996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Safety of GT3 Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Safety of GT3 Seats

So I'm looking around for seats to put in the GT2.

I am considering the GT3 seat, but the fact that they are made of fiberglass or GRP (glass reinforced plastic) scares me a bit in the event of getting rear ended.

Can anyone comment on this? Are the GT3 seats even FIA approved?

Instead I am looking at the Cobra Suzuka Technology seat, which is one piece carbon fiber construction. Lighter than the GT3 seat AND crash tested to 63G's of impact, 3 times the FIA requirement!

Old 02-18-2004, 01:58 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
Well they are in Europe. So I don't think that you will have a problem.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:12 AM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
i don't think u'll have any problem with that...
I trust GT3 seats more than the standard sports seat...
hey... u can even fold them back...haha

but well... since they're used in euro gt2 and gt3.... it's pretty strong...
well...they better be at such high price

Old 02-18-2004, 05:47 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I saw GT3 seats with carbon backs yesterday on a car at the dealer service here when I wnet to pickup my dad's TT after readjusting his B&M...The carbon backs are SICK especially for those who have full carbon interiors...even nicer than the carbon backs on the Ferrari sort seats

Old 02-18-2004, 07:47 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
From what I have read, the "GT3" seats do carry FIA approval.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:41 AM
02TT_87GNX is infamous around these parts
Whats the difference between GT2 and GT3 seats? Weight? Comfort?

Old 02-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned
MTBR is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 02TT_87GNX
GT2 seats are standard sport seats.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by 02TT_87GNX
The GT2 & GT3 come standard with what is known as "Sport Seats".

Available in both the GT2 & GT3 from the factory in Euro cars and through the aftermarket in the US are the fixed back seats known as "GT3 Seats".

I have never heard of any seating option being refered to as "GT2 seats". The GT3 seats are ~29lbs while the standard sport seats are over 50 lbs (from what I hear). The GT3 seats hold you in a lot better, but they are not as easy to get in or out of. YMMV.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Don't forget that you do have an engine between you and another car in the event of a rear end collision.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:43 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
I feel more comfortable in the GT3 seat over a standard seat, just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Code Red
Don't forget that you do have an engine between you and another car in the event of a rear end collision.
Yes, but the forces generated by an impact can still break the seat.

The fact that Porsche uses them in Europe only means so much. I want to know if they have FIA approval for safety. Basic FIA approval means approximately 21g's of force can be sustained by the seat.

When was the last time you saw a real race car with fiberglass seats? WRC, F1, ALMS?

msindi, the carbon back seats are cool, but they are for looks only, the shell itself is still GRP.

Let me pose the question this way, is there any reason why I should get the GT3 seats OVER the Cobra Suzuka carbon fiber seats?

Old 02-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Hamann7
The fact that Porsche uses them in Europe only means so much. I want to know if they have FIA approval for safety. Basic FIA approval means approximately 21g's of force can be sustained by the seat.
As stated above, everywhere I have looked the seats carry FIA approval. It is indicated by a lot of companies that sell the seats. Just do a search online and you are bound to see it. It may even say on the seats themselves, but I am not pulling mine to find out.

When was the last time you saw a real race car with fiberglass seats? WRC, F1, ALMS?
This past weekend at the PCA club race at Sebring, plenty of fiberglass seats. In the world of ultimate lightness and unlimited budgets, CF is the way to go. For us regular Joes there is still the fiber reinforced plastic or fiberglass seats. Just as good, a bit heavier, and a lot cheaper.

Let me pose the question this way, is there any reason why I should get the GT3 seats OVER the Cobra Suzuka carbon fiber seats?
No reason other than the fact that the GT3 seats are a factory part and the seat mounting is direct fit. Otherwise its up to you and what fits you and your needs best.

As stated from Intence Motorsport site...

http://www.i-m-racing.com/recarogt3seat.html

The Recaro GT3 seat is the same ergonomically designed racing seat that is used in the World Class PorscheĀ® GT3. It provides the balance you need to maintain comfort and control behind the wheel of your Boxster or 996. Recaro seats are FIA-approved and deliver a 60lb reduction in weight. Includes eyelets for both 4 and 6 point harnesses. Includes mounting hardware and tracks for 986/996 chassis.

You can also find similar FIA approval notes from other sites.

HTH.

Last edited by Sloth; 02-18-2004 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by JASCLASS
I feel more comfortable in the GT3 seat over a standard seat, just my opinion.
JASCLASS - really? Have you spent any amount of time in them, or was it a quick sit type of thing? I think they look fantastic, and snug as can be, but wonder about anything more than 30 minutes in them...

Old 02-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by teutonictrio
JASCLASS - really? Have you spent any amount of time in them, or was it a quick sit type of thing? I think they look fantastic, and snug as can be, but wonder about anything more than 30 minutes in them...
6'4" and 215lbs to boot. They can get a bit snug after a few hours.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:18 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by teutonictrio
I think they look fantastic, and snug as can be, but wonder about anything more than 30 minutes in them...

Yes, Im thinking along those same lines. I dont think it would be good for a daily driver...although I could be wrong?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Safety of GT3 Seats