything scheduled all at once. Since components have to come in the mail and tech time from different shops must be fitted in.

I know several who are running RWD with limited or no supporting mods so I thought I would try to see what that experiance was like.

Iam going to get car aligned and corner balanced once PSS10 is installed next week.

I just hope that I like the way it handles at that point...

Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
ixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to behold
so, should be good to go with rwd and coil overs (assuming proper alignment)?

what kind of gains are we talking about? weight obviously but what about acceleration?

fwiw, my car is at drivers source getting this done as we speak...

Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I regularly alternate 6 months of RWD and 6 months of AWD. Not the full conversion, but just the removed driveshaft. I have at least 1 1/2 years combined RWD experience.

These cars have so much rear grip and hard acceleration just adds more that I can honestly say other than some spin (and some kickout) on the 1-2 shift and bit more spunk, it's not that different. I may change my tune (no pun intended) once I experience my latest mod in cool weather.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Fully agree.

I just could not get everything scheduled all at once. Since components have to come in the mail and tech time from different shops must be fitted in.

I know several who are running RWD with limited or no supporting mods so I thought I would try to see what that experiance was like.

Iam going to get car aligned and corner balanced once PSS10 is installed next week.

I just hope that I like the way it handles at that point...
Mike, I think you will be pleased. I had just assumed that you had already addressed your suspension with all that power you have. I did not like the way mine felt with the stock suspension and only 500hp! Much more comfortable at speed with the PSS10s and H&R swaybars.

I agree. For the 996TT, Big power + RWD + stock suspension = no bueno.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
I did mine last week and so far i dont mind it, I drove it in the rain and in the dry so as for me i would keep it for the warm days, once it gets colder and looks like the weather is changing soon i would put the shaft back in.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
From all the hoo ha thats been said about this, I feel I should charge people...oh, what the hell...you just have to spread the little round clip and pull the stub axle off. It helps to take some brake clean and clean ALL the grease out so you can see. Take a small screwdirver and spread the clip just a smidge and take a hammer and lightly pound the stub axle off the axle...it will fall on the floor...done. Should take about 30 seconds...Then move the cage around and remove all the ball bearings one at a time, cleaning them for the re-install at a later date. Clean out the "cave" inside the stub axles so as not to sling grease around and re-install them. Takes a little time, but seemingly WAYYY less than ruining them.
Awesome hint. The big locking bolt was also easy with a 4 foot breaker bar and a gigantic wrench...

Old 10-02-2009, 04:07 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve harris
my last p car was an 86 turbo, modded. had to always remember no matter what don't take your foot of the gas on turns if your to hot , your done... had a friend that ran off the road in a 911 and was left hanging upside down in his seat belts.he was a driver but just this once he let off in the corner... it is so nice not to have that thought don't let off don;t let off . now i can forget it let off and the front end grabs and all is safe .. ok i'm gettin old. i'd keep the awd
That's because PSM, not 4WD.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Vandit
+1 x 1000. Please elaborate.

What do you guys think causes the Turbo to feel so unstable and traction limited (in a straight line at least) in RWD format when there's plenty of RWD cars out there that are pushing comparable #s running comparable rubber, for example, a C6 Z06?

Is it a personal perception thing, going from the safe feeling of AWD to the lively feeling of RWD, or is the car really that bad? Do you all have experience driving other fast RWD cars that in your experience, comparatively, feel much more planted?

I would think the Porsche's rear engine layout would be a big advantage, in straight line scenarios at least, versus a traditional front engine, rear drive, layout.
+1!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Seriously, RWD is JUST fine. Turn off PSM and you wil have issues if you punch it mid corner. Period. At least you can have PSM assist when you step on the brakes.

If that poses an issue, then GT2s SUCK as well. Not being contra, just being real.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No, that's not real. The GT2 has an LSD, and stiffer suspension, both of which help put the power down, especially under cornering. In a RWD turbo you can easily drive with your inside rear wheel spinning under cornering basically making you 1 wheel drive at the time. And stepping on the brakes while cornering is not a great idea.

You have to understand the dynamics of what's going on to understand the affect of what's happening. If you have a stock suspension Turbo the body will roll significantly under cornering already lifting the inside wheel, while one wheel spins away you have your 400-500-600 hp car using one wheel for traction. I think you can do the math from there.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:57 AM
x50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to behold
lsd

I am installing a lsd and keeping awd if it does not work out, I will go rwd, the car has motons so we will see how it handles. If anybody is running this setup please share. thanks Greg