996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MAF & EVO VFlow Intake - Now I'm Concerned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
ok first wk of January...any news...........waiting patiently...

Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
I installed the Evom V-Flow and 4 weeks later had my first CEL...MAF issue...no fun...but it runs like hell....

Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drjoe
ok first wk of January...any news...........waiting patiently...

Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 AM
chinitowest has a spectacular aura aboutchinitowest has a spectacular aura about
MAF Fix

I use to have the same problem with blown MAFs. I blew 3 MAFS with in 2 weeks of my GT640 tune. One blew just hrs after I put it in. Having EVO local, I have been able to run their prototype in my car for over 2-3 months now, along with another local guy here Joe (renntechv12). We have not had any issues/problems nor blown MAFS since. SY996tt who has a stg 3 has had no problems at all and has not needed the MAF fix, he has 580 at the crank. I do not know when they will be finished testing, but I know you will be happy with the result! I am SO GLAD my car hasn't had the christmas tree dash for months now.

Last edited by chinitowest; 01-28-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:39 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chinitowest
I use to have the same problem with blown MAFs. I blew 3 MAFS with in 2 weeks of my GT640 tune. One blew just hrs after I put it in. Having EVO local, I have been able to run their prototype in my car for over 2-3 months now, along with another local guy here Joe (renntechv12). We have not had any issues/problems nor blown MAFS since. SY996tt who has a stg 3 has had no problems at all and has not needed the MAF fix, he has 580 at the crank. I do not know when they will be finished testing, but I know you will be happy with the result! I am SO GLAD my car hasn't had the christmas tree dash for months now.
That's great news. Which 1 of the 2 prototypes are you guys using?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
yeps mike from having talked to garret and mike... this issue is fixed for GT700s and below Won't be long before everyone gets the right stuff

Old 01-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Does it require a special flash?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
This has been one of the world's great mysteries.

Good to see it has been addressed.

MK

Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Is the fix 100% the right way to do things or just a band-aid? Let's get some details. I've been waiting in the dark here for a long time. Is a larger MAF housing employed in conjunction with the OEM MAF and revised programming? Is the Hitachi MAF, which appearantly handles greater voltages being used with the OEM diameter MAF housing? If the Hitachi MAF was used in conjunction with programming, is there a compromise with other code in the ECU to make room for the increased voltage range?????

Last edited by Zippy; 01-28-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
chinitowest has a spectacular aura aboutchinitowest has a spectacular aura about
In my car I have a OEM MAF in a prototype housing. Seems to be working flawlessly.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I have found the same thing as Zippy. With the V-flow I blew 3 MAFs...took the V-flow out and have not blown one since...obviously same HP...you tell me
I have EVO Stage 2, EP2 Loud exhaust, and the EVO intake...not a single blown MAF.

I hope we realize that we don't have our arms around all of the issues, because if it were as simple as the EVO air box being the root cause of blown MAFs, then *everybody* with the EVO air box would blow their MAF.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I hope we realize that we don't have our arms around all of the issues, because if it were as simple as the EVO air box being the root cause of blown MAFs, then *everybody* with the EVO air box would blow their MAF.
I agree with you altogether... because another tuner( not going to mention names) tunes cars with stock mafs and the V flows and does not blow mafs at all...
I also think that guys in colder/denser climates are more prone to blow MAfs...
just my observation...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
A larger housing with the stock MAF would do the trick. You would need to adjust programming, as the MAF would "see" less airflow. But that should do the trick and limit the velocity and volume of airflow past the MAF and keep voltage in check.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I have EVO Stage 2, EP2 Loud exhaust, and the EVO intake...not a single blown MAF.

Dock. This issue is primarily related to the OEM MAF being able to handle (read) air flow capable of generating 480 HP with the diameter of the OEM MAF housing.

I'm not sure of the specifics regarding VFLOW / MAF issues.

Either way, with your HP level, you aren't really pushing the limits of the OEM MAF, hence no issues for you is no surprise.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by chinitowest
In my car I have a OEM MAF in a prototype housing. Seems to be working flawlessly.
What prototype housing are you using? Is it OEM diameter?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MAF & EVO VFlow Intake - Now I'm Concerned