996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MAF & EVO VFlow Intake - Now I'm Concerned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I don't think the we're hard headed. It just seems that there is a lack of a consensus on this topic.

How come RUF doesn't blow MAFs? And why is EVO's "fix" basically just to place the factory waffle back in?

Originally Posted by cjv
Dock,

I am not sure people listen, choose to ignore or just don't understand. Any mod that pushes your power over 480 hp weakens the stock MAF. Just like the stock 996tt motor, injectors etc, you can push them astThey have a built in safety factor. If you push them, you do so at your own risk. Some will fail at 481 hp others at 800 hp. What don't people understand about this.

There is a fix ............ just have it done. Why put up will a stock Porsche weak link.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:31 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
There is 1 thing that blows a MAF: Too much air flow (or better put - VELOCITY - as adr points out).

There are 2 reasons causing this:

1. Air is focussed on the MAF, thus incorrectly causing the MAF to draw too much current and POP. The Waffle in the VFlow intake will even out the air and fix this.

2. Too Much HP. Even WITH the waffle, there is too much air velocity for the MAF to monitor. (and adjust AFR's appropriately as Markski pointed out)Hopefully the "Hitachi MAF / Programming" will overcome this (good) problem.

My opinion

Last edited by Zippy; 02-10-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:36 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I don't think the we're hard headed. It just seems that there is a lack of a consensus on this topic.

How come RUF doesn't blow MAFs? And why is EVO's "fix" basically just to place the factory waffle back in?
ari,

Many of us don't have an issue and we are running alot of power. We changed to a different MAF that handles the air flow velocities. As for consensus, we have never really looked for that. If we have a problem, we identify it and we fix it. If others want to debate the merit of our fix ............. oh well ........ enjoy.

My opinion is worth exactly what it costs you. I honestly don't know what Ruf has done to address the stock MAF limitations. If they are not having any problems they have succueesfully done something........... just like we have. I am sure there is more than one way to skin this cat.

It appears you are looking for an easier (cheaper) way of fixing it. I wish you all the best in finding it.

Last edited by cjv; 02-10-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Hey guys, I will shed some light from my side.... now this is not against any tuner, in particular Evoms...

from being on this board for 3 years... listening and watching you guys ***** about the MAf.... I did some thinking......
I did notice that guys with either or both criteria met blow mafs... (1) ones living in colder and or changing climates (2) those with more them 600 HP

Now Im not even going to bring the V flow into the picture for now...
When it gets cold, does it go lean?, when it gets hot, does it go rich? I bet YES.
The AFRs are all over the place because the MAF does not know what's going on. now most of u do not know this because u dont have a AFR reader...
How do you expect any car and I mean any car to run well if you do not have a MAF that will read the Air flow coming into the TB. Once the stock MAf is exceeded then the Ecu does not know whats going on ur AFRs will keep changing due to air temps/pressure... blindly.....
Why is it that my AFRs are the same at both 32 degree freezing temps and at 55 degrees...? thats becasue my MAFs is seeing the air flow and my Afrs and other parameters are adjusted accordingly....
I dont really want to bring my car into this... its not about that... I just think u guys are hung up on the V flow and Im pretty sure its not the issue...
So I think that was what Evoms was up to when doing the new maf...
just my opinion,
markski
Markski,

It really isn't the location of the MAF. It is the MAF. The reason I say that is S Car Go has successfully used the Protomotive's Modified Mustang MAF on a 700+ hp GT2. They located it in the same location as the stock MAF.

I am not saying that the location just prior to the TB is inferior to the stock location. I just know the unit successfully works in both locations.

Last edited by cjv; 02-10-2007 at 07:53 AM.