996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Battery Help Needed Please Read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM
marco_polo is infamous around these parts
Battery Help Needed Please Read

Hi everyone,
My Porsche OEM battery died so I purchased an Interstate Mega Tron Plus (MTP-93) today. I was told this is a direct replacement for the Porsche OEM battery. My two questions are:

1. On the Porsche battery there was a small clear tube connected to the side of the battery. There is no such tube connection on the new Interstate Battery. What do I do?

2. How do I avoid having to enter my GPS and Radio Codes when I switch batteries? I have a Porsche TechEquip Battery Maintainer, can I use this to keep power to the car while I replace the battery?? If so, is there any general precautions when doing this.

Thanks everyone, I am trying to be a "Do It Yourselfer" I'm just new at this.

Marc.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
My interstate (Costco) battery had the vent partially covered by the center battery label. The battery had a piece of tubing and hose adapter in a plastic bag that was taped to the battery,

Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
get a car jumper pack (like the tow truck guys and I have) plug into cig lighter and it will keep everything powered while you take out the batteries.
I prefer the optima red top myself.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:30 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tom kerr
get a car jumper pack (like the tow truck guys and I have) plug into cig lighter and it will keep everything powered while you take out the batteries.
I prefer the optima red top myself.
Did you get one of these to work? Which battery and why Red over Yellow.

Thanks,

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2006, 12:46 AM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
I went with the Yellow top. Because it has a better reserve according to the Optima wesite.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 PM
JayM is infamous around these parts
Another vote for the Yellow top, primarily because it is designed to work in environments where it regularly gets discharged (that is the biggest factor the kills the OEM batteries). If you use a maintainer you should be fine with a Red top, which comes in a reverse polarity version that is easier to install. I bolted mine right on to the existing battery tray, which requires drilling four holes.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
When I thought my battery was shot I went to Sears and they have 2 Die Hards listed as fitting, one being longer with more CCA. The smaller one looked like a fairly similar size to the OEM one.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 AM
JWC
Red Devil... your post are hard to read! I can't stop looking at the photo above the writing. But do keep posting....LOL.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JWC
Red Devil... your post are hard to read! I can't stop looking at the photo above the writing. But do keep posting....LOL.
Well thank you! While I love my car and all, and I'm sure some of you guys would enjoy viewing it as well, there's no question that most here would take a nice set of T's over a nice set of Michelins. Being a T man myself, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share what I consider the most perfect natural set of breasts I've ever seen (yes, i do believe they are natural b/c I've always scored quite high on those "real or fake" soft-**** internet boobie e-mail).

Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 AM
JWC
I agree they are REAL...and real nice!

Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Replaced my battery today with the Group 49 Die Hard. Their computer only lists Carrera 4 but under that it shows 3.6 Turbo as the engine . Anyway, it lists Group 48 & 49 as being acceptable sizes. They are both the same width as stock and the 49 is a little longer with the 48 being a little shorter. The battery tray has adjustments for different widths and the 49 went in there easy. The only thing I had to do was put my own nut and bolt in there to tighten the battery-retaining clamp. Apparently, only 3 of the 4 holes have built in threads for the bolt that holds the clamp down and i had to use the 4th (widest) hole. In order to get my bolt under the tray I had to remove the tray with the 4 nuts that are right there. Slip the bolt under before securing the tray back (the nut can't fall due to sheet metal under it) and re-tighten the tray bolts. Drop the battery in and then just put a nut on the top of the bolt to hold the clamp so the battery couldn't slide. Reconnect vent tube & terminals and you are good to go. It starts up so fast now and I think I might have gained 50 HP

Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
RedDevil, did you have to reinput the radio code, or have any problems with the alarm?

I have SatNav, and the RAC guy here told me that if I turn the ignition on, then disconnect the battery, I won't have any problems. Does this sound right?

Thx

Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gtr
Did you get one of these to work? Which battery and why Red over Yellow.

Thanks,
Yes that's it

GMG 996 GT Battery Tray
It's a well known fact that the original equipment battery supplied by Porsche is good for little more than 2 years of life. How many times have you parked your 996 for a few days only to return and find your battery dead? Our GT Battery tray is a great way to upgrade your battery. Optima batteries DO NOT fit into the standard Porsche tray and just throwing the battery into the existing tray is dangerous. Our GT Tray is made of aluminum for years or durability, CNC machined and powder coated satin black for an OE look. Available with or without the Optima battery.

The OPTIMA RedTop

The looks alone generate plenty of buzz. But it's the patented SPIRALCELLĀ® Technology in OPTIMA RedTop batteries that's truly worthy of praise. OPTIMA RedTop batteries are built to withstand the abuse Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's experience on and off-road. SPIRALCELL Technology immobilizes the internal components of the battery, enabling OPTIMA batteries to withstand incredible amounts of vibration.

Vehicles modified for better engine performance demand more from a battery. OPTIMA batteries withstand the high underhood temperatures associated with these Performance vehicles. The sealed cells make the battery spill-proof, even if you install it on its side! This prevents external gassing and leaking which can damage engine components and limit battery performance.

If your battery is used in vehicles that demand extra reliability and performance, or if you just take pride in getting the best performance out of your vehicle, OPTIMA RedTop batteries deliver the performance you demand.

The OPTIMA YellowTop

Demand more from your vehicle? Then get more from your battery. OPTIMA YellowTop batteries are made for the extremes. If you have an extreme vehicle, you expect high performance. Whether your vehicle is made to take the abuse of off-road driving or cranking out decibels, you need more from your battery. OPTIMA batteries with patented SPIRALCELLĀ® Technology deliver that performance. The deep cycle characteristic of this technology coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration provides performance vehicles with the repetitive power they need in a spill-proof package.

If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

LEGAL FOR ALL CLUB RACING AND TIME TRIALS- SCCA-PCA-POC-NASA Great for cars that have upgraded Audio system. Recommend with use of Optima Yellow Top Ideal for anyone who's battery has failed and needs replacement.

Fits all 996 cars from 99 and on, including 996TT, GT2, GT3 and Cup Cars

Last edited by tom kerr; 01-30-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
JWC
Nice post Tom.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
thanks!! try to help when I can.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery Help Needed Please Read