996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Tire Reviews, Comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Here is a write up I did on another forum. It might be worth your time to check out the Kumho v710. Rumor has it it will be the spec tire for the POC in 07.

We spent 6 hours testing different track tires a a year ago @ PIR. (Our tire of choice in the past was the Hoosier R3S03.)

Hoosier R3S03 and A3S03
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
Kumho Ecsta V710
Kumho VictoRacer V700

By far the best tire in the group was the Kumho Ecsta V710. It was far superior in feel, bite, responsiveness, and getting the power down. Not ta mention they knocked almost 1.25 sec off of our lap times versus Hoosiers (the A3S03 and autocross tire could not even come close). 1.25sec is a lot on a 1:24 lap time The Michelin felt ok but could not compare to either the Hoosiers or Kumhos.

Kumho has done a great job developing these tires. (night and day differnce from the Victoracer) Hopefully, Kumho will have more sizes available soon. I would love to run these on my street car since they are DOT legal. Give'em a try. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by L8Apex; 01-03-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
I didn't see the Toyo RA1's on your list. I had the opportunity to have a set on my car for a few weeks before putting the car away for the winter. My experience was all between 0'C and +10'C. About 2/3 of the time in the wet. The tires stuck exceptionally weel in the cold/dry weather. Didn't seem to take too much to get heated up. In the cold /wet, they were sgnificantly better than I had ever hoped. The RA1's seem to have a relatively deep tread pattern for an R compound. I may never use another tire again. I'll see how they wear this spring, although I'm not too concerned about getting a bunch of miles out of them. As far as a basic indication of grip with the 245F and 335R - it's very difficult to break them loose in first from a stand still - with my GT700 - I was shocked!
Toyo RA1's IMO are nothing short of amazing!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Did you test them on a 911? In my experience, the rear weight bias really tests the sidewall stiffness. Soft sidewall tires do not do well on the 911 due to extreme yaw..

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 01-04-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
Did you test them on a 911? In my experience, the rear weight bias really tests the sidewall stiffness. Soft sidewall tires do not well on the 911 due to extreme yaw..
This explains some of the complaints about the PS2's (?)

Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I have PS2s and was happy once I pumped the rears to 44 PSI. I now run 36F 44R. The added sidewall stiffness in noticeable. They grip better in RWD than my contis did in AWD. No joke.

Here's a controversial opinion. Porsche claims to have excorcized the 911 of snap oversteer with the 993. I think they just fattened up the rear tires (of course I'm sure a lot engineering went into the suspension as well.) My car definitely exhibited some (mild) yaw induced oversteer in off throttle turns until I pumped the rears up.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:18 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I noticed on my Toyo T1R's the sidewalls and tire was WAY TOO SOFT, but in fact it helped me grip better straight line and under boost out of a turn, but t felt sloppy sometimes into the turns!

The Toyo RA1's have a soft sticky compound once heated up, BUT the sidewall is very stiff not soft, like the Pilot Cup Sport Michelin's.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:58 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I didn't see the Toyo RA1's on your list. I had the opportunity to have a set on my car for a few weeks before putting the car away for the winter. My experience was all between 0'C and +10'C. About 2/3 of the time in the wet. The tires stuck exceptionally weel in the cold/dry weather. Didn't seem to take too much to get heated up. In the cold /wet, they were sgnificantly better than I had ever hoped. The RA1's seem to have a relatively deep tread pattern for an R compound. I may never use another tire again. I'll see how they wear this spring, although I'm not too concerned about getting a bunch of miles out of them. As far as a basic indication of grip with the 245F and 335R - it's very difficult to break them loose in first from a stand still - with my GT700 - I was shocked!
I have considered the RA1's but they werent on Tire Rack so I left them alone . At this point I'm gonna try a few and see what suits my driving style. I dont want to be sideline by a little wet, so something that's decent in the wet would be good. I'm almost certain I will be getting some R6's because I found a good deal on some. After that, I'm thinking.

A048 (Rode on some yesterday in a noble M400 , that car is insane! and I like the tires too)
RA1 (dont have a lot of info but have heard all good things)
MPSC (lots of $)
Kuhmo (hadn't heard all good things about these, though I'm not sure if it was the V710's)

Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
It seems to me that the tire answer would be the MPSC's have them heat cycled before you get them. They are capable of driving to the event and on streets and will at least tolerate some wet conditions.
Remember each tire is really designed to be best at one thing. Others that claim all round greatness usually are not really good at anything...ie all weather tires!
Again, the only way to help the problem is multiple wheel sets, I fought this at first but once you got extra wheels in the garage your performance improves!!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Tom im telling you ive been on both on the track, same car, Toyo RA1's blow the MPSC's out of the water, im serious!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I had MPSC's on my car when it make 580 rwhp and I absolutely hated them. I sold them after only 1 week of ownership.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
It seems to me that the tire answer would be the MPSC's have them heat cycled before you get them. They are capable of driving to the event and on streets and will at least tolerate some wet conditions.
Remember each tire is really designed to be best at one thing. Others that claim all round greatness usually are not really good at anything...ie all weather tires!
Again, the only way to help the problem is multiple wheel sets, I fought this at first but once you got extra wheels in the garage your performance improves!!
I'm not worried about driving on the street, first of all because I live only 7 miles from Road Atlanta which is where most of my track time would be spent. I also have a 24 footer for long trips which I will probably take to Road Atlanta for events just in case.

I do agree that I should have multiple wheel sets but I'm not serious enough into racing to buy them all rigt now. With my first set of track dedicated wheels, or maybe even two sets, I'm gonna try a few sets of tires and compare the ones that are pretty close to the came category, from there I can narrow it down. With all the sessions over weekends, I'm sure I can try at least 3 for this season alone.

I found a couple of tire websites that are substantially cheaper than tires rack, which makes buying multiple sets of tires even easier.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
and what are those sites!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
and what are those sites!
onlinetires.com has good prices on the Kuhmo V710 and better prices on the PS2's if you use those for DD like me. I havent found RA1's anywhere else so someone let me know if they are cheaper somewhere else.

Tiresavings.com also has some favorable prices. the MPSC prices are very good.

havent found the advans for better anywhere else.

neither carry hoosier

AM I allowed to post this? If not please delete. Not advertising, just did a search.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
I didn't see the Toyo RA1's on your list... About 2/3 of the time in the wet. The tires stuck exceptionally weel in the cold/dry weather. Didn't seem to take too much to get heated up. In the cold /wet, they were sgnificantly better than I had ever hoped.
zippy, can you elaborate more?

1st, i'm assuming these were 18"s w/ your current JIC suspension?

2nd, did the car hydroplane at all? or less than you expected?

i have Motons and 19" 315 PS2's and the car is downright scary in the rain. i need to find something better; if i can get a stickier tire and improved wet traction, i'm all ears.

- chuck

Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Tom im telling you ive been on both on the track, same car, Toyo RA1's blow the MPSC's out of the water, im serious!
Well because of you I am trying them as my next set, which should be soon!!

HeavyChevy, I am jealous at your location near Road Atlanta, lucky guy. But a spare set of wheels would be as cheap as a set of extra tires.
Get you car set up and we will meet up in the spring!!

Chuck, motons, 19's. and PS2 havent seen that combo before. Is that just your street setup?? curious cause just went to motons myself, but 95% track driven car. Are you having trouble with the motons or the tires? thanks, tom

Last edited by tom kerr; 01-04-2007 at 07:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Tire Reviews, Comparison