996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive GT2 almost finished!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Mike,he needs the injectors, pimps, ICs... and Oh I forgot the MAF... then he can contend with the big boys... but for now Im sure its fast...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I think that maybe we are getting a bit too hung up on the term efficiency. It is a good term (originally coined by Mark) but, at least when I refer to GT2's in general, maybe a better word is balance, or harmony.

To illustrate, the original posters definition of racing is acceleration in a straight line. My take is that that is a very myopic definition. Racing is much more varied: It includes straight line acceleration, yes, but also turns, endurance, braking handling etc. And I don't want to have to wait until 5K RPM's for power.

I feel that the GT2 w/ Proto or GIAC modifications has the best balance between my broad definiton of "racing" and daily drivability. Now of course some may brand me a hypocrit because I have often championed the GT2 over the 996/997 TT since I feel that the latter has TOO many electronic nanny devices that detract from the racing factor. Of course the TT is definately a better DD.

Now back to my car, yes, as Zippy noted and Mark has politely pointed out to me, my car would be more balance/efficient if it had some other modifications, but I am done for the time being.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 01-17-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Dr jitsu - I suppose you are correct with your comments that a modestly modified GT2 is better than a modified 996TT as far as being a balance track car. Quite frankly, I'm not a skilled enough driver to exploite that potential on the track. If I push the GT2 as hard as I push my TT, I'd be dead. If you're good enough, the GT2 is supposed to be better. If you're not, you will be better with a TT. Just my most gracious opinion.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:52 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Joe,

I can tell you the difference since I estimate my car makes about 520 or so in low boost. To be honest, I generally prefer driving it in low boost because I don't have to constantly worry about breaking the rear loose. For maximum power, I think that my car would benefit from MAF, fuel pump, and injector upgrades.

However, as mentioned I really don't need more power. I am already spinning the tires in low boost in many DD situations. I am going to upgrade my IC's for longevity and if I really want to race I will just get some race fuel and switch to high boost.

I just sank a fortune into my stereo and alarm system and am also having difficulty getting my state certification. At this point my main goal w/ this car is getting a reliable 8K per year from it for the next 6 years and not having to constantly hassle with upgrades and other work.

I may eventually go for an engine build and moton suspension.
Very nice, on your low boost, just to guage where my car is at somewhat, do you break loose like back end whipping out no warning 2nd gear and 3rd? Cause that is what mine does right now 40+ degree weather, its crazy cause there is no warning what so ever!

I already lined up several HPDE's and DE's and i cannot wait to become comfortable with this car enough on the track with being on the throttle out of turns and so on, its a scary ride but also i havent learned its limits yet and its cold!

Zippy you are correct, BUT i feel if you are a DRIVER and know how to drive/and can learn your car quickly, anyone can become great in a GT2 coming from a turbo. ALTHOUGH, i have done wild stuff in my turbo that i couldnt think of doing in the GT2, i guess its a fear but also because it really is that scary/fast/dangerous!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Zippy,

I certainly didn't mean to knock the TT. They are GREAT cars. Tonight it is unusually cold here (around 32 degrees) w/ rain=icy roads. The TT would be excellent while driving my GT2 is out of the question. Many believe, and they have a very strong argument, that the TT is the perfect all around car.

Oh, and Martin, I forgot (it must be the xenophobe in me) to mention RUF. I would kill for a RUF 590.....maim and pillage for a 550. How are you liking your car? It must be a blast.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 01-18-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=OhioGT2]When did I ever talk about handling, braking, etc? Hell, I'm not going to even bother replying to your rambling post. I obviously really like Todd, but damn, hearing you talk about how efficient a Protomotive tune is, how it's comparable to a GT700 car.....I bet even he is by your posts....

Oh and here is one of my dyno graphs from my Supra showing peak power only there for a moment. No nitrous, just 37 psi and a very mild tune."

Excellent tuned Supra. Is this a 3.4L stroked motor?
I have owned built Supra, ViperTT and PorscheTT, these are all excellent cars and have the own uniqueness. I love and respect these cars when they are built well

Vincent.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I felt that the modded GT2 I drove was safer than my RWD TT. But I think that was only a matter of the power difference between the two cars.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 01-18-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:37 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Zippy,

I certainly didn't mean to knock the TT. They are GREAT cars. Tonight it is unusually cold here (around 32 degrees) w/ rain=icy roads. The TT would be excellent while driving my GT2 is out of the question. Many believe, and they have a very strong argument, that the TT is the perfect all around car.

Oh, and Martin, I forgot (it must be the xenophobe in me) to mention RUF. I would kill for a RUF 590.....maim and pillage for a 550. How are you liking your car? It must be a blast.
Been crazy busy and LOUSY weather (rained past 3 days straight) but cant complain, as if it were SNOW it would have been pretty bad

For the few times ive driven it, ive done some twisty runs and acceleration. Its hard to get traction in the colder weather, as i mentioned the powerband is crazy, hardly any lag to let you know ok lagggg BOOST then no traction, it just happens, WOT then bam back end is out without warning, pretty crazy but the car has ***** i'll say that much!

My turbo was damn fast for what it had, put down good numbers and beat worthy mentions, BUT it still cant compare to this setup. I want to dyno soon then test out the Vbox on it, just hoping for a free day with freaky warm weather

Old 01-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I felt that the modded GT2 I drove was far safer than my RWD TT. But I think that was only a matter of the power difference between the two cars.
Hmm interesting, also could be the power as you mentioned, weather and tires contributing to one's experience in either car!

I would love for you to drive my car and see what you think, considering you have driven and owned numerous fast cars, also not too many people i would TRUST behind the wheel either

Old 01-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
MArty, Ill drive ur car and tell u what u I think if u give me some of ur rep points LOL
Or is it the other way around.... LOL

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The GT2 was on OEM MPSC's, and made around 500 rwhp. I felt I could dip into the throttle without worrying as much about the rear end coming around. I think had it made 600 rwhp or so, they would have been very similar in feel.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
MArty, Ill drive ur car and tell u what u I think if u give me some of ur rep points LOL
Or is it the other way around.... LOL
for sure, i'll donate some rep's

I see Scott, maybe ts the cold weather and ****ty Michelin PS1's scaring me off

Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by iLLM3
for sure, i'll donate some rep's

I see Scott, maybe ts the cold weather and ****ty Michelin PS1's scaring me off
martin, you have to warm up the tires before getting on it (on a dry road)....otherwise you wise you will be sideways during the 1-2 shift....don't ask me how I know

On the track...I give it 100% on the straight aways, about 60%in the corners, 75% out of the corners, other wise I would be all over the place...(this is on slicks). I had a pro driving the p-car and he told me to pretend that I was like driving on ICE....and it said was a "Handful"...

Last edited by drjoe; 01-18-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Alex, you're going to have a hard time putting down anything more than 1150-1200whp to the ground on the street, even after doing long 2nd gear burn-outs....on 28" MT ET Streets. Slicks are even worse on the street. Trust me I know My Supra should also being trapping in that range, so could be fun. Is your car a 6sp? Get ready for lag on those GT40's....! Did you go with divided headers and housings with a larger off the shelf A/R?

Sharky, stop playing around with these gentleman's cars and jump to a real man's car. You know you've always wanted one

Dr. Joe, I'm not sure what I'm bringing down, but I may trailer the GT2. I'm sure it will be a last minute decision. The Supra won't be ready.

Vincent, thanks. Yes it's a high compression 3.4L stroker. IMO, paired with the GT47-80, the best street combo you can buy.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by drjoe
martin, you have to warm up the tires before getting on it (on a dry road)....otherwise you wise you will be sideways during the 1-2 shift....don't ask me how I know

On the track...I give it 100% on the straight aways, about 60%in the corners, 75% out of the corners, other wise I would be all over the place...(this is on slicks). I had a pro driving the p-car and he told me to pretend that I was like driving on ICE....and it said was a "Handful"...
This is driving around for about 30 minutes and was over 40 degree, if i hit it in 2nd not going 1st through 2nd and catching 2nd while first is spinning, back end whips out, 3rd to just by letting the boost build up a little then wham not as much as 2nd but still!

Im use to scary cars with no traction, my M3 was a pro at that, drifting in a straight line with me fighting the wheel to stay straight 1st through 3rd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive GT2 almost finished!