996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the RWD conversion benefits? (TT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:33 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
it is my understanding as well as from experiences shared by some of the members on this board that the AWD is one of the hardest system to get a good launch

Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
I like the "safety net" of AWD.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:19 AM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
I was just discussing making the switch to RWD with Neil at Orton Performance yesterday. It is a tempting mod...

Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
I will give some more impressions of mine after I pick it up today. Just had a gt3 LWFW and new clutch installed.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 AM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Rob. You have the entire front drive system removed or just disconnected?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Well I know I'm old now....I gave up my 930 (RWD, Andial ICs...) because it was a PIA to drive around. Of course this thing had a K27 turbo and talk about lag....but when it kicked in it was scarry fast. That is one of the reasons I went with the TT. Power with control all in a cab. No RWD for me (I think Porsche did a pretty good job engineering the AWD) not that matters to anyone. If I wanted RWD...I'g get a GT2.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I dont know, all ihave to say is my GT2 being RWD is SCARY modified! 2nd and 3rd gear in this cold weather, the power is so smooth and hardly any lag and bam back end is whipping out in 2nd and 3rd, my turbo never ever did this being rwd and with TC off, and it was putting out very good power.

The difference between the 2 is beyond me, the Turbo with RWD conversion IMO is 100x safer then a GT2 LOL!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I dont know, all ihave to say is my GT2 being RWD is SCARY modified! 2nd and 3rd gear in this cold weather, the power is so smooth and hardly any lag and bam back end is whipping out in 2nd and 3rd, my turbo never ever did this being rwd and with TC off, and it was putting out very good power.

The difference between the 2 is beyond me, the Turbo with RWD conversion IMO is 100x safer then a GT2 LOL!
I think the 996tt with RWD is a good compromise for those wanting a GT2 but not quite up to the task of a 500+ hp, RWD car with no traction control. I dont think I would be comfortable driving a GT2, too scary .

Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by atlshaver
Thanks Rob. You have the entire front drive system removed or just disconnected?
I have the whole thing removed. I just went for it after martin's and others experience. I wanted the weight reduction. I love the idea of the car losing weight, stops faster, accelerates faster, turns more easily etc. I was surprised though at how light the front driveshaft and differential are. I havent weighed it all yet but Im guessing the front diff and driveshaft is only about 60 or 70 lbs. With the front axles, the total is probably 100 lbs or so. I think for those wanting to drive the car daily or those who have alot of wet conditions, just keep it AWD. I live in arizona where it doesnt rain too much and if it does, I am happy to leave it in the garage and drive my truck. The car handles more crisply now and the whole experience seems more serious and focused. Its good.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
I think the 996tt with RWD is a good compromise for those wanting a GT2 but not quite up to the task of a 500+ hp, RWD car with no traction control. I dont think I would be comfortable driving a GT2, too scary .
Couldnt agree with you more, although this car is giving me the thrill of my ex m3 because its so in your face and raw, the 996TT is SO USEABLE under mostly any conditions!

I love both and need some good seat time in my GT2, next up is fully corner balancing and setting up my Moton's and then PS2's or Toyo RA1's, these Michelin PS1's SUCK!

Glad you like the conversion, it was one of the best upgrades for the turbo!

Martin

Old 01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Someone still needs to explain to me how a RWD version of and AWD car is easier to launch, something that I can understand. It is historically known that AWD launches harder, especially on street tires. I would be willing to put money that 60' times are more consistant and faster on an AWD turbo than a RWD turbo. I need some concrete evidence to support a counter claim. I do agree to the rest of the advantages though. It may be only on street tires that AWD is better but I know for a fact that AWD is better for launching. Willing to test it out too........

Old 01-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The issue is that in order to get the front wheel drive to do any real work, you need to spin the rear tires (viscous coupling). Spinning the rear tires causes real bad wheel hop that is counterproductive (in both RWD and AWD).

The bottom line is that you have to get just the right start with little wheel spin (and no wheel hop). As such RWD allows more power to get to the ground due to less friction loss. The basic benefits of a RWD conversion.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
The issue is that in order to get the front wheel drive to do any real work, you need to spin the rear tires (viscous coupling). Spinning the rear tires causes real bad wheel hop that is counterproductive (in both RWD and AWD).

The bottom line is that you have to get just the right start with little wheel spin (and no wheel hop). As such RWD allows more power to get to the ground due to less friction loss. The basic benefits of a RWD conversion.
So the front tires dont have a good ratio of power being spread to them unless the rear tires lose traction? What causes oversteer then? I thought it was due to the front tires being powered and therefore giving less traction at the front. If it is the case that the front tires are only used during loss of rear traction, then it is useless..... well at least for my purposes.

What is the ratio of power anyways? Also has anyone removed and then replaced the AWD? Is it much harder to put back on that to take off.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
My GT2 on high boost will break the rear wheels loose in virtually any and all conditions: traces of water, oil, gravel....giving it more than 70% throttle in the lower gears, more than 80% in third and matting it in fourth.

It is simply scary (albeit absolutely thrilling) to drive on high boost. To be honest, I spend 98% of my driving on low boost where it is still very very easy to loose control of this car.

That is why they are called Widowmakers.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The ratio is 5% front 95% rear. Porsche says that viscous coupling can transfer as much as 40% to the front, given spinning rear tires. But I am skeptical. Have you seen the videos of people doing donuts in the snow and ice? The front tires do not spin continuously and seem lurch on and off. The only way I can translate that is that they are not receiving significant or continuous torque.

My experience was that you didn't want to spin the tires due to bad wheel hop (which is really hard on parts). The car is definitely faster in RWD because you are getting that extra 5% to the rear wheels and don't have to spin all that mass at all times. The wheel hop is even worse with the stock suspension. The Pss9s seem to control it lot better, not sure if it's spring rates, dampening, or simply less travel. You can drive the car like a rear wheel drive and slide the rear all day even in AWD.

I believe a big reason GT2s spin the tires harder has to do with more camber. The tires are sitting on their edge (to optimize handling) and do not grip the pavement so well going straight. You can dial up the camber (with a GT2 spec alignment) on your TT and I bet you will notice a loss in straight line grip. I believe I was reading Sharky? having that issue with the Black Mamba back in the day when he was trying to set the record. Maybe Sharky can chime in here.

I understand it is easier to take off than to re-install AWD because you have to replace a bolt which comes apart in two pieces. Given those parts I think it's pretty elemental. I am happy enough with the drive shaft removed, but sometimes wonder what the effect of the front diff is on the steering. No matter how loosely, they are still connected..

Originally Posted by heavychevy
So the front tires dont have a good ratio of power being spread to them unless the rear tires lose traction? What causes oversteer then? I thought it was due to the front tires being powered and therefore giving less traction at the front. If it is the case that the front tires are only used during loss of rear traction, then it is useless..... well at least for my purposes.

What is the ratio of power anyways? Also has anyone removed and then replaced the AWD? Is it much harder to put back on that to take off.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 01-11-2007 at 02:14 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the RWD conversion benefits? (TT)