996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Tire Reviews, Comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Track Tire Reviews, Comparison

I posted this in the track/auto x section and got no response whatsoever so I'm posting it here too.

If someone can provide a constructive comparison of any two or review of these three tire sets I would greatly appreciate it. These tires are to be used for pretty regular Road Course use and occasional Auto X. No daily Driving. Would like to know cost vs wear time and performance.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups

Yokohama Advan a048

Hoosier R6

Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 AM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Can't provide a comparison, however, having used MPSC (on stock 996tt)for both track and road, I could not fault them for track use.They were impeccable.

Road use is another story!
On the road, I found them frightening in very wet conditions not to mention all the **** that they dragged into my garage every day.

Not meant as a criticism of the MPSC and is not an issue if you are just going to drive to the track or limited road use in dry conditions.
Good Luck

Old 01-03-2007, 10:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Hoosier R6

last much much better than R5's
rain will be a terrifying experience (no daily driving on these)
fantastic track tire, very grippy/sticky

I use r6 on track wheels for track only (I have driven to and from track on
them and that was fine as long as it doesnt rain. R6 is a great high speed (will heat up sufficiently and become
like glue) track tire.

Marty K

Last edited by WOODTSTER; 01-03-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
From an autocross perspective, the hoosier and Michelin
won't get to operating temperature so they will not work
too well there, compared to the Kumho 710.
Joe Weinstein

Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Well what's the best all around tire for Road Course and Auto X? I heard the Yoko Advan A048 was good for both.

I heard the MPSC were pretty difficult to get to operating temps and running Auto X isnt vitally important as I will probably do so 2 maybe 3 times a year. The major concern is Road Course, but I was leaning more towards the MPSC or ADVAN because they have SOME wet traction.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I would go with the ADVAN in that case.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:52 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
I have run my MPSC at the roadcourse in the rain several times during open track days last year and they were fine. I have not had any problems driving them to and from the track in any conditions, but common sense goes a long way in these situations. MPSC need much higher inflation in the wet than the dry...all in all a great tire, although I would like to try the A048 in the future. Kevin

Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
KPG

...it all depends on the conditions.

Not sure where you live, but my experience in Sydney, is that the MPSC's are not suitable for freeway speeds in very wet conditions, particulalry on smooth road surfaces.I had mine on the car for around 10K including a couple of track days.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rafiki
KPG

...it all depends on the conditions.

Not sure where you live, but my experience in Sydney, is that the MPSC's are not suitable for freeway speeds in very wet conditions, particulalry on smooth road surfaces.I had mine on the car for around 10K including a couple of track days.
They are not my street tires, but I do drive them both ways to the track. I live in Michigan where many TT's can fall in potholes and never be seen again..just kidding... actually half the car is sticking out of the pothole. Kevin

Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't see the Toyo RA1's on your list. I had the opportunity to have a set on my car for a few weeks before putting the car away for the winter. My experience was all between 0'C and +10'C. About 2/3 of the time in the wet. The tires stuck exceptionally weel in the cold/dry weather. Didn't seem to take too much to get heated up. In the cold /wet, they were sgnificantly better than I had ever hoped. The RA1's seem to have a relatively deep tread pattern for an R compound. I may never use another tire again. I'll see how they wear this spring, although I'm not too concerned about getting a bunch of miles out of them. As far as a basic indication of grip with the 245F and 335R - it's very difficult to break them loose in first from a stand still - with my GT700 - I was shocked!

Last edited by Zippy; 01-03-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by Zippy
I didn't see the Toyo RA1's on your list. I had the opportunity to have a set on my car for a few weeks before putting the car away for the winter. My experience was all between 0'C and +10'C. About 2/3 of the time in the wet. The tires stuck exceptionally weel in the cold/dry weather. Didn't seem to take too much to get heated up. In the cold /wet, they were sgnificantly better than I had ever hoped. The RA1's seem to have a relatively deep tread pattern for an R compound. I may never use another tire again. I'll see how they wear this spring, although I'm not too concerned about getting a bunch of miles out of them.
Zippy, what are you comparing them to? I am interested in them as well. Kevin

Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KPG
Zippy, what are you comparing them to? I am interested in them as well. Kevin
Kevin, did you see this edit - As far as a basic indication of grip with the 245F and 335R - it's very difficult to break them loose in first from a stand still - with my GT700 - I was shocked!

These have been my first R-Compound tire. I've had Perallis (?), Conti's etc. The extra grip make me nervous about axels and the need for new brakes soon.

Last edited by Zippy; 01-03-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
unfortunately, different situations require different tires for optimal performance.
Your best bet may be to get several sets of wheels/tires for different situations.
tires/wheels are one of the biggest performance changes you can appreciate in competition, there is nothing better than the feeling of a great sticky tire in the correct situation!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 PM
quote: "...I live in Michigan where many TT's can fall in potholes and never be seen again. "

I sympathise with the pot holes.

I have so far lost two rims in Sydney..one on a 1994 GT4 Grp A Celica and my last car C36...tried but could'nt upload pics..

Old 01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
unfortunately, different situations require different tires for optimal performance.
Your best bet may be to get several sets of wheels/tires for different situations.
tires/wheels are one of the biggest performance changes you can appreciate in competition, there is nothing better than the feeling of a great sticky tire in the correct situation!!!!
Agree with Tom.Second that.That is what I'm in the process of doing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Tire Reviews, Comparison