996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercoolers - Why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
KA is set up with an Andial IC gauge. This gauge reads charged air in/out and delta. I heard Andial closed. I don't know who sells this equipment now.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
There is no doubt that a larger core and better air flow will make for cooler intake temps and more power.

I would love to see some intake temperature logging with and without upgraded intercoolers.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-18-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
also remember flow is important... less restriction more efficiency... think of it this way a regular head vs a ported head...

Old 12-18-2006, 10:24 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cjv
Multiplying by 100 simply converts the decimal to a percentage. Your theory on 0 F isn't correct. Reason being .............. air velocity or chill factor. Another reason is below a certain ambient temperature the gain is not even noticable. Case in point. Put cyrogentic sprayers on a IC. They will work well above 70 degrees F ambient temp. The higher the ambient temp above 70 degrees the better they perform. When the ambient temps drop below 70 degree the delta is barely noticable.

The formula I provided is how the industry rates IC's. Maybe the industry is wrong.

No matter how you want to spin it, you cannot calculate thermal effeciency of an intercooler or aftercooler without using ambient temperature.

I wonder where my original post disappeared to? This forum is to help people learn and having someone correct and erroneous statement should be welcomed.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Maximus is infamous around these parts
Blown6

I bought a set from Blownsix that were supposed to be a direct replacement, Well the intercoolers looked great but as far as direct replacement, yea as soon as you break out the sawzall and plastic cement!!

Old 12-18-2006, 12:51 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
No matter how you want to spin it, you cannot calculate thermal effeciency of an intercooler or aftercooler without using ambient temperature.

I wonder where my original post disappeared to? This forum is to help people learn and having someone correct and erroneous statement should be welcomed.
1999Porsche911,

You have made your point and I have made mine. Please show us an efficiency example of your point showing the calcs for let's say 60 and 70 degrees F ambient temp. I know I would be interested.

As for your post. It is possible I hit the edit button instead of the quote button and then didn't save when this mistake was made. I have done this and so have other Mods in the past. It is a easy mistake to make. Rest assure there was no intent to make anything disappear, because if that was my intent I would not have quoted your post and then answered it. Your original post can still be viewed above as I did quote it. Do you understand this?

Yes, this forum is to help all of use learn and I welcome any correction as long as it has the back up. So far it is just your say so and you may be right. Please provide the proof as I am really interested in getting this right. My explanation came from a well known IC manufacturer. Thanking you in advance.

Your explanation does bring up a few questions in my mind. If you are correct:

1) How would a manufacturer go about obtaining an efficiency number? Did they simply get together and choose a certain ambient temp to test at?

2) Did they agree a a certain air velocity?

3) If the above is true then we really can't compare IC's on our cars because of different boost (intake temps) and possibly varying ambient temps. If one car is quicker does it produce a lower temp. because of greater air velocity?

4) Does humidity also pay a part?

5) Finally ............. are we splitting hairs as to the difference in the efficiency numbers arrived at the way I explained above and your method of incorporating ambient temps. in the calc.

Last edited by cjv; 12-18-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:28 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
For those with Gembella Turbo Spoiler... IMHO one large intercooler located in that spoiler is Ideal!
1. Remove those restrictive old intercoolers and sell them
2. One large Intercooler with more surface area
3. Higher the intake location the cooler the air... tarmack is very hot
4. You would have time for the turbocharged air to cool before the IC
5. The path from the IC to the motor would be shorter
6. Shorter path means less time for air to loose its cool charge
7. Shorter path increase effeciency
8. I think the problem from Gembella is that they use three IC.. the original two IC are small... restrictive... remember the saying " a chain is a strong as its weakest link"" I just dont think you need those small IC if you use one Large IC ....

just food for thought???

Old 12-18-2006, 04:47 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Rob,
ALthough I don't necessarily agree with some of your reasoning.....three is a charm, I have had mine for some time....

Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPV
Rob,
ALthough I don't necessarily agree with some of your reasoning.....three is a charm, I have had mine for some time....

If I recall correctly... didn't you loose HP after you putt the third IC on?
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-18-2006, 05:08 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Mark,
I had some sporadic results between damaged headers (hit the ground and crushed the pipes) and other headers.

I don't recall ever doing a before and after for the Gemballa IC alone. I am not touting its virtues. It is completely possible it may rob a little power. I would have to do an A/B comparo to tell.

The Airflow theoretically works as follows....

It sure looks cool!

ROFLMAO!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Marski and Ken

Remember we are trying to maximize the engine's effiency... Remember more areas of resisitance for the flow of air into the engine creates problems.. and that is the reason you lost power. IMHO If you had only one large EFFICIENT intercooler I think you would make more power, make the power earlier in your rev range, and use less boost to make the equivalent power. I think having those OEM IC in the flow path only created more problems. OEM IC are highly restictive and not that effecient for high HP motors like yours. I think we are trying to solve two problems when it comes to determing IC... first they must not create flow problems between the turbos and the motor if so they just create more lag. Secondly, they should lower the intake charge and in doing so increasing horsepower. If these two criterias are meet then you have a more responsive motor with increased horspower... what do you think?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPV
Mark,
I had some sporadic results between damaged headers (hit the ground and crushed the pipes) and other headers.

ROFLMAO!!!
I may be wrong but I thought you did the dynos and it robbed you of 40 HP/.... maybe Im thinking of someone else....
I think the whole point was the the 3rd IC hampered the performance.... and the point was to run one I think...
Im sure some of the older guys here will remember the thread...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Additionally, If you use only one IC I think you could use the side intakes to individually feed the turbos... wowow think of that, a direct path to the turbos!!!!!! I dont understand why Porsche uses such a long path to feed the turbos???

Old 12-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
Whirls is infamous around these partsWhirls is infamous around these parts
Very informative! Thanks...

Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Dont you think with the third IC your initial air flow to the filter is very hot?