996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I’ve been banned from Silver Star service!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 05:53 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
This thread reminds me of the one Jeru started a few months ago about his friend's experience at Foreign Affairs, albeit these are Rave's first hand accounts. As others have already pointed out, perhaps S/S needs respond to Rave's accounts of the story, just as Bob at F/A did, especially since they are a board sponsor. Or, just maybe, S/S lives by the philosophy that any press - good or bad - good press?

Old 02-23-2004, 06:26 PM
hnyc is infamous around these parts
I can tell you that I've stopped by Silver Star in the past a few times, and aside from an involved motorsports/service department, they seem to be "A Porsche is a cooler car to drive than a Mercedes" kind of dealership. They would never get my business (although I've bought a few parts form them only cause they're the closest to me). Once, a filter cost $5-10 more than I normally pay, and I asked why it was so much more money than last time, and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. I never like being bent over or getting the feeling that I'm getting bent over. These guys, like most P-dealerships, just keep the calculator running as you express any whim to them of changes you'd like to have done to your car. And Retsel, anytime you feel $900 for what he had to have done to his car is peanuts, please drop your car off to me for whatever you need done. Those guys must send you Christmas cards 3 times a year!
And most fondly, I remember a guy who put a deposit on a GT-2 3+ years ago at SS. Once buzz had really built up the owner of SS hijacked the car and told him he was keeping it.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
drbill is infamous around these parts
i have somewhat of a personal relationship with several of the people on staff at Silverstar. a few of them and their families have been patients of mine over many years. if i can help here I can stop by and find out the ENTIRE story. Ron, let me know if this would help at this point.....

Old 02-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by drbill
i have somewhat of a personal relationship with several of the people on staff at Silverstar. a few of them and their families have been patients of mine over many years. if i can help here I can stop by and find out the ENTIRE story. Ron, let me know if this would help at this point.....
No need, thanks for the offer.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:08 PM
fbrick is infamous around these parts
This is a mess! I looked a couple times and still could not find the original flame thread. First, I doubt that an authorized Porsche dealership could refuse to do warranty work (whether under a manufacturer’s warranty or their own, but probably could refuse to work on anything that was modified or that could be effected by mods, unless under their own warranty (more on that later). And, it sounds like a lot has been modified from stock here, for whatever reason. Second, with regard to some of the costs: Without knowing what ground rules you and SS established with regard to installation of the CF, which you apparently did not buy from them, the seller's cost to a customer, where that seller also does the installation, includes, in addition to some profit, an additional margin that would, over time, permit the seller to recover expenses for (occasional) mistakes. Where the installer did not also sell the item, the installation costs need to incorporate a margin for recovery costs for mistakes. Such as replacement because of a scratch? Did you and SS agree that SS would be responsible for replacement only up to the wholesale or SS’s replacement costs for the original material? Furthermore, where the installer did not sell the parts, and might not be familiar with the manufacturer of the parts, or might even have had bad experiences with that manufacturer's parts, there should have been an up-front understanding between the customer and the installer as to the fitment/function/suitability of the replacement parts in consideration of their intended purpose. So, that might help explain some of the high labor costs. What would have been the installation costs for the seller of the parts, what was their estimation of the quality of fit/difficulty of installation, and were your expectations, based on this or other information you have, met? What guarantees were offered as to fitment/function/suitability, either as a normal course of business or for custom work and what efforts did you make to resolve the problem with SS before posting a public message? The first attempt in resolving a dispute should (always) be between the customer and the merchant, in private, and not in a public forum.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:10 PM
chanh is infamous around these parts
I find it sooooo ghey and childish that they would ban u for something u said on a massage board

Old 02-23-2004, 07:19 PM
tom 77 is infamous around these parts
This whole thing warrants a reply. I don't get it. Who on this board works for free?
You walk into a dealership and tell the service manager that you want stuff installed for free because they have to do work in the neighborhood anyway. It's like asking the roofer to throw in a free skylight installation because he's up there anyway! You bring over parts you claim are perfect and they were not (I know, because I happened to be there when the tech took it out of the box). Then you are ticked off because you were charged for the parts? For the center console alone, it took the guy 2 hours to remove and transfer the panels and screws and then rivet the glove box cover on (with the proper BLACK rivets). That part of the job alone called for 2.5 hours of labor. This wasnt even part of the original problem and the console didnt even have to come out for this job, nor did the handbrake assembly. I really dont think the door panel and pull assembly had to come off to fix the dashboard? If Silver Star can't satisfy you, I think maybe you guys need to buy someting else, perhaps a Yugo, OOPS sorry- TURBO Yugo.
Its real easy to slam a dealer and vent here, but it certainly isn't fair. They took care of me when I had a REAL problem, one that would have been considerably more money than $900.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by tom 77
This whole thing warrants a reply. I don't get it. Who on this board works for free?
You walk into a dealership and tell the service manager that you want stuff installed for free because they have to do work in the neighborhood anyway. It's like asking the roofer to throw in a free skylight installation because he's up there anyway! You bring over parts you claim are perfect and they were not (I know, because I happened to be there when the tech took it out of the box). Then you are ticked off because you were charged for the parts? For the center console alone, it took the guy 2 hours to remove and transfer the panels and screws and then rivet the glove box cover on (with the proper BLACK rivets). That part of the job alone called for 2.5 hours of labor. This wasnt even part of the original problem and the console didnt even have to come out for this job, nor did the handbrake assembly. I really dont think the door panel and pull assembly had to come off to fix the dashboard? If Silver Star can't satisfy you, I think maybe you guys need to buy someting else, perhaps a Yugo, OOPS sorry- TURBO Yugo.
Its real easy to slam a dealer and vent here, but it certainly isn't fair. They took care of me when I had a REAL problem, one that would have been considerably more money than $900.

First off, the door panel and pull were installed by me!! Get your facts straight!!

As for the damaged piece, now I know for sure it was damaged at SS, you are lying about the door pieces, why would you tell the truth about damaging a piece.

The handbrake was NOT installed properly, I have to find a dealer to fix the ****ty work at SS.

The gas gauge was never fixed!!

It took one hour to move the light switch and censor?? Helen Keller could’ve done it in half the time!!

The radio surround had to be removed to replace the dash as did the two side vents, what difference does it make which piece you put back the original or a original CF Porsche piece? None Tom, I doubt that is your real name!!

And it took two hours to move a few wires and relocate my heater/ac unit? Please!!

Keep posting genius, you have no ground to stand on here, admit you guys ****ed up and be a MAN ABOUT IT!

Whatever your real name is, I assume you work for SS, why not post under your real name and tell us your position at SS, no need to hide behind a keyboard, right?

Last edited by Rave TT; 02-23-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
Silver Star is off of my list for any future business.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:42 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Originally posted by tom 77
It's like asking the roofer to throw in a free skylight installation because he's up there anyway!
That's a horrible analogy. It's more like having a brick layer use different color cement (that's provided by whoever is paying you to lay the brick) instead of what was originally supplied and you being the brick layer claiming that since the color changed the price has to go up.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
As an example of great cusomer service, I recently had a Stage I upgrade done by Todd at Evolution Motorsports. I was going to do the stage II but was able to find a different exhaust cheaper. Todd gladly did the upgrade and changed the exhaust free of charge.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:52 PM
gregy is infamous around these parts
Those guys at SS should get their facts straight before they respond instead of making jokes about Yugos.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:53 PM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
I see from his profile that tom77 joined the 6speed board today and has made just the above post. Seems reasonable, considering the message's content, that he is connected with SS or wants us to think he is. If the former, SS apparently does monitor the board. SS customers who contemplate posting to this board should keep that in mind.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:57 PM
tom 77 is infamous around these parts
MY, MY, arent we mature.
I may be wrong about the door panels, I assumed they put it in since it was on the car when I got there. I'm deeply sorry. Because of the two-sided gas tank, I dont know one turbo gauge that works properly.

This wasn't meant to be a personal attack ( I know you took it as one) but lets be fair, maybe you didnt notice the part was scratched. Maybe I'm wrong and he deliberately scratched it when my back was turned, but thats not the point. You asked the dealer to perform free labor and install parts that were not provided by them. That's not how it works in this industry, or in any other. Seriously, who would have expected things to be done this way?

I am not affiliated with or work for Silver Star. A friend pointed out this message to me today and I felt I should speak my piece on an issue that was one-sided and unfair. This is the first and only reply you got in defense of SS and all you could do in your defense is curse. In retrospect, I think you guys are right and should buy Ferraris, Mercedes or a BMW. I'm sure you'll get the same response there as you did here.

Last edited by tom 77; 02-23-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Tom77 with 1 count them ONE post... (on edit 2 posts) I have had many indi's and dealers do work for free.. if the work being performed was in the area or part of what they had to put the car back together they would either offer or I requested they help me out. When doing my oil pan gasket on my 968 the tech called me personally to ask if I wanted to do the rod bearings and he would charge me $0 on the labor, parts only. Why? Because he was there and it took little effort to do the work... Oh and we have a great customer to vendor relationship that is called taking care of your customer. In return I spent big bucks with my dealer in the past and I will continue to do so in the future. One of my best friends is the parts manager at the dealer. I met him when buying parts years ago. Many can tell you that he is the reason many use this particular dealership. (NPB Porsche) Why? Because he treats every single customer like they are the most important customer to walk through the door. I am not blowing smoke up his ***, this has been mentioned to me by others. NOW THAT IS A DEALER I WANT TO WORK WITH!

I know business are not there as a charity... however it is the little things that make a business successful. That is why every single time I am happy with a vendor I make a point to send them as much business via word of mouth as i possibly can... I can show you a stack of letters from vendors over the years thanking me for helping them grow their business. What comes around goes around the community is to small to give anything less then Perfection.

He paid $900 for perfection and got the raw end of the deal. Until SS tells us their side of the story it is only going to grow to a worse situation for them. Like someone said earlier the Porsche community is tight and we stick together. We all like to share our satisfaction and unfortunately we have to warn others when dissatisfied. I know all dealers get complaints that is part of business. You can't make everyone happy but clearly they are taking advantage of customers. That is my .02

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 02-23-2004 at 08:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I’ve been banned from Silver Star service!