996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Day Helmet Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:24 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
glpdx (Don't know your name?),
I don't mean to sound harsh, but frankly, your questions are irrelevent if you are dead. A common cause of death with automobile racing is BSF (Basal Skull Fracture). It is a condition wherein the car, in a head on crash such as with a barrier or tire wall, decelerates at an extremely rapid rate. THe car, and your body, decelerate at roughly the same rate (neglecting harness belt stretch for this conversation), however, your head continues forward at whatever speed you were traveling. The only restraint for your head, with the additional weight of a helmet, are your muscles, tendons and ligaments at the back of your neck. If severe enough, the tendon and ligament attachments to the base of the skull will literally tear off with a part of the bone and allow the head to snap forward under the deceleration forces. THis has caused severing of the spinal cord and instant death.

Before you minimize this possibility, consider this, last year, I know of at least three deaths resulting from this. One was Ben Keaton (RIP) and one was a beginner at Watkins Glen who was doing his first solo session.

So, comfort, as I said, is irrelevent. But, since you asked, it is not uncomfortable and it does limit your head's side to side mobility. To me, that is a small privce to pay for the added assurance that you have increased your odds of survival in a crash.

Put simply, buy and R3 and do not look back.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Dirty Mac is infamous around these parts
Ken, you convinced me but why does the HANS device need a harness system? The R3 system just looks like it could be very uncomfortable. Do you have to have a special helmet for HNRS?

Does anybody know which SA2005 helmets are the lightest? How about motorcylce helmets? I was checking those out and love the graphics you can get them with. What about ventilation? It gets very hot down here in FLA without any AC on.

This thread came at a perfect time since I just joined PCA and plan on attending track days starting early January.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:05 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
D Mac,
The Hans device relies on the harness to hold the device to your shoulders. No harness, no hold down for the restraint device. In addition, an oblique crash (not head on) can potentially dislodge a Hans Device from under the harness shoulder straps. The R3 is completely independent from the harness system and is a self contained unit that straps to your body. From an engineering perspective, it is a more direct load path. I highly recommend the R3. There are some helmets that are specifically designed for H&N restraint devices, however, you can generally install them on most helmets.

My Sparco helmet is extremely light. In general, there are differences between motorcycle helmets and automobile racing helmets. They relate to colors, insulation, weight and ventilation, not to mention reinforcement for a H&N Restraint.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:08 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Hey Glenn,
Nice to see you'll be tracking the car...

Hey KPV, could you elaborate on why you feel the R3 is structurally superior to the Hans device? Curious b/c I've been looking at purchasing one of these devices.

http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/it.I/id.1...c=2&category=2

Last edited by silversurfer; 12-17-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Ken, Where can I check out the R3?

Old 12-17-2006, 07:13 PM
KPV
SS,
When you compare the R3 and the Hans, the first thing you will notice is the Hans' need for a harness to function properly. The second thing that is required is a properly aligned and tightened harness for the Hans to function correctly. If the harness is not sitting on the "wings" correctly, it can slip off. But these are just nuisances. The really important aspect is this....

With the Hans, as you decelerate forward in a crash, your body moves as much as 12 inches out of the seat towards the steering wheel as the belts stretch under tension. During this time, they pinch the Hans "wings" onto your shoulders. Your head's forward momentum is resisted by the upturned rear collar of the Hans and then is transmitted to a downward pressure on your chest and an upward force under the belts. It is not a really direct load path and as mentioned, it relies heavily on proper installation and it must have harnesses to even work.

The R3 is simplicity in action. In its simplest sense, it is like strapping a 2x4 to your back and tying the helment to it. Your head force is translated into a forward force on the back of your scapula and a rearward force at the strap around the chest. The rearward force is also distributed to the seatback. Plain and simple, it is a very simple load path and it works irrespective of whether you have harnesses.

D Mac,
You can read about the R3 here...
http://www.lfttech.com/

Old 12-18-2006, 01:24 AM
doccao is infamous around these parts
I always carry my snowboard helmet (black on black) next to me in the passenger's seat just in case someone young punk wants to gives me the knod at a red light. "Better safe than sorry."

Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Some of the responses are absolutely .

I am surprised NOBODY here has mentioned the Stand 21 helmets. They are the lightest and arguably the best auto helmets available. They are compatible with HANS and they are designed really, really well. A cut or two above any of the helmets mentioned so far.

It's also one of the most expensive, starting at around $1000 on up... but can you really put a price on safety? Especially something protecting your head???

Old 12-19-2006, 04:13 AM
glpdx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Hey Glenn,
Nice to see you'll be tracking the car...

Hey KPV, could you elaborate on why you feel the R3 is structurally superior to the Hans device? Curious b/c I've been looking at purchasing one of these devices.

http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/it.I/id.1...c=2&category=2
Holy Sh.. you're still alive! Good to hear from you. I look forward to hearing about your project. We'll have to let the turbos play with each other again soon.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
Ken, you convinced me but why does the HANS device need a harness system? The R3 system just looks like it could be very uncomfortable. Do you have to have a special helmet for HNRS?

Does anybody know which SA2005 helmets are the lightest? How about motorcylce helmets? I was checking those out and love the graphics you can get them with. What about ventilation? It gets very hot down here in FLA without any AC on.

This thread came at a perfect time since I just joined PCA and plan on attending track days starting early January.
What track and when????

Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
What track and when????
Hi Tom,

Just sent you a PM before reading your post. I am going to the PCA track day on Jan 7 at Moroso. Very excited. I went to the Chin track day at Moroso this past Sunday but I wasn't registered. Took a couple of parade laps but that was just a tease.

I think I've narrowed down my helmet search to a Simpson Diamondback, Simpson Raider or Stand 21. Then comes choice of color: Black, yellow or white. I hate buying things blind but I don't know where I can try on any of these helmets. Does anybody know of a place down in S. Fla where they sell a selection of racing helmets? I was trying out some motorcycle helmets. Loved the graphics and prices but I've been told that they are heavier than car helmets which I want to avoid.

Anyway Tom, hope to see you at the track.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:41 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Stan, I will be instructing on your day. Maybe they will give me you as a student since we have the same cars? Anyway see you there!!
tom

Ken with regards to the R3, when you get into students cars do you use a "portable" pad for your back??

Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 PM
KPV
Tom,
The carbon fiber back brace of the R3 is not uncomfortable. In my car with the GT3 seats, I pull out the velcro seatbacks and insert a specially trimmed and shaped foam "U-shaped" pad that the R3 fits into. That is not necessary, but I am a bit OC. In a student's car, usually a Porsche, the R3 fits quite nicely against the seatback of the stock Porsche seats. It has never been a problem for me.
The peace of mind is worth it.
Best,
Ken

Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Shame on you Ken for not using full disclosure. The best system for one car mounting is highly arguably the ISAAC system. If you are instructing and need to change vehicles I think the R3 is the best choice.

More importantly, get one. All of them are hugely benficial and the first thing I recommend after 6-point belts and any helmet.

Last edited by ColorChange; 12-20-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Ken, thanks for all the info. I also have the GT3 seats. Does the R-3 cause any "damage" by rubbing against the seat backs or head rests? Especially if one is in a students brand new porsche!
thanks again
tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Day Helmet Recommendations