996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fire In The Hole!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:13 PM
ND4SPED is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Fire In The Hole!!!!

After having a fire on the track at Watkins Glen this past labor day due to a tire rubbing on a inside wall fender plastic lining and intercooler hose I decided to install a fire system the upcoming events on the track this year.
I was coming down the back straight at about 160 mph when I was shown the first red flag when I went to clear myself looking in my rear view mirror to stop I could not believe what I was seeing I looked like a comet coming down the track with a fire ball coming out of the engine compartment. Fortunately the damage was wiring related and no body damage what so ever happened to the car. If it was not for the small hand held Halon fire extinguisher I had by the passengers seat my car would have been totaled out. It was just enough to put out most of the fire till the fire trucks got to me to put out the rest of the fire.
I designed this system with the help of RPM Racing in Hicksville NY we did the following. Have a total of 2 Safe Craft RS 5-Pound Halon 130 Fire System. One bottle for the entire engine compartment with total of 3 sprays and the other bottle for the car interior with two sprays on the driver and one on the passages side. The system is controlled by two separate pulls which we located by the drivers window this we thought was the best location for me the driver and in case a corner worker on the track needed to reach in an pull the fire system. In addition I have a hand held with I replaced the original release due to it took me longer to pull out the fire extinguisher out of the 2 clamp mount. I have know replaced it with a Brey Krause Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mount (R-9520) which is designed for use with most 2.5 lb. extinguisher bottles and pull out as soon as you touch the release.
I am posting this this in hopes it will to let my fellow 6speeder's know that that this could save your car on the track and I will never go on a track with out a system put in any of my cars.

Attached Images   

Last edited by ND4SPED; 01-15-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:37 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about that and glad all is ok. We are required to have a 5BC FE for our SuperSolo events which is full passing.
Your set up is close to that of what they do in the cup cars.
Guess since you are posting this as a public service annonuncement would you also recommend the SFI 3.2A/5 driving suit? We use them and seems like a good idea! Did you have fire retardant stuff on? I hope so!
If you are running your car like that and afraid of fire (who isnt) Besides the suit of course I would recommend the gloves, shoes and fire retardant socks to all that run their cars in anything more advanced than a basic DE.

Last edited by tom kerr; 01-14-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I do use all the fire retardant equipment on the track!! I think is the only way to go.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:58 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Good to know and glad you and car are ok!!! But must admit for standard DE's in florida without the cool vest all that stuff is hot!! (of course not as hot as being on fire!!)

Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ND4SPED
I do use all the fire retardant equipment on the track!! I think is the only way to go.
Are you aware of anyone who makes a passenger side quick-release mount like your's that will work with the stock TT seats?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
sorry, I thought this was another of those hot sauce threads....glad you and the car survived...

Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Where you using 335's on the rear? You can modify the inner fender liner to get the required space in there. It takes a bit of work though.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Are you aware of anyone who makes a passenger side quick-release mount like your's that will work with the stock TT seats?
The mount is a Brey Krause which mounts on the stock seat bolts. The quick release mounts on that.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zippy
Where you using 335's on the rear? You can modify the inner fender liner to get the required space in there. It takes a bit of work though.
Yep 335's took them off and sold them. Did not want to go changing my set up.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Yep 335's took them off and sold them. Did not want to go changing my set up.
Yea man, i remember when i went to the shop and saw the engine out, heard what happened and my jaw dropped! Glad you were alright.

This spring/summer we have got to get together for a DE, keep me updated on which you will be going to, im not in the loop when it comes to these so much, so many events out there its hard to keep track

How is the car now? I met the new Porsche tech that RPM got, cool guy and knows his Porsche's, should be a great addition to the shop

Martin

Old 01-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Yea man, i remember when i went to the shop and saw the engine out, heard what happened and my jaw dropped! Glad you were alright.

This spring/summer we have got to get together for a DE, keep me updated on which you will be going to, im not in the loop when it comes to these so much, so many events out there its hard to keep track

How is the car now? I met the new Porsche tech that RPM got, cool guy and knows his Porsche's, should be a great addition to the shop

Martin
Hey Martin all is running great upgraded the IC's with the ceramic EVO's make a big difference.The new tech is a great addition to their shop. I will email you the events we are booked on when I get back to the office on Monday. Will keep you in the loop!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:56 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Hey Martin all is running great upgraded the IC's with the ceramic EVO's make a big difference.The new tech is a great addition to their shop. I will email you the events we are booked on when I get back to the office on Monday. Will keep you in the loop!!!
Thankyou so much and glad to hear!! I need a ride some day

Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Thankyou so much and glad to hear!! I need a ride some day
How's is your new ride!!! Sounds very cool.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 PM
How's is your new ride!!! Sounds very cool.
To be honest i havent gotten to drive it much, been pretty busy BUT for the time i did, its absolutely insane, i love it! This week i will start driving it a bit more, when the spring/summer comes along that's when i really start racking up the miles

If the weather is clear though tomorrow, i'll be out at Captree, drop me a PM if you would like to meet!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:14 PM
I will take a blast out if the weather is clear tomorrow. Is there a lot of P car's there tomorrow?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fire In The Hole!!!!