996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dyno Day at Porsche Exchange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:32 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by ColorChange
Hey guys, what are your thoughts.

I am not pleased with the dyno work at PE and want to see if you guys think I'm reasonable. I paid $150 (fairly high but not outrageous) for three dyno pulls. I received 1 dyno pull and I don't believe that one.

The first dyno they ran was around 250 rwhp and 190 ft/lbs torque and the tach signal went off the chart. The next one was not much better but they "over adjusted" the tach signal and it never went above like 5 grand. The final pull was the numbers I stated with the tach signal "adjusted" correctly. The dyno operator was putting in some kind of a fudge factor to correct the reading. This is on a car with an electronic MSD ignition so picking off a tach signal is about as easy as it gets. They also had trouble trying to run Shanks V12. Also, is 80 ft/lb of torque change and only a 20 hp change in dyno runs believable? I have very little dyno experience so I really don’t know, but it sure doesn’t make sense to me.

Opinions?
Tim,

To be honest, I had my doubts as well. It is quite far fetched that my stage 2 hit 505rwtq. That translates to like 580 lb/ft at the crank. Seems way high. Also, there is inadequate cooling and the airflow around the dyno is terrible. It seemed like all the air was sucked out of the room after Shank's runs. Fall-Line motorsports should get their mustang dyno in the next week or so. They will charge us only $100 each and we can do up to 6 runs. The manufacturer of the dyno will be there to train people so we would be safe. I cannot imagine who better to dyno our cars than the actual manufacturer. It will be interesting to see the results after we run on the mustang dyno.

Lou

Old 02-19-2004, 08:35 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
I will say one thing for the PE, Bill and all the techs were really great. A great bunch of guys. I really cannot hold it against them for the PE pricing policy. Obviously some of them were inexperienced, but, it was good to have Stephen and Todd there. I doubt I would have dynoed without them there.

Lou

Old 02-19-2004, 08:41 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
What were the numbers from the Zero Clearance car??

Old 02-19-2004, 08:48 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally posted by ColorChange
Hey guys, what are your thoughts.

I am not pleased with the dyno work at PE and want to see if you guys think I'm reasonable. I paid $150 (fairly high but not outrageous) for three dyno pulls. I received 1 dyno pull and I don't believe that one.

The first dyno they ran was around 250 rwhp and 190 ft/lbs torque and the tach signal went off the chart. The next one was not much better but they "over adjusted" the tach signal and it never went above like 5 grand. The final pull was the numbers I stated with the tach signal "adjusted" correctly. The dyno operator was putting in some kind of a fudge factor to correct the reading. This is on a car with an electronic MSD ignition so picking off a tach signal is about as easy as it gets. They also had trouble trying to run Shanks V12. Also, is 80 ft/lb of torque change and only a 20 hp change in dyno runs believable? I have very little dyno experience so I really don’t know, but it sure doesn’t make sense to me.

Opinions?

Yeah, I paid 100 for the SL. They stated "Don't worry , we only charged you $100 for the SL" I'm thinking, uh.......why am I being charged at all.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:48 AM
996TTR is infamous around these parts996TTR is infamous around these parts
Did not dyno it. We knew what the results were going to be. The car has dynoed in the same range as Shanks car and runs the same. Stephen and I are going to talk today about making some changes when they come back to Chicago.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:52 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally posted by msindi
What were the numbers from the Zero Clearance car??
Zero RWHP, and Zero RWTQ. However, in midrange, it averaged Zero but spiked up to Zero after 6500RPM.

Oh, BTW, that car didn't dyno yesterday. The issue was outside dyno testing.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
It was great to meet you guys yesterday. Thank you for letting Kaspar and I "crash" the party at Porsche Exchange. It is great to meet enthusiasts and overall great people that enjoy this as much as we do. I think we have a great 6speed community and yesterday demonstrated that. I look forward to seeing you guys in the next few weeks when we return.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 02-19-2004, 09:06 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
thanx guys...
What are the issues the Zero Clearance car is having??

Old 02-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Really no major ones. Car is running fine. We are going to change the exhaust and then dyno it again.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:27 AM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
You guys could dyno at AMS located in Arlington Heights. I think they have an AWD dyno.

-Awais

Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 AM
I thought the only one was in Naperville? LSM said that the one in Glenview should open next week.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:36 AM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
You can call AMS and find out. Here's their website address: http://www.automotosports.com/

-Awais

Old 02-19-2004, 10:03 AM
LSM,

I think the Glenview Mustang Dyno is the best solution. Besides, you'd want them to disconnect the front diff anyway.

RS

Old 02-19-2004, 10:45 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Lou, since you and Stephen both have the same Cargraphic exhaust, and similar level ECU programming from two different companies, is there a way you can post the graphs so we can compare HP tracings and area under the TQ curves ? That would tell us as more than just peak numbers .

Old 02-19-2004, 11:27 AM
LSM
Originally posted by ShankGT2
LSM,

I think the Glenview Mustang Dyno is the best solution. Besides, you'd want them to disconnect the front diff anyway.

RS
It is not necessary to disconnect the front diff when using a mustang dyno. According to stephen it is preferable to tune on the mustang dyno as it gives true hp and torque figures.

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno Day at Porsche Exchange