996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

UMW Stage 3A Zero Clearance Breaks New Ground: Dyno Sheet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:36 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Kevin, see the machine grindings on the top of the pump? Those are clearance grinds for the crank and rods.
Chad , I realize the pump needs to be profiled, but I need to ask what may be a naive question. How can an oil pump cost 10K....that is criminal

Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Chad , I realize the pump needs to be profiled, but I need to ask what may be a naive question. How can an oil pump cost 10K....that is criminal
That's for damn sure

Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
I think the gt3r pump doesn't pump any more at all than the stock one but rather has two pickups? You might have to run slicks pulling high lateral g's to notice a difference?
So now, how about the head porting and bigger valve work. While you're in there......lol.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Acropora
I think the gt3r pump doesn't pump any more at all than the stock one but rather has two pickups? You might have to run slicks pulling high lateral g's to notice a difference?
So now, how about the head porting and bigger valve work. While you're in there......lol.
Brad....you are way behind the curve, The headsa re being ported and high rpm springs and titanium retainers added....I like my stock valves, so I am keeping them. I dont want to get crazy

Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
THIS POST IS HOT!!!!!!!! I AM VERY HAPPY WITH ALL THE PROGRESS ALL OF THE TUNNERS ARE MAKING!!! I LOVE COMPETITION!!! I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TURBO THAT FEELS LIKE A GT3 AND RUNS WITH THE ***** OF A TURBO AND MY FRIENDS THIS MOTOR SOUNDS LIKE IT!!! ONE QUESTION CAN YOU DO THIS PROJECT BUT WITH A 3.8 MOTOR?? THANKS TO ALL FELLOW 6SPEEDERS!!!!!!!!!!
No need to shout...

Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
KPG
I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TURBO THAT FEELS LIKE A GT3 AND RUNS WITH THE ***** OF A TURBO AND MY FRIENDS THIS MOTOR SOUNDS LIKE IT!!!
Rob, I think you are right...This will improve on the massive low end grunt at 2k rpms of the 3A dyno sheet of 400 ftlbs with the addition of the heads and rods...The crank and case machiningwill allow much higher rpms up top with no oiling issues..I have total confidence that this will be the best of both worlds. I am just happy to be in on the ground floor with this project, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity...Why would you need a 3.8? More TQ....this will have plenty. Kevin

Old 01-21-2007, 12:10 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Rob, I think you are right...This will improve on the massive low end grunt at 2k rpms of the 3A dyno sheet of 400 ftlbs with the addition of the heads and rods...The crank and case machiningwill allow much higher rpms up top with no oiling issues..I have total confidence that this will be the best of both worlds. I am just happy to be in on the ground floor with this project, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity...Why would you need a 3.8? More TQ....this will have plenty. Kevin
Show off

Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
THIS PACKAGE SOUND LIKE IT WILL BE A 9.9 1/4 MILE IN A GT2?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:26 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
THIS PACKAGE SOUND LIKE IT WILL BE A 9.9 1/4 MILE IN A GT2?
From your mouth to GODS ears!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Kevin,

We should be seeing some dyno numbers from Todd's new DynaPack soon.

OhioGT2's car has the same setup as my previous bolt-on setup...but he's using GT30's instead of the entry-level K24/18g's that I had. His car will hopefully be on the dyno next week.

WHP #'s should be similar to the 3A, so it should make for a more accurate comparison.

Congrats on the upgrades. Now is definitely the time to do it. Things are looking more interesting for Tulsa every day.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 01-21-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
There might be a general misconception about the k24/18s... it seems like we all try to compare every other set up to it since Scott had so much success at the track. I would liek to point out that these turbos are the most affordable... entry level k24 based turbos. The beauty of Protomotive is that they can put together ANY turbo combination per customer's request. if u want gt28rs, gt30rs, gt35r... k24/20gs... or any other combo... it can and is being done.
Todd is the only, to my knowledge, tuner that water cools all of the Garrett GT based turbos...
The reason Todd is not obligated to sell only one or two type of turbo set ups is becasue he is also a programmer... thus it gives him flexibility.
I can go back to him right now and upgrade my GT35Rs to 76 mm lightweight compressors and Todd will do the dyno tuning... NO PROBLEM.
The cost of upgrading K24s to 18gs is less then silicone hoses other respectable tuners sell... how can you go wrong with that...
If a customer wants a Quicker spooling turbo one must share that with Todd during the early stage of the design process.
just my opinion...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-21-2007, 12:38 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Kevin,

We should be seeing some dyno numbers from Todd's new DynaPack soon.

OhioGT2's car has the same setup as my previous bolt-on setup...but he's using GT30's instead of the entry-level K24/18g's that I had. His car will hopefully be on the dyno next week.

WHP #'s should be similar to the 3A, so it should make for a more accurate comparison.

Congrats on the upgrades. Now is definitely the time to do it. Things are looking more interesting for Tulsa every day.
Not sure what you mean about accurate comparisons...I assume the 18G 700 kit is priced similar to the 3A at 21K....so If you are using GT30's that would make for a more expensive kit and a not so accurate comparison. Are we allowed to compare RWD to AWD now? In the other post you were critical of that....I agree, now certainly is the time, if at all... Kevin

Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
A 1000hp GT2 that will rev like a GT3 is a god's gift to mankind.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Not sure what you mean about accurate comparisons...I assume the 18G 700 kit is priced similar to the 3A at 21K....so If you are using GT30's that would make for a more expensive kit and a not so accurate comparison.
What I mean is the way that DynaPacks an DynoJets show torque. DynaPacks allow low speed boost onset whereas Dynojets tend to show later boost onset than you actually see on the road. Thus, a DynaPack is more accurate when it comes to torque measurements.

As far as the price difference between GT30s' and K24/18's, it's very small.

Are we allowed to compare RWD to AWD now? In the other post you were critical of that....
What I was primarily critical of was the comparisons between two different types of dynos, on two systems that don't make similar power. The 3A system uses a much larger turbo than a K24/18G system does, and obviously makes more power. But yes, reverse engineering the wheel HP numbers is another variable in and of itself.

Anyway, the GT30 setup will make more power than mine did, and will be dyno'd on a DynaPak just like the 3A was. I thought you'd be happy to hear this since it seems you want to compare numbers to a similarly built Proto car. If I'm mistaken, I apologize.

I agree, now certainly is the time, if at all... Kevin
I think you're absolutely doing the right thing upgrading. You'll be happier in the long run.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 01-21-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
There might be a general misconception about the k24/18s... it seems like we all try to compare every other set up to it since Scott had so much success at the track. I would liek to point out that these turbos are the most affordable... entry level k24 based turbos. The beauty of Protomotive is that they can put together ANY turbo combination per customer's request. if u want gt28rs, gt30rs, gt35r... k24/20gs... or any other combo... it can and is being done.
Todd is the only, to my knowledge, tuner that water cools all of the Garrett GT based turbos...
The reason Todd is not obligated to sell only one or two type of turbo set ups is becasue he is also a programmer... thus it gives him flexibility.
I can go back to him right now and upgrade my GT35Rs to 76 mm lightweight compressors and Todd will do the dyno tuning... NO PROBLEM.
The cost of upgrading K24s to 18gs is less then silicone hoses other respectable tuners sell... how can you go wrong with that...
If a customer wants a Quicker spooling turbo one must share that with Todd during the early stage of the design process.
just my opinion...
markski
I would love some turbos from Proto but im no fan of a BC on this car so, thats why i wan't go proto

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UMW Stage 3A Zero Clearance Breaks New Ground: Dyno Sheet