996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Impressions of my new mods.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Impressions of my new mods.

I just got my car back after quite a few mods. I also had my tranny rebuilt to fix my 2nd gear popout. My mods are as follows...
1. Fidanza lightweight flywheel.
2. Spec stage 3+ clutch, disc type, supposedly capable of holding 700 whp.
3. RWD conversion.
4. Stainless brake lines.

Impressions... On start up the car immediately sounded more aggresive. The exhaust actually sounded different but it must be the LWFW allowing the car to rev more quickly and aggresively. Very nice!
I have not noticed any chatter at all but do hear a new drivetrain noise, kind of a whining gear sound. Mostly noticed at 2000 to 3500 rpms, just before the fabspeed drone hits. Anyone know what this is?? It worries me.
The new clutch is very grabby and abrupt. I hope that this will improve with bed in. Very easy to stall the car . Also engaging very hi in the pedal travel.
The rwd is most apparent to me in handling feel. It seems more nimble, like a lighter car. Also the car feels faster, the increase in whp is noticeable but not by a huge amount. Traction is still good as far as Ive tested it but I am pretty nervous now about the car. I need to track it I think to gain confidence. PSM is definately more active now.
The brakes feel good.
Overall Im thrilled to have the car back. Vivid racing did a great job with everything and went above and beyond to answer my thousands of questions and concerns. Thx to Dan and all the others who worked on the car.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I have the same clutch and flywheel set-up and hate it. It takes all the fun out of the car. As soon as I get a chance the RSR set-up is going in. The guys at SPEC are really nice guys and I'm sure this is a great set-up for a race car but it is no good on the street. The rattle while not in gear is also very annoying.

Let me know if it gets more enjoyable for you? It has not gotten better for me

Get the MILTEK exhaust to get rid of the drone. I did and am very very happy.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, the streetability is terrible right now. Spec advises to rebleed it so we will see if that helps. I feel like I need a pit crew to push me from every stop .
Does your clutch also engage very hi up?
I havent got chatter but a strange new noise.

Last edited by rwm514; 12-05-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I stopped using the spec stuff a year ago It was a pretty horrid "fit" in terms of the LWF for our cars. We tried everything and anything to make it work nicely but couldn't The release is so darned high it's weird... Don't worry about the chatter that's normal on LWF's and these cars. Be careful with the RWD.. fun for burnouts

Old 12-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Yeah Ive been getting some wheel spin in 2nd gear when full boost hits. Kinda exciting! RWD is a bit different.
I think Im going to go with something else clutch wise, Im a nervous wreck trying to take off from a stop. God forbid Im with a pretty girl or something and shes like nice car but the guy obviously doesnt know how to drive it!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:00 PM
So the noise is just something I should get used to? What would you suggest sharky for a clutch to go with my flywheel?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Sad to here that vivid put so low cost thing like a spec cluch and fidanza flywheel, they should have gone for a real clutch like a sach one...

Rob go to evo or someone like them and fix you Giac problem and then do something about the cluch, and also ask them to check the strange noise out it could be a wrong assablying of the gearbox

Last edited by SMR; 12-05-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by SMR
Sad to here that vivid put so low cost thing like a spec cluch and fidanza flywheel, they should have gone for a real clutch like a sach one...

Rob go to evo or someone like them and fix you Giac problem and then do something about the cluch, and also ask them to check the strange noise out it could be a wrong assablying of the gearbox
Thx for your input. I think vivid was trying to get me a good setup for as low a price as possible which I appreciated. Im not worried though, they are stand up guys and going to take care of me if this clutch doesnt improve.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rwm514
Thx for your input. I think vivid was trying to get me a good setup for as low a price as possible which I appreciated. Im not worried though, they are stand up guys and going to take care of me if this clutch doesnt improve.
Then i think you should talk to them now, go for a Gt3RS dics and a sach pressure plate and a RS flywheel drives like stock but hold like 700hp

Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
Yeah Ive been getting some wheel spin in 2nd gear when full boost hits. Kinda exciting! RWD is a bit different.
I think Im going to go with something else clutch wise, Im a nervous wreck trying to take off from a stop. God forbid Im with a pretty girl or something and shes like nice car but the guy obviously doesnt know how to drive it!
Hehe we call that the "embarassment with a hot date clutch kit" over here. I know the feeling. Try something else if you can.... Even their dual mass one isn't that great either in terms of the pedal release.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
We use SPEC on tons of car and is not low cost or quality.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 PM
SMR
Originally Posted by vividracing
We use SPEC on tons of car and is not low cost or quality.
That your thought everbody els in the bussnice know spec is not high quilty...And dont come and say that spec are the same quilty as sach now

Old 12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Look up any post about Vivid that I have started, a customer has started...your replies are always negative about anything we do.

I have personally run SPEC clutches in my own cars. If you want to have a whats better competition, I will let you win behind the keys...

Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
SMR
Originally Posted by vividracing
Look up any post about Vivid that I have started, a customer has started...your replies are always negative about anything we do.

I have personally run SPEC clutches in my own cars. If you want to have a whats better competition, I will let you win behind the keys...
Nothing bad about Spec but do not say its the same quilty, you run you busnice your way and do thing diffrent then everybody, if its the right way its up to the customer but i think the vivid way is the wrong way

I also sell and have used spec and its not a high qulity part and i try to steer my customers away from it, but if they want it anyway i sell it

BUt if you think everybody is stupid agaist you maybe you should think about your stuff, all big guys here as told you time and time you are wrong..

Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Congrats on the upgrades, the whining like i said could be your diff from the RWD conversion, highly unlikely though! Hope the clutch get's better, nothing worse than doing a mod that takes the fun out of the car, to the point where you dont want to drive it anymore

Goodluck man!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impressions of my new mods.