996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clear Bra: 3M vs Venture vs Avery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Clear Bra: 3M vs Venture vs Avery

Which is better? 3M is a little thinner and I have heard that it has less propensity to yellow.

Also, has anyone used Executive Motoring and or Doug Holland? They are recommended as the two best in the Houston area.

All opinions are welcome. Thanx!

Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
3M Aerospace > Venture > 3M Automotive

Old 12-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I take that that is a hierarchy, Sally. Where does Avery fit in?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I would agree with SallyMobile. I have venture and no issue after 2 yrs. I think installer and cut kit used has a greater effect on the job than material in most cases. I've not heard of avery. if you choose a kit like most people, make sure the coverage and edges meet your satisfaction. Some kits have edges in middle of lower bumper and sides of fender instead of wrap around.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:29 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I take that that is a hierarchy, Sally. Where does Avery fit in?
I'm sorry, I'm not too sure.

3M's aerospace film is great though. It's noticably clearer than Venture, though both it and Venture have none of the "orange peel" effect that the 3M automotive film has.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 PM
RPM
RPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud of
i have autobahn, venture shield, and 3M although i dont know if its aerospace. the autobahn is nice and thin as if its not even there. the 3M is a little thicker and the venture shield i believe looks and feels the thickest. the problem i have with venture is that when i recently went to hand wash the car, it created a light sratch or rub mark on the surface. i could not get it out. when i contact the benz dealership who contacted venture shield they refused to replace it b/c they said that as long as it does not "bubble" then we are not going to replace. their website specifically warranties for any surface scratches that may occur since they say their product is scratch resistant. i am currently having my dealership work it out with venture until they replace it.

have not had a prob with autobahn or 3M.

Ross

Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
I bought my car with the 3m. I do not like it. It is scratched up pretty bad and looks like orange peel. I am thinking about having it removed and dealing with the once every 5yr repaint

Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, the Venture on my G35 has been worth it. It seems that the older tapes had more of a propensity to yellow. I catch so many rocks on my highway runs (I live on the edge of Houston in Sugarland and do a 35 miles straight highway shot to teach the country boys/girls Political Science twice a week) that a clear bra is mandatory.

One last question: Anyone do their doors?

Old 12-17-2006, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Well, the Venture on my G35 has been worth it. It seems that the older tapes had more of a propensity to yellow. I catch so many rocks on my highway runs (I live on the edge of Houston in Sugarland and do a 35 miles straight highway shot to teach the country boys/girls Political Science twice a week) that a clear bra is mandatory.

One last question: Anyone do their doors?
I had the doors done by Premier using Venture film on my wife's M5. They help a bit with door dings, and would definitely help with keying.

Doors were done in 1 piece, and edges were rolled over to the inside so they're invisible from the outside:

Door handles were done too:

Rocker panels done up to the very edges:

Old 12-17-2006, 06:49 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
I've used the 3M products and the Venture shield and would have to say that the installer is more important than the brand of material. I've got it on all my cars and all my company vehicles and some last forever and never peel or yellow and some of them peel in the first two or three months.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Clubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of light
I have used 3M on several racecars, it works very well.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
I live in So. Cal and was wondering if anyone has a number to a mobile person who can come to my work and 3m aerospace my car?

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2006, 04:10 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
3m aerospace- envisage design labs in OC, Bain is a member here, i am not sure if they are doing installs at lucent, but you can contact arling.

venture- premier mobile

either one will do an excellent job but dont expect to pay less than 1K, whereas any other random place will charge 300-500

Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
3M on the front of my car which is 90% used on the track. This cars nose is run up cars in front of me all the time with race slicks and R compound tires and all kinds of flying ****. NOT A CHIP OR DING!!!! This has been priceless for my "piece of mind" at the track!!