996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weight Savings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:53 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
I thought I heard people were removing bumper supports? Maybe using a off road version?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:25 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
How much weight will that save????

I'm gonna start a table based on what I think and what I've seen posted, if I'm wrong correct me. Just trying to get an estimate of exatcly how much weight can be lost without gouging the wallet or car.

Battery 37lbs
Spare and Tools 60lbs????
Seats 65lbs
Rear Seat Delete 15lbs
Wiper delete 3lbs
Wheels and tires 28lbs max
RWD 70 lbs
straight pipes, racing cats 55lbs????
LWFW 20lbs????

The reason I dont think wheel and tires are a big hit on the bank is because you can buy used, especially for the track and most times if you sell the full power seats you can sell them for as much as lighter weight seats or more meaning you make money. RWD is cheap LWFW may cost a bit. and a new exhaust will cost a little.
Updated!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
LOL my wallet isnt that deep yet!

I'm going to get a fabspeed exhuast/ and the light battery...i should be good for a few more weeks before the mod bug hits me !
If you get the light battery make sure you plug it into a charger at night, one like the porsche dealer has just goes in lighter and easy to use. I have used this nightly and at the track and no problems in over a year.
But be careful with keeping doors and radio open and on it wont tolerate that.
For a street car I would go light like odessy 928 not the one I have. Still will be alot lighter but not a problem.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
D,

A better question would be when is the car going into the shop? We are still accumulating parts from various sources, and I don't want to leave the car off just to sit in Neil's shop. When all the items for the internal rebuild arrive, I think that will be the right time. Also want to see the engine room completed.

Thanks for compiling the weight-saving list. It will be helpful to many of us who have little or no resistance or self discipline when it comes to modding.

Al

Oh, I thought I had seen where it weighed a little over 100 lbs. Either way, it's a sizeable weight difference.

When is your car coming out of the shop?

The mountain run was a blast, very bad for a paint job, but fun nonetheless.

Yes, I would love to see that Autocross, let me know when it happens.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
I wonder why haven't you guys mentioned lightweight doors! Nice weight saving there. For more info check out Manthey, Cargraphic, TechArt or some else euro tuner....

Old 01-26-2007, 11:53 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
If you get the light battery make sure you plug it into a charger at night, one like the porsche dealer has just goes in lighter and easy to use. I have used this nightly and at the track and no problems in over a year.
But be careful with keeping doors and radio open and on it wont tolerate that.
For a street car I would go light like odessy 928 not the one I have. Still will be alot lighter but not a problem.
Thanks Tom, i dont need the hassle to save an extra 10-15 lbs LOL, my car is already light as is!

BUT i will change the to the battery you just mentioned

Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
carbon fiber is your friend...and dont forget lighter stronger rods, knife edgeing and boat tailing! it all adds up.

Attached Images     
Old 01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Which CF roof did you put on??

Old 01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
Getty Design. talk to neil.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:55 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tradin1
carbon fiber is your friend...and dont forget lighter stronger rods, knife edgeing and boat tailing! it all adds up.
According to the pic it appears the case was also shuffle pinned. Do you have a pic of the other side so as to view the bow tailing work? Hope the crank nitrated after the knifedging?

Last edited by cjv; 01-26-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:25 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kaizu
I wonder why haven't you guys mentioned lightweight doors! Nice weight saving there. For more info check out Manthey, Cargraphic, TechArt or some else euro tuner....
Well I for one dont want to take body parts off the car so hood, doors etc are not being touched. I think if I was to go that far I would be better off with a cup car. For many of us we just want to shed some pounds for the occasional track days, not serious competitive racing.

Originally Posted by Al Norton

D,

A better question would be when is the car going into the shop? We are still accumulating parts from various sources, and I don't want to leave the car off just to sit in Neil's shop. When all the items for the internal rebuild arrive, I think that will be the right time. Also want to see the engine room completed.

Thanks for compiling the weight-saving list. It will be helpful to many of us who have little or no resistance or self discipline when it comes to modding.

Al
Well then you should have a chance to get out and thrash it a bit before hand. When is the first Auto X, I may want to participate in that myself. this time of year is so tuff because not many places to let er rip.

NP I have been searching for the weight savings for a while now and since the subject came up I figured I would help myself along with everyone else from having to search around and find the details. And I too fit in the non disciplined mods club

Old 01-26-2007, 09:01 PM
DMK
Banned
DMK has a spectacular aura aboutDMK has a spectacular aura about
I love the cabon stuff, Pccb are 20k for the 2nd gen. That was the damage to my pocket over the summer.

If you want to lose alittle more my bumpers are gone

Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
D,
I don't want to get off course on the thread, so expect a PM

Well I for one dont want to take body parts off the car so hood, doors etc are not being touched. I think if I was to go that far I would be better off with a cup car. For many of us we just want to shed some pounds for the occasional track days, not serious competitive racing.

Well then you should have a chance to get out and thrash it a bit before hand. When is the first Auto X, I may want to participate in that myself. this time of year is so tuff because not many places to let er rip.

NP I have been searching for the weight savings for a while now and since the subject came up I figured I would help myself along with everyone else from having to search around and find the details. And I too fit in the non disciplined mods club

Old 01-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by DMK
I love the cabon stuff, Pccb are 20k for the 2nd gen. That was the damage to my pocket over the summer.

If you want to lose alittle more my bumpers are gone
That is B.S., 20k for some brakes!!!!!!!!!!????????? I would have to be racing GT1, GT2, Ford GT, F1 and everthing else to spend that much or some brakes.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:00 PM
DMK
Banned
DMK has a spectacular aura aboutDMK has a spectacular aura about
Well I hate to break it to you yeah I spent right around 20k brand new from porsche pccb gen 2's. I bought them just to get rid of any weight possible. I have poured some stupid $$$ into my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight Savings