996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Do you do turn a wrench on your own Porsche?
Nope... I have no interest.
10.81%
Nope... I don't know how.
28.38%
Yes... I do my own maintenance.
9.46%
Yes... I do my own maintenance and upgrades.
20.27%
Yes... I do my own maintenance, upgrades, and repairs.
31.08%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

How many people work on their own Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
How many people work on their own Porsche

Just curious how many people actually like working on their own Porsche... doing things like maintainence and performance upgrades all on their own.

Joe West

Old 08-03-2003, 01:36 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I guess my answer is that I did the B&M myself and since then I am always at the shop helping do **** to my own car...I need some assistance sometimes but it is lots of fun. TheBailey install was a ***** though!!! Brakes were not too bad...

Old 08-03-2003, 07:46 PM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
i have neither the time nor the knowledge.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:31 PM
The reason I asked the question in the first place, is that for me anyway... part of the experience of owning a Porsche is spending time learning it inside and out... and tinkering with it.

Laying on my back staring up into the undercarriage while changing the oil or checking things out seem to be very therapeutic for me.

I suspected however, that I am in the minority... we'll see how the poll turns out.

Joe West

Old 08-04-2003, 06:43 AM
NC Bob is infamous around these parts
I do all my own mods, i.e., B&M, exhaust, cosmetics, etc. I have the dealer do oil changes and maintenance. No way to dispose of the oil and also want to keep a maintenance paper trail.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:07 AM
Service Manual Information.

One of the first things I did was to purchase the set of service manuals. I purchased it through Porsche at my local parts department.

The service manual is actually 13 volumes (3-ring binders) split into logical categories such as Body, Engine, Automatic Transmission, Manual Transmission... etc.

When you order the manuals through Porsche, you'll also get the supplements (updates) current at the time the manuals were packaged at Porsche. My set had supplements through number 22 and I ended up having to order (at a cost of $8 each) the remaining 10 supplements (according to my parts guy... the highest supplement currently is number 32).

The manuals are extremely well done with excellent instructions and pictures. They de-mystify our vehicles and really show how absolutely easy they are to work on.

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Originally posted by Ruiner
I do my own work for the most part. However, I am in the minority as well in the sense that I enjoy modifying/working on turbo'd cars.

I could really use a shop manual for this car now that I think about it. Does anyone sell them or do they have to be bought from PCNA or something along those lines?

Old 08-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Loren is infamous around these parts
Just an FYI... (Joe, with all due respect, I think your parts guy is out of touch)
Updated July 11, 2003
Here is a list of the most popular Porsche shop and technical publications:
Model -- Title -- supplements -- volumes -- part number -- approx. price
Boxster / Boxster S -- Workshop Manual -- 63 supplements -- 15 volumes -- WKD-483-521 -- $451.40
Carrera (1999 on) -- Workshop Manual -- 78 supplements -- 15 volumes -- WKD-483-721 -- $478.77
996 Turbo / GT-2 (2001 on) -- Workshop Manual -- 30 supplements -- 9 volumes -- WKD-484-021 -- $564.27
Cayenne -- Workshop Manual -- 12 supplements -- ? volumes -- WKD-484-221 -- $1500.00

Last edited by Loren; 08-04-2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi Loren,

I'm not sure where you got your information from... but I actually ordered the manuals directly from Porsche and I'm looking at them now.

There are indeed 13 volumes for the 996 turbo (not 9 as your source states) and the date on supplement number 32 is July 2003.

I suspect that whoever generates the manuals of which you speak does things a bit differently than does Porsche. Perhaps they purchase the manuals from Porsche and combine them? Perhaps the manuals are generated by another source?
I don't know... but I can tell you that there are indeed 13 volumes, and that the latest supplement is number 32.

Remember... I am physically looking at the factory Porsche service manuals AND the dated supplements.

In addition... if looking at them weren't enough, I called the lead mechanic at Porsche North Scottsdale and he confirmed 13 volumes and the latest supplement they have is number 30 (hehe... I've got more up to date material than the dealership <grin>)

I'm beginning to suspect that someone other than the factory must be producing a set of service manuals for the 996TT.

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Originally posted by Loren
Just an FYI... (Joe, with all due respect, I think your parts guy is out of touch)
Updated July 11, 2003
Here is a list of the most popular Porsche shop and technical publications:
Model -- Title -- supplements -- volumes -- part number -- approx. price
Boxster / Boxster S -- Workshop Manual -- 63 supplements -- 15 volumes -- WKD-483-521 -- $451.40
Carrera (1999 on) -- Workshop Manual -- 78 supplements -- 15 volumes -- WKD-483-721 -- $478.77
996 Turbo / GT-2 (2001 on) -- Workshop Manual -- 30 supplements -- 9 volumes -- WKD-484-021 -- $564.27
Cayenne -- Workshop Manual -- 12 supplements -- ? volumes -- WKD-484-221 -- $1500.00

Old 08-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Mods

I just have become infatuated with working on my Porsche. I recently removed my mufflers, and added the Bypass Valves. I do most cosmetic mods my self, unless they require electronic intuition, which I will not mess with. I basically do everything except serious maintenance, like oil changes and other vital engine fluids.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:33 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
I've always been a big advocate of working on your own car. I changed my own exhaust and will soon be changing my oil.

Joe...how much did your service manuals cost? Im looking to get a set as well.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Joe,

All of my manuals and information come from Porsche also. The information above comes from a Porsche TSB (dated the end of June). The amount of volumes is the amount without the supplements. Many times after enough supplements the number of volumes increase.

I have no idea how you got supplement s through 32 when they haven't been announced yet. My experience has been that after Porsche announces a supplement (in a TSB) it usually takes 3 - 4 months to get them here. For instance, Porsche has announced supplements through 78 for the Carrera yet their order system will not allow you to order past 74. Go figure?

As I said consider yourself lucky if you have new supplements not on the official list.

Last edited by Loren; 08-04-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:35 AM
I paid $638 for the set plus another 60 or so for the supplements which did not come with the set.

I think you can get them cheaper over the web, but I wanted the Porsche manuals and not manuals put together by someone else.

Joe West

Originally posted by BCS996TT
I've always been a big advocate of working on your own car. I changed my own exhaust and will soon be changing my oil.

Joe...how much did your service manuals cost? Im looking to get a set as well.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Loren,

This is very curious... I have 13 volumes without any supplements, and none of the supplements I have add any volumes but rather, replace/add sections to the volumes.

As far as the supplement numbering goes, I thought you were saying that your supplements went through 78 or so... but I could only find them up to 32. Are we talking the same numbers here?

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Originally posted by Loren
Joe,

All of my manuals and information come from Porsche also. The information above comes from a Porsche TSB (dated the end of June). The amount of volumes is the amount without the supplements. Many times after enough supplements the number of volumes increase.

I have no idea how you got supplement s through 32 when they haven't been announced yet. My experience has been that after Porsche announces a supplement (in a TSB) it usually takes 3 - 4 months to get them here. For instance, Porsche has announced supplements through 78 for the Carrera yet their order system will not allow you to order past 74. Go figure?

As I said consider yourself lucky if you have new supplements not on the official list.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Joe,

My first post has supplements for all current Porsche models. So the 78 supplements are for the Carrera/GT3 manuals.

I quoted you directly from a Porsche TSB publication -- not from any 3rd party vendor. The prices are from My-Porsche.com which is a Porsche dealer in Seaside (near Monterey), CA. If you would like me to email the TSB listing to you just let me know.

Originally posted by Joe West
Hi Loren,

This is very curious... I have 13 volumes without any supplements, and none of the supplements I have add any volumes but rather, replace/add sections to the volumes.

As far as the supplement numbering goes, I thought you were saying that your supplements went through 78 or so... but I could only find them up to 32. Are we talking the same numbers here?

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 PM
sdorn is infamous around these parts
I have changed the air filter in my car, hardwired my V1 radar detector, and installed the non-smoker center piece from bumperplugs.com. I might give changing my own oil a try as well, but that might be the extent of the work I do on my car. I like to do as much as I can, but get frustrated when I can't figure something out. Having the right tools and work space really helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many people work on their own Porsche