996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interpreting Type 2 Over Revs from PPI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Tim.....someone joy riding in your car!!!!

Carmen, there are so many good cars out there, better to calm down and take your time!!! Look them over, it is a buyers market the car out there that is perfect for you is just waiting, be patient, let us know!!!
Good luck
tom

Old 01-23-2007, 11:45 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
and it's not the other half.....

she doesn't like driving my car (thank goodness) so I figure it must have been a tech on a 'test' drive - might also explain why the radio is always tuned to some 'heavy metal' station when I get it back !!!

Anyway I'm not going fret over it - just let them try and deny a warranty claim because of it (Type II over rev).

Old 01-24-2007, 05:22 PM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
I talked to my local dealership Service Manager and verified he would not support a warranty claim. The car had 13K in type 1 and 96 in type 2 and he felt the car was chipped and abused, so no warranty. He was very straight forward and honest about it. So, at least now I know what I'm looking for and have to pass on this car. PATIENCE....I know it is not one of my virtues.

Thanks for all the help on this post.
Carmen

Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Wow Carmen good follow up glad you avoided that car. The answer you got was what we are all afraid of, good work. Happy hunting!!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Beach_Bum is infamous around these parts
In so I can remember this later.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
This dealership over-rev warrantee stuff is such BS. I know it happens but it shouldn't.

The type 1 is there because the "car" let it happen. The rev limiter is conservative.

The type 2 eludes me to this day... I have a few of them, but I've never over-reved because of a downshift. I have definitely hit the limitor, but never over-reved... not in years (I did it on a 4 banger I owned when I was 19... it lived but the sound was memorable). The dealer told me it's the only way a type 2 can happen... I think if you do a type 1, and pull your foot off the gas it will register a few of those as type 2's because the car isn't cutting the throttle on those ones... or... type 1, hit the limit down a hill? I don't know... something makes phantom type 2's.

Seth.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
SlowMotion.....

I agree - as I've mention before in this thread, something doesn't quite add up on the type II over rev's and I seriously doubt it was the tech test driving as in my case.
So I think you might be onto something, ie you hit a type 1 and take foot off the gas thus the engine is being driven by the wheels in a transient over rev condition which then triggers a type II.
Any one up for testing this ???

Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
If they're going to log overrevs, Porsche should log @ what mileage they occur also.

But, of course, they never will.