996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the RWD conversion benefits? (TT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have the full rwd conversion done by Protomotive....
Im very happy with it...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm not really afraid of my car being RWD because my Twin Turbo vette is my daily driver and is is traction waiting to be LOST!. I couldnt imagine being in a modded GT2 with not PSM, I turned my traction control off in my vette just to day to get some sideways action and I have had some close calls but I have never snapped sideways like today, needless to say, traction control will stay on in the vette.

My TT will be RWD fairly soon.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:29 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ari
The ratio is 5% front 95% rear. Porsche says that viscous coupling can transfer as much as 40% to the front, given spinning rear tires. But I am skeptical. Have you seen the videos of people doing donuts in the snow and ice? The front tires do not spin continuously and seem lurch on and off. The only way I can translate that is that they are not receiving significant or continuous torque.
this appears to be another way of describing the feel of the car towing you from the front while you're trying to push from the rear. It gives the car a very unsettling feel especially during high speed banks.

going RWD is definitely not going to give you "better" traction, but it sure does make the car more predictable, and in some cases, easier to recover from 'some' situations. the improvement in acceleration and lighter steering makes the conversion a worthwhile investment for me.

@ 65 dollars for half hour labor to remove the driveshaft, I must say it's the best bang for the buck for me so far.

** i plan to keep the front diff in should i experience the need to convert back to AWD when I can afford some magic dust from todd@protomotive.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:20 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm not really afraid of my car being RWD because my Twin Turbo vette is my daily driver and is is traction waiting to be LOST!. I couldnt imagine being in a modded GT2 with not PSM, I turned my traction control off in my vette just to day to get some sideways action and I have had some close calls but I have never snapped sideways like today, needless to say, traction control will stay on in the vette.

My TT will be RWD fairly soon.
Its thrilling, to say the least