996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upsolute or GIAC Flash???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Billystang is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Agree 100%

Originally Posted by maxxr1
I have upsolute on my 996tt, they have a money back program, no lights no problems. The problem here is we are all P car owners and the chip manufactures know we can afford to pay more for the same crap they sell on vw audi, bmw etc... upsolute just does it cheaper,

i have a friend that bought a giac for his jetta for 400 bucks, but im supposed to pay 2gs, NO THX. I drive a p car because im knowledgable enough to not get raped. not saying giac is a bad choice, but please everyone dont bash others products, that members may have on their cars (kiko) its immature, and i'd assume we are all gents here on this forum.

BTW for whoever asked the question, upsolute has been good to me, i agree for major mods its not the ideal choice. but bang for the buck, go upsolute, and buy the exhaust.... for the cost of a giac alone, then ask anyone on here with dollar for dollar mod to hit the track against you. the proof is in the pudding. cheers.

the subject is so old.
I do gree 100% I have upsolute and im verry happy so far
Im upgrading with k24s and I will pay $ 200 more for the upgrade file.
For us who like porshes and dont have the big money works great!!

Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 AM
DEANWYSOCKI is infamous around these parts
!!! i love my giac !!! upsolute threw a mass air sensor light for my 996tt, and they had to solder a chip in, ouch !!

gonna hate to loose that programming for hybrid turbos ;<

Last edited by DEANWYSOCKI; 12-31-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:37 AM
GL996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dgreen78
GL996TT, when did you have your flash done? I heard that the earlier versions had issues but they have since cleared them up?
Around May-2004

Old 12-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Turbo Mike is infamous around these parts
I had my car done by absolute

I am very happy with the results, I had my car done about 4 weeks ago and have not seen any lights or any other issues. The car runs like a bat out of hell, I didn't want to blow 2k on a flash, I don't plan on doing any more engine mods (except a exhaust). I beleve you get what you pay for but in this case there is an exception, unless I was planning to upgrade turbos and do i ton of engine mods I might have gone with GIAC , my understanding is they tune more aggressive, I didn't need that, I feel I have a beautiful car very fast (for what I need) and it dosn't matter how much money you dump into your car there is always someone else that has more Hp more torque faster 1/4 times, where does it end.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
the dyno run only tells part of the story. does the upsolute accomplish these numbers while keeping air fuel ratios, timing, EGT's, etc.. in check? that is just as important as the horsepower gains for your engine's longevity. porsche tuning is so complex. giac puts so much R&D into their software, it improves performance while keeping near stock engine parameters.

i could be wrong, but for what upsolute is charging, i just can't imagine they have put that much effort into the software.

can anyone with a datalogger and upsolute tuning comment on that?

Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Upsolute is a big company in Europe, and can probably amortize it's
R&D costs across the many cars and customers it covers. I have been
running with Upsolute programming and winning races for years with
zero problems.

http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Results...nship/asp.html
http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Results...und06.html#asp
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vi...15967&fr=yvmtf

All that being said, if/when I go deeper into mods I would likely go with
GIAC or Protomotive or Kevin's tuning programs because of the local
support, fancy features and the custom setup I'd want, but Upsolute
plus a Europipe Stage II exhaust is a *seriously good* upgrade.
Joe

Old 12-31-2006, 02:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Joe you don't need to upgrade until you _stop_ winning races;P

Old 12-31-2006, 02:58 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Upsolute is a big company in Europe, and can probably amortize it's
R&D costs across the many cars and customers it covers. I have been
running with Upsolute programming and winning races for years with
zero problems.

http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Results...nship/asp.html
http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Results...und06.html#asp
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vi...15967&fr=yvmtf

All that being said, if/when I go deeper into mods I would likely go with
GIAC or Protomotive or Kevin's tuning programs because of the local
support, fancy features and the custom setup I'd want, but Upsolute
plus a Europipe Stage II exhaust is a *seriously good* upgrade.
Joe
Joe,

They're not that big here but even if they were they would just be doing what all "generic" tuning software companies do, get their way into the ECU's raise X% on a number of maps (boost, timing, fuel) and then find a car for a day or two to test it. They usually make posts on specialized forums looking for the cars and offer the re-flash to the testing mule's owner for handing the car over to them to be trashed on a dyno.

Like others said there's SO MUCH more to it...

I'm OK with others using Upsolute on their Turbo's but I'm not OK with statments like "its as good as GIAC and other Porsche (ONLY) tuners" and BS like "they're ripping people off because its a Porsche" because its just NOT true in most cases.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:16 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Turbo Mike
I am very happy with the results, I had my car done about 4 weeks ago and have not seen any lights or any other issues. The car runs like a bat out of hell, I didn't want to blow 2k on a flash, I don't plan on doing any more engine mods (except a exhaust). I beleve you get what you pay for but in this case there is an exception, unless I was planning to upgrade turbos and do i ton of engine mods I might have gone with GIAC , my understanding is they tune more aggressive, I didn't need that, I feel I have a beautiful car very fast (for what I need) and it dosn't matter how much money you dump into your car there is always someone else that has more Hp more torque faster 1/4 times, where does it end.
Mike, I think its the other way round...Let's see, Upsolute increases power by 90bhp on a stage 1 (without an exhaust) and, if I'm not mistaken, GIAC does 1.0bar peak and 0,9 stable whereas Upsolute does 1.0bar stable WITHOUT an exhaust, this fact just for itself makes me believe the EGT's must be sky high and the reason is that most aftermarket exhausts (which others need to get 90hp) have a reduced backpressure which is great for a turbo tuned car since it evacuates the extra heat thus lowering the EGT's.

Last edited by kiko; 12-31-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Turbo Mike is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kiko
Mike, I think its the other way round...Let's see, Upsolute increases power by 90bhp on a stage 1 (without an exhaust) and, if I'm not mistaken, GIAC does 1.0bar peak and 0,9 stable whereas Upsolute does 1.0bar stable WITHOUT an exhaust, this fact just for itself makes me believe the EGT's must be sky high and the reason is that most aftermarket exhausts (which others need to get 90hp) have a reduced backpressure which is great for a turbo tuned car since it evacuates the extra heat thus lowering the EGT's.
Kiko, this might be sacrilegious, but I don't need anymore power out of my car, right now it is the fastest car I ever owned and it runs great. I don't even know what EGT means but all I know is that I'm happy with the power and performance and looks of my car. I am more of a show guy, don't get me wrong I enjoy going fast but this is not a track car, it's not an everyday driver either, it's my weekend play around with car. I've had Porsche's for over 20yrs, I enjoy driving them looking at them and just being around them. And like I said before there will always be someone faster.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DEANWYSOCKI
!!! i love my giac !!! upsolute threw a mass air sensor light for my 996tt, and they had to solder a chip in, ouch !!

gonna hate to loose that programming for hybrid turbos ;<
My 871 rwhp TT has a solder chip in it... it has nothing to do with lack of performance...
I am not promoting it either... just stating the facts....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-31-2006, 04:52 PM
DEANWYSOCKI is infamous around these parts
of course soldering a new eeprom ic chip has nothing to do with performance. But disassembly and resoldering of an ecu is very intrusive esp when your car is under warranty. A nice plug in flash will be my choice !

Old 12-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DEANWYSOCKI
of course soldering a new eeprom ic chip has nothing to do with performance. But disassembly and resoldering of an ecu is very intrusive esp when your car is under warranty. A nice plug in flash will be my choice !
I see... that's what you meant.... Im out of warranty LOL
Either way most dealers will never look into the ecu... they can only erase ur existing program when they upload new version software..... without even knowing....
Mechanics get Book hours.. they want to make money.. not investigate whether someone has a chipped ecu....
just my opinion,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
What boost are you K24 Upsolute guys seeing?

Either way, you won't get the most out of a K24 car without wastegate mod. It's a physical weakness of the stock springs at over 1 BAR, so programming can never compensate.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:22 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
My 871 rwhp TT has a solder chip in it... it has nothing to do with lack of performance...
I am not promoting it either... just stating the facts....
markski
True but one thing I've learned is that not everyone solders as well as others... Given the controls anything is possible

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upsolute or GIAC Flash???