996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dyno Day at Porsche Exchange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 06:05 PM
996TTR is infamous around these parts996TTR is infamous around these parts
Nothing horribly exciting happened. Shanks SL600 was on the dyno but the techs could not get a good spark plug reading. LSM's and StephenTi's cars produced about 450 rwhp and 500 ft torque. Shanks GT2 will need some additional tuning but still produced over 500 rwhp. The Lambo, I believe did 250 rwhp and 190 ft torque. Man was it mean sounding. The other guys can give you more specific details.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Did someone say something? My ears are still ringing. But, now for the bad news, all bark ... no bite

The lambo could only pull 277 rwhp and 243 torque. I am now "talking" with my mechanic! They did the pull in fourth so it was pretty neat to see the car hit over 150 mph while strapped down and then see flames come out the exhaust as it wound down.

The upsolute did damn well as did the stage2. The GT2 stage 4GT had some problems that the guys are going to work on.

A fun day and thanks for the pizzas Shank (he bought a pizza per guy).

Last edited by ColorChange; 02-18-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
The day went fairly well.....as far as identifying the issue. Originally, I was wondering why Lou's and my GT2 (stage 2 and stage 4gt respectively) ran very close to an upsolute chipped car of StephenTi's.

The issue lied in the variances of the 2wd GT2, and the programming truely meant for an awd 996TT. The GT2 has different gearing, different attributes when it comes to engine load and its transfer to the wheels. The GT2 ran somewhat rich during midrange, and was very close from 80 to 120mph with the Stage 2 and Upsolute cars. Though my GT2 had significantly more HP and TQ (100 more,) during the midrange levels aforementioned, it seems to experience a dip in in the curve. Basically, The car needs minor fine tuning for midrange, and Imagine and EVO plan on resolving very soon.

Having said that, I am so happy that I chose these companies to tune my car, because the level of support proved yet again, unparalelled. The boost characteristics of the GT2 at stage4GT level was the first they encountered. My car dyno'd 533RWHP and 569RWTQ, which was a bit lower than the original 560 reading, but then again, that was on a different dyno. When we fine tune her, we plan on doing it on a similar Mustang Dyno. To better understand what is happening, I'll post the dyno sheet comparing the three tuned cars.

The upsolute dyno'd 455RWHP and 505RWTQ, and Lou's Stage II dyno'd 448RWHP and 505RWTQ.

The first car up was the SL600, but they could not find a wire to tap into to get a tach reading.....even 1.2 hours later. :P
We then called it quits on that, due to the long day ahead.

The lamborghini countach sounded like a bi plane during take off. We had to step outside, because it was too loud. The race gas fumes ommitted a paint like smell......still have a headache from it.

Its nice to see that Todd, Stephen and Tim (Colorchange) are members of 6speed, but much nicer in the flesh! Nice meeting you guys!

Old 02-18-2004, 08:54 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Gang,
What a day...started off by our plane ready for push off and stopped. We were all asked to get off and go back through security. Apparently there was a security breech. Nice. An hour and a half later then scheduled I arrived. The company was simply outstanding today. Stephen's car is knock dead gorgeous and performed very well. We set out to discover the issue of Ryan's car and will return shortly to tune out a few issues from chassis difference. Tim, you really need a muffler!! My ears are still ringing No matter how old the Lambos get, talk about sexy. Lou and the gang, it was a pleasure and thank you for being so accommodating. It is nice to finally have met Ryan after knowing, but never meeting him for several years. David I also have known, yet not met. Normally I am under his car To top it all off I was able to make it home soon enough to celebrate my youngest sons second birthday. What a day...

Old 02-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Stephan:

Enjoyed meeting you and I was obviously impressed by your and Todd's commitment. Next time thought, stay home for the kids Bday. Seriously, we're not worth it!

My car isn't that loud inside ... really. Now I know why everyone at the track knew if I lifted in the back turns.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:16 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Umm, you don't think it could have been the flame that ticked them off do ya?

Old 02-18-2004, 09:55 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by ShankGT2
The upsolute dyno'd 455RWHP and 505RWTQ, and Lou's Stage II dyno'd 448RWHP and 505RWTQ.
What's the formula to convert these numbers to bhp or hp at the crank?

Old 02-18-2004, 10:12 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
John , I've seen stock Turbos dyno around 360-370 rwhp which implies 12% drivetrain loss IF Porsche's advertised 415 flywheel hp rating is accurate. OTOH, if the stock motor REALLY puts out 425-430 flywheel as I believe , then the drivetrain loss is more like 15% , a typical figure for many high performance sports cars like the Corvette and Viper. Using the latter figure , the Upsolute/Cargraphic car of Stephen Ti ( and yours ) is probably around 455 rwhp divided by .85 = 535 flywheel HP ! Any way you look at it, you are puting down nearly 90-100 hp more to the ground vs stock.
(Of course , we lose about 10 hp stock or modded here in California due to our 91 octane gasoline .)

Last edited by MKW; 02-18-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:13 PM
02TurboX50 is infamous around these parts
I am trying to follow what everyone's numbers were and connect them with the cars and modifications.

Since this post is now over 3 pages long, I am lost.

Can someone give me a quick recap of the cars involved, the mods, the numbers (hp/tq), and the potential problems?

Does this mean there is a potential issue or improvement to be found for all the Level II-IV GIAC programs, or just the ones for the GT2? If it is for all of them, then will everyone with these levels get some sort of upgraded version that offers better midrange?

Need some clarification please.....
Thx.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned
All Boost is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ShankGT2
The day went fairly well.....as far as identifying the issue. Originally, I was wondering why Lou's and my GT2 (stage 2 and stage 4gt respectively) ran very close to an upsolute chipped car of StephenTi's.

The issue lied in the variances of the 2wd GT2, and the programming truely meant for an awd 996TT. The GT2 has different gearing, different attributes when it comes to engine load and its transfer to the wheels. The GT2 ran somewhat rich during midrange, and was very close from 80 to 120mph with the Stage 2 and Upsolute cars. Though my GT2 had significantly more HP and TQ (100 more,) during the midrange levels aforementioned, it seems to experience a dip in in the curve. Basically, The car needs minor fine tuning for midrange, and Imagine and EVO plan on resolving very soon.

Having said that, I am so happy that I chose these companies to tune my car, because the level of support proved yet again, unparalelled. The boost characteristics of the GT2 at stage4GT level was the first they encountered. My car dyno'd 533RWHP and 569RWTQ, which was a bit lower than the original 560 reading, but then again, that was on a different dyno. When we fine tune her, we plan on doing it on a similar Mustang Dyno. To better understand what is happening, I'll post the dyno sheet comparing the three tuned cars.

So if you're putting down 533RWHP, why can't you walk a heavier 455RWHP Upsolute car? When you raced the Upsolute car on the street were you on pump gas (4GT) whereas on the dyno you were running race gas (4GTR)? That's about the only variable I can think of.

BTW, the gasoline fumes and airplane like sound of the Lambo means it was probably running pig rich! This is also probably why his power was down. Same exact thing happened to my 03 Cobra when it was brand new.

Last edited by All Boost; 02-18-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:15 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by All Boost
So if you're putting down 533RWHP, why can't you walk a heavier 455RWHP Upsolute car? When you raced the Upsolute car on the street were you on pump gas (4GT) whereas on the dyno you were running race gas (4GTR)? That's about the only variable I can think of.

BTW, the gasoline fumes and airplane like sound of the Lambo means it was probably running pig rich! This is also probably why his power was down. Same exact thing happened to my 03 Cobra when it was brand new.
Shank's car actually pulled on mine today when we briefly lined up. Funny thing was we started at a much lower speed than we had the other night. The other night we were basically going from 70-130mph every time. Well the dyno showed it all. Shank's car made close to the torque and hp of Stephen and my car between 80-130. There was a dip in power down to our level. Instead of the typical arc associated with a hp graph, Shank's car made much more power at lower and higher speeds but, had that dip which is why we were even. Today when he pulled on me, we started at a lower speed where the dyno later showed he was making much more hp and torque than I was. It is simply a matter of the GT2 reqquiring different programming parameters. Once the programming is adjusted, it won't be close if our lower speed run is any indication

Old 02-18-2004, 11:20 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
It was great meeting Todd and Stephen. They are really great guys and it was a relief to see them there supervising and analyzing everything. That is some kind of service, dropping everything and fly out here to make sure everything is rectified. The dyno test really shed light on our runs and Shank's car. The level of service of Todd and Stephen goes way beyond expectation and it really shows the level of service they are willing to give. These are two stand up guys that love cars and it shows. Anyone looking for tuning should definately shop with these two guys. Thanks again and it was great meeting you both!

Lou

Old 02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally posted by All Boost
All boost,

533RWHP correct, but not at the midrange, where we actually were racing. At mid range, I dipped to the level of the upsolute and stage 2 in torque, and hp. It is amazing to understand what goes on in the dyno, pretty much maps out what goes on in the street. From this, I can see Chad's excitement and accomplishments of mods, though limited seat time. "It's proof on paper"

Again, I am going to scan the dyno in the morning and post it for visuals. BTW, I opted not to go with the "R" in the 4GTR - so I can only run on pump gas. With race gas, I'd be over 700HP, and would be pushing it without getting the rods done.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen & Todd - Great to see you both standing behind your product.

Is the now infamous 'mid-range dip' in power found in Shank's car specific to GT2's with the Stage 4 GT program or is there a Stage 4GT program refinement required for all 996TT's?

Can I get furtherr clarification on Shank's comment...

The issue lied in the variances of the 2wd GT2, and the programming truely meant for an awd 996TT. The GT2 has different gearing, different attributes when it comes to engine load and its transfer to the wheels.
I don't understand what diference gearing would make on a dyno pull in 4th gear.

Is there some underlying difference in the base Porsche GT2 ECU tuning that does not agree with the 'basic' Stage 4 GT programming? Wouldn't this base GT2 programming be identical to stock X50 programming? (I am assuming you've had success with a Stage 4 GT upgrade on an X50).

Again guys, very impressive client service. I'm looking forward to having my GT/R goodies installed soon and reaping all the power I was originally expecting.

Mike

Old 02-19-2004, 06:19 AM
Hey guys, what are your thoughts.

I am not pleased with the dyno work at PE and want to see if you guys think I'm reasonable. I paid $150 (fairly high but not outrageous) for three dyno pulls. I received 1 dyno pull and I don't believe that one.

The first dyno they ran was around 250 rwhp and 190 ft/lbs torque and the tach signal went off the chart. The next one was not much better but they "over adjusted" the tach signal and it never went above like 5 grand. The final pull was the numbers I stated with the tach signal "adjusted" correctly. The dyno operator was putting in some kind of a fudge factor to correct the reading. This is on a car with an electronic MSD ignition so picking off a tach signal is about as easy as it gets. They also had trouble trying to run Shanks V12. Also, is 80 ft/lb of torque change and only a 20 hp change in dyno runs believable? I have very little dyno experience so I really don’t know, but it sure doesn’t make sense to me.

Opinions?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno Day at Porsche Exchange