996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is a porsche a car for a "younger" kid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:54 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Welcome man!
Well...you should not really consider what other people will think, or tell in face, about you and your car.
I just can say that you seem to be a very sensible person like me and you consider other comment tooooooooooooooo much.
SO...forget about stupid comments and go buy your dream car!
OH... and WELCOME

Old 12-15-2006, 09:48 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Hey Ashtrok!

Don't forget to come here as soon as you're off the hook and gives us some rep for the good words we putted in for ya, kid!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Yeah, help make up for the multiple anonymous negative reps I scored.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Kid - you definately are groing up in a different world than I grew up in. My buddy had a Vega that burnt more oil than gas... and that was cool!

Old 12-15-2006, 07:08 PM
tweety is infamous around these parts
While I certainly agree with some of the "you only live once" comments, I don't think that this car, specifically the turbo version, is for you-YET.
Try out a nice S version first. Live with it for a few years and then move up.
My thought on this is that I have seen many threads before I joined both here and on other sites with grown men and recently a young girl about your age getting smeared in the turbo version.
Not dead like in normal wrecks (such that they are) but smeared in the eraser to the ground results. Graphic for sure but let's be realistic here, you are still in many ways just a young man in a big bad *** beast. Are you mentally ready? I doubt it. Don't get bent by that comment, it is a general society reference to men your age.
If, as it sounds like your life is headed, that you are going to be upwardly mobile then I suspect that you will have a ton of time to get machines of this grade level. Don't rush in and get hurt. It won't do anyone any good then.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tweety
While I certainly agree with some of the "you only live once" comments, I don't think that this car, specifically the turbo version, is for you-YET.
Try out a nice S version first. Live with it for a few years and then move up.
My thought on this is that I have seen many threads before I joined both here and on other sites with grown men and recently a young girl about your age getting smeared in the turbo version.
Not dead like in normal wrecks (such that they are) but smeared in the eraser to the ground results. Graphic for sure but let's be realistic here, you are still in many ways just a young man in a big bad *** beast. Are you mentally ready? I doubt it. Don't get bent by that comment, it is a general society reference to men your age.
If, as it sounds like your life is headed, that you are going to be upwardly mobile then I suspect that you will have a ton of time to get machines of this grade level. Don't rush in and get hurt. It won't do anyone any good then.
The girl that got smeared at the toll booth was driving a Carrera, not a turbo.

Counter - what do you think the average age of a jet fighter pilot is?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:35 PM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
Counter - what do you think the average age of a jet fighter pilot is?

The difference is they can't afford to buy the jet fighter but have gotten the ride through careful screening, demonstrated skill and only after a lot of training.

Age isn't the determining factor here, many professional racers are young. It comes down to driving skill and maturity to use the power of a 996TT wisely that get's any of us killed...or not. We don't know this poor poster well enough to judge that.

So, Ashok what do you intend to do with a 996TT once you get it?

Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CSD952
The difference is they can't afford to buy the jet fighter but have gotten the ride through careful screening, demonstrated skill and only after a lot of training.

Age isn't the determining factor here, many professional racers are young. It comes down to driving skill and maturity to use the power of a 996TT wisely that get's any of us killed...or not. We don't know this poor poster well enough to judge that.

So, Ashok what do you intend to do with a 996TT once you get it?
Exactly what i was going to mention, i agree great post! I mean its easy to assume that a younger person wouldnt have the experience in such a car of this calibur, we wouldnt want to see someone buy their car and hurt themselves

Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 AM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
MrBlonde - A positive rep point to help balance it out.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Ever play a game where it's easy to win? (ie. getting the TT) Not as much fun as one where you have to stuggle to win, huh. Well that 998TT will be 10x more sweet if you deny yourself and take care of business first. Getting there is half the fun and I think you're off to a good start at a top college.

Last edited by Acropora; 12-16-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 PM
ajax1964 is infamous around these parts
I have to ask, how insane would the insurance premium be for a 19 year old in a TT?

Old 12-16-2006, 12:29 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ajax1964
I have to ask, how insane would the insurance premium be for a 19 year old in a TT?
Assuming a clean driving records it's actually not that bad...

Old 12-16-2006, 05:21 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Smile

Hey Ashok,

Nice seeing another fellow cornellean here... did you see my car in collegetown last weekend or driving around campus?? i went back to visit some friends last weekend..

i'm 23 and i bought my car 2 years ago, i can tell you, if you get a p-car, you'll get a lot of ***, espeically in college...
i may drive up tonight from NYC to pickup my gf or she'll be taking the bus down to the city, if i do drive up, we can meet up and you can take a look at the car if you'd like.

Jason

pic was taken in the loading zone behind eddygate

Originally Posted by ashokn225
Hey guys

Name's Ashok--just joined a week ago, this is my first post/thread. Been lurking for a while and picked up quite a good deal of info on the 996's. I'm 19, soon 20(feb) and attend Cornell University. Wanted to say whats up to everyone here.

Oh yeah, I have a question too . I drive an X3 right now,2.5 6spd---overall a fun car to drive. I'm lucky enough to have a successful, hard working dad. But now im in the position where im in the middle of a deal that should close within 2 months and I will have earned a good chunk of money( obviously "dont count ur chickens before they hatch", but nonetheles). At first I was planning on just investing all of it so I will be setup to either invest back into my company or setup larger investments when I am out of college. But, as many on this forum have, I have fallen in love with the porsche turbo. I hope I havent fallen in love with the idea of owning a porsche turbo, but I think my "love" is mostly non-materialistic hahah.

ANYWAYS, back to the question part of the post-- personally, I feel theres an age for everything regarding the finer things in life. The BMW fits me well I think, at least my personality, lifestyle and age. Iive been thinking alot about how others will percieve me in a porsche turbo(996). The majority of people I fear will think "oh look at the rich kid", without first asking if I paid for it or not, since most 20 year olds cant afford a car like this. Now, obviously this will only happen with the people that dont matter and the people that do matter will know the kind of person I am and how I paid for it.

Haha, arite that was a long *** post but ultimately I guess my question is--Is it pretentious for a 20 year old to drive a porsche turbo? And if so, what is some other advice you guys have in regards to investments and cars for me?

Just looking for some advice

Thanks
Ashok

Last edited by angldrkns9; 12-16-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned
Eric523 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
my insurance at $1300/year for full coverage for my p-car
DAAAAMMN....I'm 20 and my insurance is about $2000 on my truck, and that's for state minimum. I guess it's because I can score points faster that Kobe

Old 12-17-2006, 02:08 AM
glpdx is infamous around these parts
I'm gonna go against the grain here. It's simple, if you can afford it and you really want it, then buy it. Even if it turns out to be a mistake, you will have experienced some valuable life lessons that most people don't get the opportunity to experience.

I will add, however, that my driving skills in my college years weren't anywhere near what I thought they were. Experience has taught me that there is no substitute for experience.

I can't stress how important it is that you force yourself to complete at least a couple performance driving courses immediately after your purchase. Maybe even one before you buy the Turbo, then a couple afterwards. An added benefit will be that you can express your excitement for your newly attained horsepower in a controlled environment.

Happy shopping and have fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Is a porsche a car for a "younger" kid?