996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the RWD conversion benefits? (TT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:39 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
I watched the tech when he removed my drive shaft. You just need to remove the underbody plastic panels and undo the bolts holding the driveshaft in place. It comes right out. I think it's held on by only a few bolts/screws. Here's a vague walkthru: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...RWD+conversion

good luck ! hope that helped.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You'll like it a lot if you're coming from a RWD car(s).

IMO AWD was WORSE for hard launches.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:42 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Man, never knew it was thought of so highly around here, I may look into having it done now. I do love RWD and this is the first AWD car I have owned. I reason I chose the TT over the GT3 was because of modability. Now I see I can have the best of both worlds.

So my next question is:

How does a chipped, RWD conversion TT with PCCB's and Pss9's compare to a GT2?????? From what I'm hearing it seems as though they would be about even.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
In my opinion the AWD makes a much better street car. All the safety features make a better street car. If you want an edgy rack car then get a GT3 over the TT any day.

However be assured that AWD sucks for hard launches!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
In my opinion the AWD makes a much better street car. All the safety features make a better street car. If you want an edgy rack car then get a GT3 over the TT any day.

However be assured that AWD sucks for hard launches!
Too late, I already bought the TT, I like to drag occasionally too so I went with the turbo. I will probably learn the car in AWD the first 6 months, unless neil tells me this RWD conversion doesnt cost an arm and a leg. My next mod is probably JIC then shedding some weight, the car has enough power as it is right now.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-03-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Keep in mind the comments about the DD advantages of AWD. With a high hp lightweight RWD vehicle you must be 100% focused at all times. For example, the other day I was pulling out of my neighborhood to get onto the highway feeder road. There was some construction and hence some gravel on the ground with I giant hummer fast approaching. I was late so I jumped out. Well the turbos kicked and the next thing you know I was drifting sideways. I countersteered and drifted the other way, shifted to second gear and finally got traction. Gave Mr Hummer a nice show, but this occurance illustrates the DD difference between RWD and AWD. The interesting part is while it was happening, my mind/gut was going YES!YES!YES!....then when I got home that night and trying to go to sleep my mind was saying "what is wrong with you....you could have killed someone...or worse yet damaged the GT2....are you 19 years old?".....lol

Remember, you will use a DD for going to work everyday. You probably have a lot on your mind and may prefer the advantage of not being 100% focused on driving the RWD requires.

Then again, if you have a second car for the days when you don't want a "race car driving experience" then RWD is the way to go.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 01-03-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 AM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
So what power do you pickup at the tire? I would figure 5%-7%? So if you are making 500AWHP after conversion 525RWHP. It definately is easier to find a 2wd dyno.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Maybe I must it above, but I believe there are a few parts needed??

some hub covers, or something like that ???

So far, I am still an all-wheel drive sissy, but I am pondering...

Marty

Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 AM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cpu77
So what power do you pickup at the tire? I would figure 5%-7%? So if you are making 500AWHP after conversion 525RWHP. It definately is easier to find a 2wd dyno.

Here is a dyno of my car before and after rwd conversion, same dyno. I also had a LWFW installed at the same time. My result seems excessive. I did notice a difference in power, but not like what the dyno shows.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...360#post815360

Last edited by rwm514; 01-03-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 AM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skojasevic
hypothetically speaking

lets say, on a beautiful dry day
you take two 996tt's and put them on a track
one awd tt and one rwd conversion
they both have suspension modifications, and the same amount of HP
same brakes, and same experienced driver
which car would be faster in the TURNS ?

which car would be faster in one lap of the Nurburgring ?
Well, the 2WD car will have a little less weight, and more power to the ground, and it will be a little faster. The only place where AWD is an advantage is pulling yourself out of slow tight corners. In general terms, though, unless you're a top-notch driver, you will usually feel more comfortable getting to the limits of the AWD car, and will be faster in the real world.

Over a single lap, 2WD is triumphant. Over multiple laps, though, AWD cars manage tire wear better, and that can have an effect, depending on the track. Over a single Nurburgring lap, though, 2WD all the way.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Too late, I already bought the TT, I like to drag occasionally too so I went with the turbo. I will probably learn the car in AWD the first 6 months, unless neil tells me this RWD conversion doesnt cost an arm and a leg. My next mod is probably JIC then shedding some weight, the car has enough power as it is right now.
JIC coilovers and RWD conversion = a badd *** setup!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Maybe I must it above, but I believe there are a few parts needed??

some hub covers, or something like that ???

So far, I am still an all-wheel drive sissy, but I am pondering...

Marty
I also heard the correct way to do the RWD conversion was to use parts from the GT2 to redirect the power that is suppose to go to the front wheels back to the rear wheels for maxiumum efficiency. Can anyone chime in on that?

Old 01-03-2007, 03:11 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The advantage of the awd is in dirt, mud, gravel, snow and rain. The stock VC is only transfering about 40 foot pounds up front at most. You still retain your safety with the PSM system.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
cjv, i thought the central diff will transfer up to 40% to the front and not just 40 ft/lb ?

the shop that did my half way 'conversion' said it's all labor and the entire conversion can be done w/o adding parts, simply removing them will do

Old 01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by notquitefob
cjv, i thought the central diff will transfer up to 40% to the front and not just 40 ft/lb ?

the shop that did my half way 'conversion' said it's all labor and the entire conversion can be done w/o adding parts, simply removing them will do
Approximately forty foot pounds according tp Todd at Protomotive.

I don't believe you want to run your car with the holes going throught the hubs. Porsche makes just such a bolt kit.

Last edited by cjv; 01-03-2007 at 05:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the RWD conversion benefits? (TT)