996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Misc Questions: window seal, key fob, alum cluster ring, ssk, & int. buttons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:21 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
Misc Questions: window seal, key fob, alum cluster ring, ssk, & int. buttons

hi, got a few misc questions that I didn't want to make seperate threads for, so i'm gonna post them together and hopefully someone could give me some input.

1) what do you guys recommend to treat dried window rubber seal to fix creaking/squeeking noise when going over uneven terrain?

2) my oem black key ring hole doesn't seem to fit 90% of the key chains out there, including one I've had from mont blanc. Is the 911 Design, or CGT key fob any better?

3) how are aluminum cluster rings attached? i know it's adhesive, but what kind?

4) what's the difference between the B&M SSK and the OEM porsche SSK? I know b&m makes the oem porsche one, but are there any difference in what the kit includes for the different branding?

5) In what year did they switch interior buttons from gloss to matte? is it possible to switch them all to matte? if so, how much would it cost for everything including radio/aircondition etc etc

thanks in advance for your help !

Old 01-05-2007, 09:00 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I can answer a ouple:

1. Aerospace 303
3. I used UHU tac (others use silicone adhesive)

The others I'm just not sure.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:17 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
thanks, just tried the 303, will know if it works tomorrow on the way to work : )

anyone else ? 3 more to go ! thanks !

Old 01-07-2007, 04:10 PM
anyone ? hmmm... so am i the only one that is curious about this ?

Old 01-07-2007, 04:46 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I was touching my silver rings the other day and a couple were loose
and fell off

Wross what is the adhesive that you speak??

Marty

5. 2001 shiny, 2002 matte.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:20 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Marty, Read about it here:

http://www.saunders-usa.com/uhu/?brand=112&model=113

real easy to use.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 AM
anyone got any ideas about the key fobs or the difference between a b&m and the oem ssk ?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Difference between the B&M and Porsche is the color. B&M is purple, Porsche is black. Oh, also the price

Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 PM
for anyone else who's interested, the OE porsche SSK uses plastic instead of metal bushings making the OE shift 'quieter' than the B&M. Has anyone tried both and can comment on the throw reduction % between the two?

thanks !

Old 01-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
My windows also creak when going ovr uneven roads....I looked up "Aerospace 303" and I found a bunch of products, which exact one do I buy to use on the rubber seals and whats the exact process used? I.E. do I just spray the product on the rubber seals and wipe it down? If one of you could lead me in the right direction that'd be great . Sorry for my ignorance I'm just confused because they have so many products . Thanks in advance!!

P.S. I briefly felt the difference between the B&M shifter on my turbo and what me and my friend believe to be the OEM SSK on his GT2. The B&M did make more noise but it was tighter, more precise, and just felt more direct. Me and my friend both felt the B&M felt better. Help this helps

-Justin

Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 AM
996Carrera is infamous around these parts
The CGT key head is slightly bigger than the regular ones and fits the OEM keychains a little better. The matte switches came in 2002.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks 996 Carrera, I guess I'll try the key head when I get a chance.

Justin, the Aerospace 303 is the company that makes some pretty good products. I was actually given some by a friend, so i'll ask him which specific product he gave me. From the website, it looks like the wiper treatment is something that might work, although that's not the specific one i used. It's definitely not a permanent fix if you live in dry areas like southern california.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by notquitefob
thanks 996 Carrera, I guess I'll try the key head when I get a chance.

Justin, the Aerospace 303 is the company that makes some pretty good products. I was actually given some by a friend, so i'll ask him which specific product he gave me. From the website, it looks like the wiper treatment is something that might work, although that's not the specific one i used. It's definitely not a permanent fix if you live in dry areas like southern california.
Thanks Kevin , my 996TT makes many noises but only two of which I'd like to go away , one is the squeaking from the windows and second is my passenger seatbelt banging against the seatbelt holder when it is not being used. I figured a quick fix for tat is to just move it or wrap it in felt. Hopefully I'll figure out how to get rid of the window squeaking but I'm sure that will be an easy fix once I gather up enough motivation to fix it lol. I live in NYC so the extremely hot summers and extremely cold winters are probably not the best things for those weather strips haha

Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 AM
he said it's the cleaner. but he'll dig it up tomorrow and find the exact gallon jug that he bought in bulk a few years back.

by the way, I ended up buying the oem ssk, arriving tomorrow and i'll install at night. i'll keep you guys posted, but from what I heard, it's "safer" to do w/o SSK because of misshifts =p hopefully that won't be the case for me

Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 AM
No SubstiTTute is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I had the OEM SSK installed at the dealer earlier this week after living with the stock shifter for 7 months and 7k miles. It transforms the driving experience. Snick,snick, snick... no more rowing the boat. Sure there is a slight bit of increased effort, but it is not bothersome in the least. I actually welcome it. It feels like you are more connected to the car. Like many have said before, this is the way it should have come from the factory. No regrets here.