996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the RWD conversion benefits? (TT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cjv
I don't believe you want to run your car with the holes going throught the hubs. Porsche makes just such a bolt kit.
Do you happen to know the PN's? thx

Last edited by cjv; 01-03-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
Do you happen to know the PN's? thx
Rob from S Car Go went home for the day. I'll ask him for the PN's tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
TT + RWD still retains PSM and it functions fine. That makes a better street car IMO than a GT2. It would be scary to have no PSM in wet weather or in emergency situations like described above. You can always turn PSM off and do your drifting.

That is not to say that a GT2 is not a better track car. It is. Just not for my needs and wants.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
Rob from S Car Go went home for the day. I'll ask him for the PN's tomorrow.
I heard there are covers from the GT2 that you use. Is this the bolt kit you are talking about?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ssmugen
I also heard the correct way to do the RWD conversion was to use parts from the GT2 to redirect the power that is suppose to go to the front wheels back to the rear wheels for maxiumum efficiency. Can anyone chime in on that?
Not true. You have almost identical drivetrain components. Especially so if you have an X50 or S model.

The GT2 does have diffrent suspenbsion arms and stiffer suspension.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I heard there are covers from the GT2 that you use. Is this the bolt kit you are talking about?
My point exactly. The GT2 uses an AWD tranny and comes with a cover over the front drive output.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I have never seen them. I have heard Rob refer to them as a bolt kit and that they are not very expensive.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I am still wondering how a GT2 differs from a TT with:

RWD
ECU flash
less weight
PCCB's
PSS9's

Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy

RWD
ECU flash
less weight
PCCB's
PSS9's
Drive one and you will see. As close as i thought they were, mine being without a sunroof, sways and coilovers, good power, rwd they were totally different feeling, crazy!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
2WD is a lot more fun to drive.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy

RWD
ECU flash
less weight
PCCB's
PSS9's
The differences have been discussed many times in other threads. I believe that the chassis geometries are different.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
one thing that most people don't mention is the fact that the gas tank on the TT is in a up-side-down U shape to accomodate for the front differential that sits underneath. Because of this, the center of gravity of the TT is actually different than that of the GT2 which would be in more of a U shape allowing the center of gravity to be lower.

another thing being the GT2 uses different control arms and suspension that rivals that of some of the best 'aftermarket' coilovers you can buy. PSS9 is really not a fair comparison to some of the best that Porsche motorsport has to offer for the streets.

Aside from that, bigger/ligher brakes come standard which accounts for less rotational mass, not to mention a slightly beefed up transmission, more power, less overall weight and true RWD w/ LSD.

a fair example would be someone going from a Supercharged 330Ci w/ your bolt on upgrades in coilovers, swaps, wheels, brakes and 'the works' yet when you hop in the M3, there are just fundamental differences that can't be 'made up' by simple bolt ons. The LSD in the M3 being one of those differences.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:27 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
was hot to do it however have heard no gain in hp .. drove a fairly fast 86t and a76t before my current modded 01.it's kinda nice not to have think not to lift off in the twisties... are worrie about that ever present wet spot aruond the next curve... or i could be just gettin old and lazy or is it older and smarter..got some new plumbing from alex maybe i'll rip the drive shaft out just for drill and sild around a while

Old 01-04-2007, 01:17 AM
doccao is infamous around these parts
I asked my accountant this same question...

Old 01-04-2007, 05:14 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by notquitefob
one thing that most people don't mention is the fact that the gas tank on the TT is in a up-side-down U shape to accomodate for the front differential that sits underneath. Because of this, the center of gravity of the TT is actually different than that of the GT2 which would be in more of a U shape allowing the center of gravity to be lower.

another thing being the GT2 uses different control arms and suspension that rivals that of some of the best 'aftermarket' coilovers you can buy. PSS9 is really not a fair comparison to some of the best that Porsche motorsport has to offer for the streets.

Aside from that, bigger/ligher brakes come standard which accounts for less rotational mass, not to mention a slightly beefed up transmission, more power, less overall weight and true RWD w/ LSD.

a fair example would be someone going from a Supercharged 330Ci w/ your bolt on upgrades in coilovers, swaps, wheels, brakes and 'the works' yet when you hop in the M3, there are just fundamental differences that can't be 'made up' by simple bolt ons. The LSD in the M3 being one of those differences.
That makes sense although if the 330i had an M engine in it that would make it slightly more compelling.... I guess I'm trying to justify the difference in MSRP which doesnt add up to me. But then again I rode in a Noble M400 yesterday and all I have to say is I MUST HAVE ONE!!!!!! That thing is insanely fast, with only 400 hp so I can see how experiencing the car can make one a beleiver.

On a side note I have to continue about the Noble, the car sounds like a V8 from the outside even though it's only a Ford v6 TT. The turbos are right behind your ears and you have never heard a sexier sounding BOV. And man does that thing fly, my butt dyno made me feel like I was in my 780rwhp TT vette. Although it does make a car seem faster from the passenger seat. When Neil was driving my 996 TT I couldnt keep my head from being pinned on the headrest. But anyways this car is sexy and fast but at 90k I'm not ready to buy a track toy like that one yet although I will probably have wet dreams of taking a corner at Road Atlanta in one of those things, that fast and that light, that car is sex on wheels. And the brakes are unbelievable too!!!!!

Back on subject, I think I'm gonna go ahead and make the switch although I was really salivating at launching this car at the drag strip a few times and I know the AWD would get consistently better 60' times. I think I may need one day at the strip so I will have something to compare it too.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-04-2007 at 01:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the RWD conversion benefits? (TT)