996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997 GT2. If you can't buy it, build it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:11 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Looks insane! Love the custom dash.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Really ambitious project, Love it!!!

thank you for sharing and making this forum great!!

Marty K.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 AM
silk55 is infamous around these parts
hi res pix are in order. i need new wallpaper for my desktop. LOOKS AWSOME!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Thanks everyone, but please remember - as I stated earlier - I am not working on this project and I didn't take the pics so I have trouble telling you any details. Sorry...

Old 04-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Porscha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by topcat4
Hello Erik, Can you tell me who supplied the various panels on the GT2?
I have a 996 GT2R which was built from a 996 T/T shell, and another GT2R under construction, for which I am considering going with 997 panels.
I am paricularly interested in the roof air duct and the front wheel louvre vents.
We tubbed our rear guards to get the car down to the factory ride height of an RSR, but in doing so, have severely restricted the air flow to the intercoolers.
We made all the carbon panels for our cars, as nothing was available here in Australia, but I would rather just buy the roof vent etc , if someone is already making them.
We have the 2 GT2R's, an '03 Cup Car, a 993 RSR, and a 993 GT2 (GT2 is being refurb'd.)
I'll send some photos of our cars when I work out how to attach the photos?
Cheers Wayne
Wayne - these 997 look panels are from ZIM in Germany. I have used his products on a wide body 996tt. I have him (Holger Zimmerman) working on the wide rear quarter panels but with 997 tt IC ducts. I purchased genuine 997tt intake ducts so he could do them in the wide body for me. I am sure he will do some for you. With these rear quarters, the air flow is better than standard to the IC's. The roof scoop, rear lexan window, IC duct and front fender vents are from his brother (Patrick Zimmerman) at DP in Germany. Hope this is useful. Would love to see some pics of your cars down under.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
topcat4 is infamous around these parts
Zim

Do you have contact details for Holger?
Our cars have the front panels as used by PSI Motorsport, But the ZIM front guards with the louvre vents look to be a better thing.
I have a naca duct in one of the rear quarter windows with ducting to the driver, and at times we get such hot air coming in it is like sitting in front of a hair dryer! I think it is a combination of the air coming off the front brakes and from the side exits from the radiators (Porsches shouldn't have water!).
This air flows down the side of the car and is picked up by the naca duct, so it is probably also being picked up by the intercooler side inlet scoops.
So by putting the louvres on top of the guards we can duct a lot of the hot air in that direction, plus I imagine there is also some aero effect to be had by exiting the air above the car?
Wayne

Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 AM
Hung is infamous around these parts
Wow...its a GT-jet...keep update the photo for sharing....

Last edited by Hung; 04-07-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Do you have contact details for Holger?
Our cars have the front panels as used by PSI Motorsport, But the ZIM front guards with the louvre vents look to be a better thing.
I have a naca duct in one of the rear quarter windows with ducting to the driver, and at times we get such hot air coming in it is like sitting in front of a hair dryer! I think it is a combination of the air coming off the front brakes and from the side exits from the radiators (Porsches shouldn't have water!).
This air flows down the side of the car and is picked up by the naca duct, so it is probably also being picked up by the intercooler side inlet scoops.
So by putting the louvres on top of the guards we can duct a lot of the hot air in that direction, plus I imagine there is also some aero effect to be had by exiting the air above the car?
Wayne
Holger is on +49 (0) 26 44 - 60 02 24. He makes the PSI parts for them, but the fender top vents are not standard. I think they are an add on from someone else. DP do something similar. Interesting hearing your experiences with hot air along the side of the car. I am going to have to look into that for my project. I guess the side exit water rads were not deisgned to be used on a turbo/GT2 with side IC's! I am sure the fender top vents will help in many ways by reducing the pressure under the wheel arch.Llet me know how you get on with Holger. I may need something similar. I can call him if you like.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:33 AM
topcat4 is infamous around these parts
The vents in the front guards on the black GT2R on his brothers website, look as though they were moulded in the guards, not added later?
Do you know if he is doing the 997 panels yet?
I'd be happy for you to speak with him initially to see where the vents are coming from? I have a race meeting in 2 weeks time, so the vents would be quite a help if we can fit them to the existing PSI front guards.
Is he doing the roof scoop and rear window?
Regards Wayne

Old 04-07-2007, 03:42 PM
The vents in the front guards on the black GT2R on his brothers website, look as though they were moulded in the guards, not added later?
Do you know if he is doing the 997 panels yet?
I'd be happy for you to speak with him initially to see where the vents are coming from? I have a race meeting in 2 weeks time, so the vents would be quite a help if we can fit them to the existing PSI front guards.
Is he doing the roof scoop and rear window?
Regards Wayne
The black 997 by DP has fenders to fit the 997 shell only but you are right, they have the top vents moulded in. Also, they are not as wide as the 997 panels to fit the 996 shell that ZIM does for PSI. If you are using the 996 shell, you will need the PSI/ZIM fenders and have to add vents. I have seen these available separately somewhere - when I remember, I will let you know. I have not spoken to him in a couple of months so I am not sure if he made any rear quarters yet. He only makes to order anyway.

The roof scoop and rear window and duct are by DP.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
WHERE did you get 345/35/18 Pilot Sports?????

Those tires are unobtainium at this point, discontinued years ago.

sigh, I want airjacks on my car

Old 04-07-2007, 05:22 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vicious
WHERE did you get 345/35/18 Pilot Sports?????

Those tires are unobtainium at this point, discontinued years ago.

sigh, I want airjacks on my car
Try Pilot Sport Cups. The size isn't 345/35-18, but 345/30-18. If Tire Rack can't get them, you need a friend at Michelin MS.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
Try Pilot Sport Cups. The size isn't 345/35-18, but 345/30-18. If Tire Rack can't get them, you need a friend at Michelin MS.
Actually no, it IS 345/35-18.. as seen in his pic.

Like I said. That tire is unobtainium these days. And such a fantastic size too, shame they don't make the PS and Cup in that size

If a 'friend' at michelin can get them, please let me know.