996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive GT2 almost finished!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Actually if Larry was selling Marko blocks for $3k, he was making some good money back then....they only cost $2k bare, about $5k fully assembled and machined, sold on the street for around $7k. Now the 3.4 stroker that I had was significantly more...but that's another story!

Alex, if your game, I'd like to run your new Supra later this year. Hopefully we'll be near each other for some event in 2007.
Sounds like fun....would love to run the cars...

Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM
john revis is infamous around these parts
Jamie,
I read this thread with great interest. I hope you are doing well and soon get to enjoy the GT2. I see the pictures and feel like a family member is missing. Some cars we get attached to, and that certainly was one for me.
Best to you. John

Old 01-17-2007, 05:03 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Sounds like fun....would love to run the cars...
Sounds good. I'll let you know when mine is finished and we'll find that road in Mexico....you better be running 7's Are you going to be at TX2k this year?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by john revis
Jamie,
I read this thread with great interest. I hope you are doing well and soon get to enjoy the GT2. I see the pictures and feel like a family member is missing. Some cars we get attached to, and that certainly was one for me.
Best to you. John
Hi John, hope all is well. I think I'll be picking it up on the 27th, so I'll keep you posted and call you when it's back. I'll email you pics too.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
he would go thru 2 or motors a year.... if not more... not sure how good his build was... the block is only 3K...
the bottom line is that street racing for cash and street racing for pleasure are two different things...
However, VRalexander has raced some 1000+rwhp cars and has done well.
So I do believe that not all HP is the same... I really dont believe in dynos either... it tells a story but not the whole story.... just like Drjitsu said.... that a 580 rwhp P car(scotts) runs as well if not better then a 700+ rwhp P car... and why is that? In my opinion its the overall design..... and one word... efficiency...
just my opinion.
markski
plus 2...efficiency of the proto tune plus the fact that the GT2 was designed from the ground up to be as close to a street legal race car as possible makes all the difference in the world.

Claiming to have more knowledge/experience than me (which as a separate issue I shall not dispute) is not supported by the evidence of your argument. Ergo Hoc Proctor Hoc is an infamously fallicious mode of reasoning. To illustrate, you have raced a stage 4 GT2, but that is far from actually driving a GT2 tuned by Todd (which is really more comparable to the GIAC GT700).

Just look at the powerband and torque curve on a high hp Supra. Yes it is impressive, but peak power is only there for a moment. And please don't compare its capabilities when it comes to cornering and braking, especially in a race that is substantial. I need a car that is reliable as a DD yet can perform when and where I need it to (yes, it is usually in the middle of a fairly lengthy drive that a Z06 or something similar challenges me) and the GT2 is very hard to beat for that purpose. As much as I respect the Supra motor it is, at the end of the day A Toyota.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 01-17-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:26 PM
When did I ever talk about handling, braking, etc? Hell, I'm not going to even bother replying to your rambling post. I obviously really like Todd, but damn, hearing you talk about how efficient a Protomotive tune is, how it's comparable to a GT700 car.....I bet even he is by your posts....

Oh and here is one of my dyno graphs from my Supra showing peak power only there for a moment. No nitrous, just 37 psi and a very mild tune.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
VRAlexander
Sounds good. I'll let you know when mine is finished and we'll find that road in Mexico....you better be running 7's Are you going to be at TX2k this year?
Going to try to make TX2k....as for 7's ?????? All I know is 1530hp to the wheels with no NOS ....we are shooting for high 180's in the quarter mile...the car is built for top end Mexico runs and not the quarter mile...

Old 01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
When did I ever talk about handling, braking, etc? Hell, I'm not going to even bother replying to your rambling post. I obviously really like Todd, but damn, hearing you talk about how efficient a Protomotive tune is, how it's comparable to a GT700 car.....I bet even he is by your posts....

Oh and here is one of my dyno graphs from my Supra showing peak power only there for a moment. No nitrous, just 37 psi and a very mild tune.

Holy laggins batman! You and your Supras... honestly...

Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Going to try to make TX2k....as for 7's ?????? All I know is 1530hp to the wheels with no NOS ....we are shooting for high 180's in the quarter mile...the car is built for top end Mexico runs and not the quarter mile...
New category added this year 60-140...especially for you Alex..

OHIOGT2...what are you bringing to tx2k7?

DRJITSU.. ....I want to see how much pull that proto pkg has over a stage 4, let me know when and where....I might make the switch if its significant...

Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by drjoe
New category added this year 60-140...especially for you Alex..
i think he needs a different class: 150-220

- chuck

Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Doc Joe,

My car isn't a pure proto set up. It was put together by a local mechanic with a good rep using S-Car-Go's stuff and Todds ECU work. I think I have the Garret 30's and that performance wise I am between GIAC's stage 4 and the GT700.

My quesstimate is that our cars would probably be fairly close.

By the way someone responding to my post by saying that they will not respond to my post and then of course responding reminds me of when a woman I am dating calls me up to say she is never calling me again.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Doc Joe,

My car isn't a pure proto set up. It was put together by a local mechanic with a good rep using S-Car-Go's stuff and Todds ECU work. I think I have the Garret 30's and that performance wise I am between GIAC's stage 4 and the GT700.

My quesstimate is that our cars would probably be fairly close.

By the way someone responding to my post by saying that they will not respond to my post and then of course responding reminds me of when a woman I am dating calls me up to say she is never calling me again.
Just for kicks wanna see if a turbo upgrade is worth it...i only put down 540 to the wheels and trapped 130..but would like to see what 600 does

Old 01-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Joe,

I can tell you the difference since I estimate my car makes about 520 or so in low boost. To be honest, I generally prefer driving it in low boost because I don't have to constantly worry about breaking the rear loose. For maximum power, I think that my car would benefit from MAF, fuel pump, and injector upgrades.

However, as mentioned I really don't need more power. I am already spinning the tires in low boost in many DD situations. I am going to upgrade my IC's for longevity and if I really want to race I will just get some race fuel and switch to high boost.

I just sank a fortune into my stereo and alarm system and am also having difficulty getting my state certification. At this point my main goal w/ this car is getting a reliable 8K per year from it for the next 6 years and not having to constantly hassle with upgrades and other work.

I may eventually go for an engine build and moton suspension.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 01-17-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

VERY nice.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Doc Joe,

My car isn't a pure proto set up. It was put together by a local mechanic with a good rep using S-Car-Go's stuff and Todds ECU work. I think I have the Garret 30's and that performance wise I am between GIAC's stage 4 and the GT700....
If your using GT30s in conjunction with an overall more 'efficient' than some claim EVO offers, you should be producing power in excess of the EVO GT800. That kit also uses GT30s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive GT2 almost finished!