996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upsolute or GIAC Flash???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sharkster
Joe you don't need to upgrade until you _stop_ winning races;P
You're right of course, but I think that time has come... My main
competition is a couple of guys in a GT2 that has also gone to
Upsolute, and they have the budget to do stuff like carbon clutches
that they replace twice a year etc. Their car is probably 400 lbs or
more lighter than mine, stronger anyway, and they run as wide a
tire on their front as I can run on my rear, so I'm way out of my
league now. My plan this year is to run in a true street tire class
(wear rating > 140)... That's more my style, where I just show up
and race. They do the full-open-exhaust+trailer+motorhome deal.
I'll miss the tremendous stickiness of the Kumho 710s (which I *did*
drive in the street ), but I will have lots more (and more equal)
competition in the new class, so it'll all be good.
Joe

Old 12-31-2006, 08:46 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Upsolute is a big company in Europe, and can probably amortize it's
R&D costs across the many cars and customers it covers. I have been
running with Upsolute programming and winning races for years with
zero problems.

http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Results...nship/asp.html
http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Results...und06.html#asp
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vi...15967&fr=yvmtf

All that being said, if/when I go deeper into mods I would likely go with
GIAC or Protomotive or Kevin's tuning programs because of the local
support, fancy features and the custom setup I'd want, but Upsolute
plus a Europipe Stage II exhaust is a *seriously good* upgrade.
Joe
My god Joe, i remember seeing that a while ago on the Auto-X track, your car is SERIOUS fast, driving too!!!!!!! I cant wait for the Spring/Track seasonnnN!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
You're right of course, but I think that time has come... My main
competition is a couple of guys in a GT2 that has also gone to
Upsolute, and they have the budget to do stuff like carbon clutches
that they replace twice a year etc. Their car is probably 400 lbs or
more lighter than mine, stronger anyway, and they run as wide a
tire on their front as I can run on my rear, so I'm way out of my
league now. My plan this year is to run in a true street tire class
(wear rating > 140)... That's more my style, where I just show up
and race. They do the full-open-exhaust+trailer+motorhome deal.
I'll miss the tremendous stickiness of the Kumho 710s (which I *did*
drive in the street ), but I will have lots more (and more equal)
competition in the new class, so it'll all be good.
Joe
It's a small world so I know who that pair is They've come to me before "fishing"... At least we know who the better driver is. Oops did I say that

Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sharkster
It's a small world so I know who that pair is They've come to me before "fishing"... At least we know who the better driver is. Oops did I say that
You are too kind. There's not much to count on there either. One of
them is a national champion, and the other guy has driven just as
well or better, and has beaten me in equal circumstances... If I
could co-drive their car with them I'd jump at the chance to learn/
compare but that's not a likely invitation .

Old 12-31-2006, 10:15 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
hey i had a uni chip it was great changed to giac for the race gas program it really makes a dif... if you want a uni chip cheap ( 900.00) rob at s cargo had one or two he is in san rafael ca.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I see... that's what you meant.... Im out of warranty LOL...
Mark, I thought you still had a little warranty left!

Old 01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Cool so , the cheapest way is upsolute$500,kn filters$100, zerotek exhaust with headers$1800.. wow what a savings not even enough for stage 2 quiet europipe

Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
After becoming good friends with Todd and Cynthia @ Protomotive I can contest that not all programming is equal... Todd has taught me so much and there is a difference between programmers...
How come some after market ecu's blow MAfs and some do not...I heard alot of horror stories... including from owners that use upsolute.
If one lives in a warm climate I noticed that the Usolute has less tendency to blow maf and throw ABS/PSM.
Why would you want to buy a software for your car and not have the ability to discuss it with the programmer... nor have the means to make changes if need be...
I never had any of the above mentioned programs... but I did have 3 other ones...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 01-01-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:57 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
After becoming good friends with Todd and Cynthia @ Protomotive I can contest that not all programming is equal... Todd has taught me so much and there is a difference between programmers...
How come some after market ecu's blow MAfs and some do not...I heard alot of horror stories... including from owners that use upsolute.
If one lives in a warm climate I noticed that the Usolute has less tendency to blow maf and throw ABS/PSM.
Why would you want to buy a software for your car and not have the ability to discuss it with the programmer... nor have the means to make changes if need be...
I never had any of the above mentioned programs... but I did have 3 other ones...
markski
Markski! I say you quit your day job (actually its a night job) and dedicate your time to your hobby!

Good post! +1 rep for that. Although I have to say you shouldn't have to have to talk with your programmer on a stage 2 let alone do adjustments. A PROPER software done by a TOP Porsche tuner should drive just like factory (no lights, no hesitation, no hot/cold weather issues, no BS) end of story.

P.S. I need to find the original "plastic dreams" by DJ J.D. and have it recorded on a CD followed by a Green Funky Dogs song... can you help?

Old 01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kiko
Markski! I say you quit your day job (actually its a night job) and dedicate your time to your hobby!

Good post! +1 rep for that. Although I have to say you shouldn't have to have to talk with your programmer on a stage 2 let alone do adjustments. A PROPER software done by a TOP Porsche tuner should drive just like factory (no lights, no hesitation, no hot/cold weather issues, no BS) end of story.

P.S. I need to find the original "plastic dreams" by DJ J.D. and have it recorded on a CD followed by a Green Funky Dogs song... can you help?
Thanks Kiko,
I agree with you as well. Stage 2 is entry level.
Ill check if I have that song at my store...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL