996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

shift light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:46 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
shift light

anyone have exp hooking up shift light ??? really can't be to hard just lookin for an easy way to find my tac lead without removing cluster thanks in advance

Old 12-16-2006, 07:53 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Steve,

Tap into the violet/green wire that goes to the OBD2 port. Works great with mine... shift light video

Last edited by John D; 12-16-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
thanks but where will i find that wire??? obd2???

Old 12-16-2006, 08:14 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Under the dash, drivers side at the outside end there is a purple (I think) port. If you get under there with a flashlight you will see it. It looks like a computer plug. This is where the scan tool connects to scan your vehicle. Just above the port there is a gruop of about 6-7 wires leading into it. It is the violet/green one. Buy a wire tap fitting and tap into it for the signal. It's very easy to do.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:30 PM
john many thanks will do.......you are talkking about the port i plug my giac into correct

Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Never used a GIAC, but I would say that sounds right. It is the only port I know of...or have seen in that area.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:08 PM
that would be correct thanks again !!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 10:22 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
John
How do you tap into the power source?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:31 PM
I connected to a switched power fuse (I think heated seat fuse) in the fuse box just below the OBD2 port. Then you need a ground, which is fairly easy to find. I removed the sides of the center console and grounded to a bolt in there somewhere.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Steve: you have the right port. It is a standard interface on all modern cars.

John: Have you noticed that on hard accelaration the tach indicates 6000 RPM when you hit the limiter? I am being told that this due to a slow moving tach needle.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Ari,

The tach needle does not keep up in first gear, but I am not sure exactly what it reads when the motor is at red line. From second gear on, the tach seems to keep up well, but it is still dificult to know exactly when to shift if you are trying to max out the RPM's. Since installing the shift light, I do not pay as much atention to the tach during all out acceleration - I glance at the tach to have a general idea, but concentrate on the light. As soon the light flashes, I shift. Works really well and is kinda fun, actually.