996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2WD conversions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
2WD conversions....

It seems that many people have done this conversion to the 996tt. I wanted to start a thread looking for pros and cons of those who have done it.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:27 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I think unless done properly the car feels pretty unsafe with over 500hp. Basically you need to change the uprights, suspension, braking et al to reflect the geometery and balance imho. Just pulling the driveshaft is fun for burnouts and it might feel fast but it's not exactly safe...

Last edited by sharkster; 12-02-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:42 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen at Imagine Auto did my conversion
Robert

Old 12-02-2006, 04:11 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
I think unless done properly the car feels pretty unsafe with over 500hp. Basically you need to change the uprights, suspension, braking et al to reflect the geometery and balance imho. Just pulling the driveshaft is fun for burnouts and it might feel fast but it's not exactly safe...
+1.... pulled my driveshaft for a day and did not like it much Kevin

Old 12-02-2006, 04:21 PM
996Carrera is infamous around these parts
Is psm/abs disengaged once removed?

Old 12-02-2006, 04:37 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
When I pulled my drive shaft one day the car felt faster but did not hool up well. I was wondering what other people found. I am curious if you upgraded to 315's if the traction problem would be ok. I also was curious about cornering. I don't like the way the car shifts in mid corner in the 4wd mod.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:08 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
+1.... pulled my driveshaft for a day and did not like it much Kevin
Felt pretty dangersous, right? I wish more people would consider that I fear doing it "that" way for for the customer/person and liability...

Old 12-02-2006, 05:11 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Yea man, i mean my car on ROW suspension and stg 2 before other upgrades felt very unstable before my suspension/swaybars. I cant compare the RWD conversion before and after but properly done and setup with a good suspension there are no issues what so ever.

I never had any traction issues, psm or abs issues nothing. Car's handling instantly felt more crisp and direct, cornering and handling although in your mind, you feel very cautious at first. But with my wheels/ 315's (****ty toyo's) and suspension the car was flat and didnt budge one bit until under full throttle coming out of a turn, even then it was VERY controllable. Its a must and it ran flawless

Last edited by iLLM3; 12-02-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:11 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Felt pretty dangersous, right? I wish more people would consider that I fear doing it "that" way for for the customer/person and liability...
I think you do it right or do not do it at all. The car just felt slippery, and I had in the back of my mind the fact that Please Save Me(PSM)....wouldnt. Kevin

Old 12-02-2006, 05:14 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
I think you do it right or do not do it at all. The car just felt slippery, and I had in the back of my mind the fact that Please Save Me(PSM)....wouldnt. Kevin
That's very weird. In my mind i felt that as well, but once i did some testing in the wet, dry, full out driving it felt the same traction wise as the AWD, PSM worked and kicked in but so much more fun/precise!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:25 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by iLLM3
That's very weird. In my mind i felt that as well, but once i did some testing in the wet, dry, full out driving it felt the same traction wise as the AWD, PSM worked and kicked in but so much more fun/precise!
Are you describing just the driveshaft removed or the whole RWD conversion. Dont get me wrong, the whole burning tire thing was great, but the back just came around way too fast for my comfort level. Kevin

Old 12-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Are you describing just the driveshaft removed or the whole RWD conversion. Dont get me wrong, the whole burning tire thing was great, but the back just came around way too fast for my comfort level. Kevin
Either or, i did testing before i went full out with the conversion, no issues. Again, this was not with stock suspension though, did you try it with stock setup?

Old 12-02-2006, 05:29 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Either or, i did testing before i went full out with the conversion, no issues. Again, this was not with stock suspension though, did you try it with stock setup?
Bone stock....Sharkey wont give Motons away...yet

Old 12-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Work me harder, wine and dine me... bring me 40 camels and more women!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:33 PM
KPG
Work me harder, wine and dine me... bring me 40 camels and more women!
I am confused.... dont you want 40 women and a camel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2WD conversions....